Install switch to disable airbag?

Pocus

Hi folks,

Anyone ever install a switch to disable front passenger airbag? Is there such thing in the first place?

The reason I ask is I feel like putting child seat in front so my kid can enjoy the full view of travelling in the car and see me driving at the same time.

I think it's a good thing cause the kid will learn the mechanics of driving and may even remember directions to places. Good for the kids mental development.

I say that is cos I grew up in the 80s and I remember seeing my dad driving when I'm sitting on my mom's lap and also remembered the direction to my grandma's house from home, even though I dunno the road names. I think I was only 3 to 4 years old then.

I now see my kid strapped behind the child seat and can only peek out the window at her side, and she don't even know how I make the car move or turn cos she is strapped behind me and can't see me drive. Kinda sad in a way for the sake of safety.

So thinking of putting a switch instead of buying a new car that comes with the switch by default.

↡ Advertisement

Should be possible.

my colleague disabled her passenger airbag for the baby seat.

If it's not too difficult, can check with your colleague how she did it?

Hope the answer is not "my car got the switch as standard" LOL

Hi folks,

Anyone ever install a switch to disable front passenger airbag? Is there such thing in the first place?

The reason I ask is I feel like putting child seat in front so my kid can enjoy the full view of travelling in the car and see me driving at the same time.

I think it's a good thing cause the kid will learn the mechanics of driving and may even remember directions to places. Good for the kids mental development.

I say that is cos I grew up in the 80s and I remember seeing my dad driving when I'm sitting on my mom's lap and also remembered the direction to my grandma's house from home, even though I dunno the road names. I think I was only 3 to 4 years old then.

I now see my kid strapped behind the child seat and can only peek out the window at her side, and she don't even know how I make the car move or turn cos she is strapped behind me and can't see me drive. Kinda sad in a way for the sake of safety.

So thinking of putting a switch instead of buying a new car that comes with the switch by default.

Are you sure the car doesn't have?

Double check the owner manual - for mine there is a switch on the passenger side of the dashboard - must use key to deactivate.

If don't come installed by manufacturer I wouldn't go messing about with it

Are you sure the car doesn't have?

Double check the owner manual - for mine there is a switch on the passenger side of the dashboard - must use key to deactivate.

If don't come installed by manufacturer I wouldn't go messing about with it

Yup, my Japanese car is designed from 2002 so there is no switch, unlike most current models which comes with the key switch.

Quite a bummer just to change car for this feature.

Of course I'm looking for a legit 3rd party switch, not a DIY thing that is too risky.

Not all cars allow you to disable the front passenger airbag coz of safety issue. I also do not let my child sit in front if possible. It's still safer to sit at the rear.

• Praise 1

If there is a switch that can disable airbag, then wouldn't it defeat the purpose of having an airbag to ensure your safety is protected?

Hi folks,

Can add a rely to the airbag but I dont recommend you playing around with it.

They are sensitive and might go off like a bomb if anyhow install.

If it's not too difficult, can check with your colleague how she did it?

Hope the answer is not "my car got the switch as standard" LOL

checked.

her is a 2 door sports coupe.

she got the workshop to disable the circuity of the airbag.

If there is a switch that can disable airbag, then wouldn't it defeat the purpose of having an airbag to ensure your safety is protected?

The switch is only to disable passenger side airbag to allow putting of child seat. The airbag is built based on adult's size and can injure a child if deployed.

Many new models now have this switch as standard to turn it off. I'm just looking for options to put similar switch on older airbag equipped cars.

Can add a rely to the airbag but I dont recommend you playing around with it.

They are sensitive and might go off like a bomb if anyhow install.

You mean relay? I read online people DIY the switch but I find it too risky. I was hoping for a legit switch that is installed with some wiring, like throttle controller or turbo timer that kind. But looks like not common.

checked.

her is a 2 door sports coupe.

she got the workshop to disable the circuity of the airbag.

Thanks, make sense for coupe cos passenger movement rare. But if I disable perpetually it'll defeat the purpose of having one like what bro 13177 said.

Hi folks,

Better don't lah bro.

She will have plenty of time to learn when growing up.

Kids mental not strong as adult if some accident happen(touch wood).

• Praise 3

Better don't lah bro.

She will have plenty of time to learn when growing up.

Kids mental not strong as adult if some accident happen(touch wood).

Hmm you have a point.... alright then I shall drop the idea.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1