Self Sealing Tyres

Enye

What is your opinion of self sealing tyres?

would you pay more for such technology in tyres?

with this type of tyres, spare tyre would probably not be necessary even on long trips as we can drive to the nearest tyre shop to plug the leak if any.

appreciate any comments.

thanks.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Cool, but think expensive !

with this type of tyres, spare tyre would probably not be necessary even on long trips as we can drive to the nearest tyre shop to plug the leak if any.

appreciate any comments.

thanks.

• Praise 1

For me, I won't mind paying a little more for the peace of mind during long trips or when wife is driving the kids alone provided the technology really works of course

Don't know where to buy

but will buy since blow outs

is something very hard to control.

:D

Regular tyre shop doesn't carry such tyre models?

• Praise 1

P7C is self sealing in some sizes, but not full runflat

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/sg/en/car/sheet/cinturato_p7.html

u can see which sizes are runflat which have self sealing

used b4 in 17 and 18 inch, no difference from normal tyres, dont have the harshness associated with those true runflats on beemers

Edited by Furrynadz
  • Praise 3

Regular tyre shop doesn't carry such tyre models?

What size are you looking for?

These Factory made self-sealing tyres are not available in many sizes...

appreciate any comments.

thanks.

Self sealing tyres? Neh heard of it before. I go google now!

Don't know where to buy

but will buy since blow outs

is something very hard to control.

iirc, years ago, there is a type of tyre sealant that was added into the tyres, via the tyre valves. In event a tiny leak, the sealant would "bleed with the leaking air" and seal the tiny leak. There were comments that tyre shops don't like to repair tyres with sealant, because it is very messy with the gooey sealant.

And blow outs mean all the sealant would be "blown out" as well, and would not be effective. Only effective for small leaks.

Alternatively, some DIY shops sell "seal a flat" canister, that seal small leak and inflate the tyre.

What size are you looking for?

These Factory made self-sealing tyres are not available in many sizes...

not particularly looking for tyres right now

but surprised that this little development in tyre technology is so "undermarketed" given it's potential

i only recently read about this

iirc, years ago, there is a type of tyre sealant that was added into the tyres, via the tyre valves. In event a tiny leak, the sealant would "bleed with the leaking air" and seal the tiny leak. There were comments that tyre shops don't like to repair tyres with sealant, because it is very messy with the gooey sealant.

And blow outs mean all the sealant would be "blown out" as well, and would not be effective. Only effective for small leaks.

Alternatively, some DIY shops sell "seal a flat" canister, that seal small leak and inflate the tyre.

THIS product is best carry for emergency only with small hole

have seen in the market this sealant with pressure I shot go in the small hole punctured tyre also can seal within just minute

but is still a temporary measure and best get in repair internally to make sure no internal damaged and have to remove the sealant inside too

but pleas do warn the shop you pumped chemical inside before they remove your tyre from rim

• Praise 1

My first thought is "what are the compromises?".

actually not much

seal sealing only incur a slight weight increase for the sealing material on the inside tube, other than that the construction is same to a regular tyre

from my experience on 17 inch p7c vs 18 p7c with sealing

sidewall/comfort/noise/grip..etc is virtually similar, none of the ride quality degradation with bmw style runflats

My first thought is "what are the compromises?".

Some drivers pump nitrogen air into the tyres and didn't check the pressure for months.

Tyres had a leak and car was travelling with under-inflat tyres for a long time.

If one got self-sealed tyres, how many will still bother to check the conditions of the tyres in a weekly basis?

↡ Advertisement