Admin Fees For Used Cars

Pss2

I remember more than 10 years ago when I was buying used cars, the first payment to make was

a. Down payment depending on how much you like to finance

b. Insurance

c. First month instalment (if under financing)

d. Transfer fee of ownership of vehicle (2% of sale price if remembered correctly)

It was all the while the above fees to pay for until government decided to set to transfer fee to a standard $11.00 regardless of make and model some 4 or 5 years ago in order to relieve our burden in getting a used car. I have heard from friends that an "Admin Fees" was implemented and we don't know which department of the government actually implemented this.

After a recent visit to the used car market, I was quoted a standard sum of $800.00 for the admin fee usually while a few others quoted $500.00. Some dealers even told me depending on how they play with the price. They can also waive the admin fees but it was already mark up in the car price. So I assumed this "admin fees" was implemented by Used cars traders since there isn't a real standard. All dealers I have spoke to so far all said that this is a fee buyer "must pay".

Does anyone pay for this fee recently when purchasing a used car?

↡ Advertisement

So far never pay before... my reason to them is you earn when I take insurance from you , you earn when you sell me the car , you earn when you take my car for trade in..... earn not enough liao meh?

I recently paid $300 as "admin fee" for my car. Some companies quoted even higher when I mentioned I'm not taking any loan with them.

I told them to just tell me the final price of the car (including all these admin fees, etc) then I will start to discuss about reducing to the amount that I'm willing to pay for it.

Just take it as the actual selling price of the car.

No point haggling for a $500 discount first then eventually they may try to charge you with a $1k "admin fee".

I did walk away from a few dealers when I felt that the prices of the cars that they are offering (with or without admin fees) were too high.

its definitely something used car dealers (nowadays) will ask for and also include in the sales agreement. And of course they will say its industry practice and all that bla bla bla. But buyers should be aware and negotiate accordingly. Like the previous bro, I did the same. They asked 500 but I negotiate with them saying Im getting insurance, loan, all from you so I wont pay. So yea, buyers must negotiate la.

Just look at the final price to decide buy or not... it doesn't matter how they coin the breakdown.. even if they tell u no admin fee.. does not mean its not included in the car price already.. 2nd hand dealers ARE selling old stuff with a definite mark-up anyways...

By and large, before you commit or sign and anything, pls ASK them any hidden cost(s) apart from the obvious items. Nowadays, admin fee not necessary only apply to buying used car, some PI also impose admin fee, if you are taking up a high loan. However, all these are negotiable. They will come up all sort of lame excuses to "earn" from you. Just ask around first but just like some bros mentioned that just treats it as part of the car price.

• Praise 1

if a car dealer tells me there is an admin fee of above $300,

i'll just walk away.... there r many other cars flooding the

market......

if its $50-100, i dont mind coz they have to full settle my car,

tow my car to their showroom (coz my car timing belt burst ),

get the despatch to collect my PIN number, do the

transfer for me etc....

Admin fee is all earning for the dealers only. You have the right to ask for 0 admin fees or walk away from the deal. There are still dealers who doesn't do all these crap.

Yup, never pay a single cent!

Admin fee is all earning for the dealers only. You have the right to ask for 0 admin fees or walk away from the deal. There are still dealers who doesn't do all these crap.

Never pay for admin fee for all my purchase on used car. If they insist they want. Go n fly kite. I always ask when nego price so that they no chance to play with figures.

Paid $500 as admin fee, only then I learnt It's a crap. Basically It's commission for the salesperson

Yes, you are right. It is basically commission to the salesman.

The used car salesman told me himself.

Nowadays everything also done online, not much paperwork. What 'admin fee'?