BMW i8

NightWind

Hi all the i8 has been in the news for afew years and its nice to see a concept car that evolved into actual mass production. Below is the youtube video for your enjoyment. I wonder when it will hit our roads.

Unlike the Tesla this is a hybrid petrol and electric car which mates a 1.5L 3cylinder engine with a electric battery which gives 350BHP combined and 0-100kph in 4.4 secs.

In petrol mode the i8 is RWD. In Electric mode it is FWD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3NPhRpiRmc

↡ Advertisement

Hi all the i8 has been in the news for afew years and its nice to see a concept car that evolved into actual mass production. Below is the youtube video for your enjoyment. I wonder when it will hit our roads.

Unlike the Tesla this is a hybrid petrol and electric car which mates a 1.5L 3cylinder engine with a electric battery which gives 350BHP combined and 0-100kph in 4.4 secs.

In petrol mode the i8 is RWD. In Electric mode it is FWD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3NPhRpiRmc

I believe some units are sold already.

Oh i was not aware i8 launched here. Only the i3 was released here in singapore to my knowledge and that is a very different car.

The i8 was launched overseas only i think

Oh i was not aware i8 launched here. Only the i3 was released here in singapore to my knowledge and that is a very different car.

The i8 was launched overseas only i think

It was in the news a few months back. Only a few units allocated here and all spoken for.

Saw the car at the BMW Show recently, very nice but very hard to get in. Haha. The sour grapes in me speaking ...

Thanks for the update. Any idea on the retail price here?

Yeah the car is low with an embedded cockpit so its tough to get in and even tougher to get out. But heck i can live with that. The real issue is that it will be out of my affordable price range.

They really should be working to bring more hybrid cars like this into the mass market segment at an affordable price range. Most of the hybrid cars i have seen todate look so boring, with the exception of the Tesla, which will not see a launch here.

It was in the news a few months back. Only a few units allocated here and all spoken for.

Saw the car at the BMW Show recently, very nice but very hard to get in. Haha. The sour grapes in me speaking ...

Thanks for the update. Any idea on the retail price here?

Yeah the car is low with an embedded cockpit so its tough to get in and even tougher to get out. But heck i can live with that. The real issue is that it will be out of my affordable price range.

They really should be working to bring more hybrid cars like this into the mass market segment at an affordable price range. Most of the hybrid cars i have seen todate look so boring, with the exception of the Tesla, which will not see a launch here.

The price in the seven digits range if my memory serves me well.

Tesla was launched in SG a few years ago, no sales if I recall and they packed up and go.

I think hybrid probably works best in SG, especially when the charging infrastructure for full electric cars is expensive and time consuming to build. Toyota and Honda probably the leader now for hybrid? I find some of the Lexus models looks ok, especially the sedans.

Seven digit price :( omg. Ah well i was expecting that. Another pipe dream hits the dust.

Tesla has a rather unusual marketing platform. In the US i am told they do not engage any agents or distributors and try to follow Dell and sell the whole car on-line. This will never happen in singapore.

Yah i saw the Toyota hybrids, n they dont look anything like the i8. Ah well i guess can close this tread. lol

The price in the seven digits range if my memory serves me well.

Tesla was launched in SG a few years ago, no sales if I recall and they packed up and go.

I think hybrid probably works best in SG, especially when the charging infrastructure for full electric cars is expensive and time consuming to build. Toyota and Honda probably the leader now for hybrid? I find some of the Lexus models looks ok, especially the sedans.

iirc around 600k odd

You are right. I stand corrected.

Seven digit price :( omg. Ah well i was expecting that. Another pipe dream hits the dust.

Tesla has a rather unusual marketing platform. In the US i am told they do not engage any agents or distributors and try to follow Dell and sell the whole car on-line. This will never happen in singapore.

Yah i saw the Toyota hybrids, n they dont look anything like the i8. Ah well i guess can close this tread. lol

Tesla upsets many dealers in the US. The funny story I read is that in some states, the dealer association is so strong that they forbid Tesla from setting up an outlet in their state. So in order to buy one, you would have to go to another state to test drive and buy. I believe you could also buy online.

Hi, Telsa is left hand drive. Even if we can ship it here i think there will be a ton of paperwork, import duties, taxes etc.

Then there is the question how to recharge the car and service it.

You are right. I stand corrected.

Tesla upsets many dealers in the US. The funny story I read is that in some states, the dealer association is so strong that they forbid Tesla from setting up an outlet in their state. So in order to buy one, you would have to go to another state to test drive and buy. I believe you could also buy online.

Hi, Telsa is left hand drive. Even if we can ship it here i think there will be a ton of paperwork, import duties, taxes etc.

Then there is the question how to recharge the car and service it.

Left hand cannot register

It should be easy peasy for tesla to make a RHD. It's fully electronic after all, so it doesn't have engine and belts and stuff in the way of the steering column. It's only a matter of time.

Good point. But how do we recharge n service the car, or repair it if we buy online.

I think Tesla is a full electric car? Wonder what coe cat or road tax bracket it will fall under here.

It should be easy peasy for tesla to make a RHD. It's fully electronic after all, so it doesn't have engine and belts and stuff in the way of the steering column. It's only a matter of time.

Good point. But how do we recharge n service the car, or repair it if we buy online.

I think Tesla is a full electric car? Wonder what coe cat or road tax bracket it will fall under here.

BMW I3 is classify as 2.5L according to LTA.

For recharging, u suppose to do it at home. If u r not staying at landed, too bad lor.

Purely electric cars have a different formulas for calculating road tax based on kW.

Similar to hybrid, LTA will take the calculation based on total kW (electric motor + engine) or engine capacity. Whichever higher is the tax payable.

To recharge... I guess you'll need to stay landed property.

Definitely there'll be a Tesla dealer here if you can "buy" a Tesla online. But I doubt people will pay for a $200-300K car online lah. Given there's so many terms and conditions for COE bidding, etc., likely the purchase can't be online in Singapore.

But FWIW I think the Singapore version of i3 comes with the range extender, means you can still pump petrol and a little tractor engine at the back will charge the battery for you. A bit lame, but ya... that's how it works.

Purely electric cars have a different formulas for calculating road tax based on kW.

Similar to hybrid, LTA will take the calculation based on total kW (electric motor + engine) or engine capacity. Whichever higher is the tax payable.

To recharge... I guess you'll need to stay landed property.

Definitely there'll be a Tesla dealer here if you can "buy" a Tesla online. But I doubt people will pay for a $200-300K car online lah. Given there's so many terms and conditions for COE bidding, etc., likely the purchase can't be online in Singapore.

But FWIW I think the Singapore version of i3 comes with the range extender, means you can still pump petrol and a little tractor engine at the back will charge the battery for you. A bit lame, but ya... that's how it works.

In SG, only i3REX works. Not all buyers has landed property. Not all condo management will allow installation of charging point.

Lastly i3 & i3REX is only EUR 5k diff.