4x4 Road Trip : 2 wks of SIN-CHINA-MONGOLIA-SIBERIA

Super7

'Wanna do a 8-weeks SIN-THAI-LOAS-CHINA-MONGOLIA-SIBERIA trip in a 4x4 convoy?' Someone I know who co-drove a 4x4 from London-Europe-India-Singapore few years ago asked me in June this year.

After juggling some dates (prior travel commitments), I managed to find 2 weeks in August which I can fit into the end June to end September full trip (about 60days) as a part time member of the 4x4 convoys of about 15 modified vehicles.

I joined the 60 strong group at the two flag-offs in SG and KL in end June, but didn't follow the 1st segment ie SIN-KL-THAI-LOAS-YUNAN-GUIZHOU.

I flew Sin-Beijin-Zhangjiajie in early Aug to join the group when they reached Wunan from Guizhou.

The group consists of both seasoned/hardcore 4x4 adventurers and first timers like me. It's a mix of nationalities - MY, SG, AUS, INDON, PRC, CANADA, NORWAY, etc.

From Wunan, we travelled thru about 7 provinces, 2200km+-, including 黄山, 南京, 徐州, 青岛, 烟台, etc, then a 7 hours car ferry to 大连 where I left the group and flew home. The group continued to inner Mongolia from there, then into outer Mongolia, Siberia. The total distance is about 23,000km if I had taken the full trip starting from Singapore!!

Well, I hope to do the full trip if I have the opportunity again!

Pics showing some of 4x4s, mid night petrol stop, the mountains where movie Avatar was filmed.

post-944-0-51040700-1409675737_thumb.jpg

post-944-0-98739900-1409675828_thumb.jpg

post-944-0-75613700-1409675960_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 10

"Avatar" mountains

My own pics were not well taken (shaky hand, foggy weather), so i borrowed some well taken pics to give an idea of the scenary we saw. Apologies

post-944-0-30141300-1409679577.jpg

post-944-0-84514600-1409679589.jpg

post-944-0-20124200-1409679619.jpg

post-944-0-98374200-1409679634_thumb.jpg

post-944-0-60110100-1409679663.jpg

Edited by Super7
  • Praise 4

I have owned a Pajero before. These 4x4s, mainly lifted/modified Landcruisers used on the trip are at least another 15 inches taller than the stock Pajero!! The bonnet is as tall as the roof of a sedan.

Being diesel powered, they have lots of torque. it's not difficult to drive such a tall 4x4, just have to respect and give allowance for the high CG when we make turns or change directions at speed above 100kmh. BTW, most of the Landcruisers provided by the organiser are more 15 years old, but are as solid as rock! Some members use their own 4x4s.

I have owned a Pajero before. These 4x4s, mainly lifted/modified Landcruisers used on the trip are at least another 15 inches taller than the stock Pajero!! The bonnet is as tall as the roof of a sedan.

Being diesel powered, they have lots of torque. it's not difficult to drive such a tall 4x4, just have to respect and give allowance for the high CG when we make turns or change directions at speed above 100kmh. BTW, most of the Landcruisers provided by the organiser are more than 15 years old, but are as solid as rock! Some members use their own 4x4s.

Edited by Super7
  • Praise 1

WOW!!!!! Looks damm exciting.

Some roads really scary. [sweatdrop]

Most I done was a few days in Pahang jungle in a Jeep 4X4.

U never post pics of the rugged off road terrain which u needed to cover. [confused]

Oh n Pajero was the Paris to Dakar rally champion several years continious. They r so tough the logging companies in Msia only use them to get around in the jungle.

Now seems the Landcruiser is the one to get. I think their fuel consumption wil b scary.

I see the pics of all the 4x4 looks like a military operation n all ready to go to war. [nod][thumbsup]

• Praise 1

WOW!!!!! Looks damm exciting.

Some roads really scary. [sweatdrop]

Most I done was a few days in Pahang jungle in a Jeep 4X4.

U never post pics of the rugged off road terrain which u needed to cover. [confused]

Oh n Pajero was the Paris to Dakar rally champion several years continious. They r so tough the logging companies in Msia only use them to get around in the jungle.

Now seems the Landcruiser is the one to get. I think their fuel consumption wil b scary.

I see the pics of all the 4x4 looks like a military operation n all ready to go to war. [nod][thumbsup]

The leader who drove vehicle #1, and the sweeper who drove the last vehicle are both veterans of about 19 years in trans-continents 4x4 auto venture and are superb in leading n controlling convoys thru rough as well as chaotic urban traffic routes. What's missing are heavy, vehicle-mounted machine guns to complete the military-action-ready convoy.

You should see how the convoy charged down the roads in tight formation of 3 by 5, kicking up clouds of dust!

Every morning it's either 567, or 678! You know what these numbers mean?

Edited by Super7

How much the total cost?

Typically about rm500 per day covering food, hotel (but excludes camping gears), fuel, tours. Airfares excluded.

Edited by Super7

Supercharged

What other 4x4 are there in the convey besides Landcrusiers? I saw Hilux pickups.....what else ?

Typically about rm500 per day covering food, hotel (but excludes camping gears), fuel, tours. Airfares excluded.

Got sponsor or self pay one ?

Supercharged

You should see how the convoy charged down the roads in tight formation of 3 by 5, kicking up clouds of dust!

Every morning it's either 567, or 678! You know what these numbers mean?

Simi si formation 3 by 5 ? I only know human orgy formation is 3P or 5P... [grin]

Simi si 123, 345, 567, 678, ? Is it a new mass orgy record by some grouping leh... [grin]

wow! tks for sharing. I don't know many Singaporeans whom will do something like this.... ive always "enjoyed" long road trip especially if done with the right ppl and vehicles.

Simi si formation 3 by 5 ? I only know human orgy formation is 3P or 5P... [grin]

Simi si 123, 345, 567, 678, ? Is it a new mass orgy record by some grouping leh... [grin]

How come you are here? for 4x4 info?

Not worried you will get bored?

What other 4x4 are there in the convey besides Landcrusiers? I saw Hilux pickups.....what else ?

Got sponsor or self pay one ?

Got, PRC companies partial sponsored. Nanjing TV also sent chiobu tv host follow the group for a few weeks.

Got Ford Ranger, HiLux, Prado, Toyota FJ, PAJERO Sports etc, these are private 4x4s, not fleet 4x4s

wow! tks for sharing. I don't know many Singaporeans whom will do something like this.... ive always "enjoyed" long road trip especially if done with the right ppl and vehicles.

It's a good, fun, eye opening trip for me the rookie.

Maybe proper 4x4s like those in the group are too expensive n impractical in SGP? That's why not many such adventurers.

The 15yro Landcruisers used here are about rm30k each in MY fully equipped, not too unaffordable.

Supercharged

Got, PRC companies partial sponsored. Nanjing TV also sent chiobu tv host follow the group for a few weeks.

NPNT. :D

Got Ford Ranger, HiLux, Prado, Toyota FJ, PAJERO Sports etc, these are private 4x4s, not fleet 4x4s

Which one is most reliably and has the best off-road ability ?

Anyway I'm surprised not a single Land Rover is in the convey....cos usually LR is famous for such 4x4 trips.

How come you are here? for 4x4 info?

Not worried you will get bored?

With you around, it'll be fun instead of bored.

So what is 567, 678..... :blink:

1. NPNT. :D

2. Which one is most reliably and has the best off-road ability ?

Anyway I'm surprised not a single Land Rover is in the convey....cos usually LR is famous for such 4x4 trips.

3. With you around, it'll be fun instead of bored.

So what is 567, 678..... :blink:

1. Pics file too big to upload, which app can reduce file sizes hah?

2. By right LRs are good for off road, but spare parts could be difficult to find in places like China etc where the brand is not as popular as Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi which are mass market leaders

Also these 90s jipoon 4x4s are low tech, ie easy to repair in far away places

So in a way, LRs have these limitations for such a trip.

3. The numbers are vital!!! Keep guessing, kekeke

Edited by Super7

Wow! Nice! I would love to join if I had the appropriate vehicle. Currently I am driving a altis.. Maybe I will change to SUV if Coe goes back to the 08/09 pricing...

Alternatively, take the hop-in-n-drive package which lets you share driving the fleet 4x4, no worries about wear n tear etc, unless you go on such trips very often to make full use of your own 4x4.

↡ Advertisement