Wooden shelves for Storeroom/Shelter Rack

Lala81

I bought some racks with shelves for my bomb shelter 1 year back. These shelves are made from MDF.

After a few months, i realised that they keep having some dust flake off on the underside of the shelves and the smell is terrible especially in an enclosed storeroom.

Basically all my items are partly covered by this dust and i really get irritated when i have to go inside to take something.

No more MDF boards for me. Is this a common problem with people using MDF boards for their storeroom racks?

Hence, I'm looking for suppliers of plywood shelves. You guys know any?

↡ Advertisement

I think yours is particle board, not MDF. MDF is very strong and more durable. Does not disintegrate much compare to particle board.. Use to use MDF board for my carpentry work.

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 1

I think yours is particle board, not MDF. MDF is very strong and more durable. Does not disintegrate much compare to particle board.. Use to use MDF board for my carpentry work.

sorry. i thought MDF is particle board. Think got confused when i was searching for info.

Yes you're right.

why not consider those metal rack?

The slotted angles rack is already in situ and is fine. Wasteful to discard since it's like only 1 year old.

Hence i just want to find the boards to replace.

sorry. i thought MDF is particle board. Think got confused when i was searching for info.

Yes you're right.

The slotted angles rack is already in situ and is fine. Wasteful to discard since it's like only 1 year old.

Hence i just want to find the boards to replace.

There are a few plywood suppliers in Eunos Industrial estate, but it was many years ago that I bought from them. Prices are not expensive, around $10 for 3 x 6 ft 1/4 inch thick planks.

You need to do your own cutting, and arrange your own lorry though.

U can go to Jalan Besar there. They can cut to your specifications. After that can go for laksa. :)

Teck Heng Long Teak Wood Merchant

Address: 11 Syed Alwi Rd, Singapore 207629
Phone:6298 7533
  • Praise 3

Yeah, I use those metallic ones and bought them at Serangoon road next to Nanyang Signcraft........

why not consider those metal rack?

I bought some racks with shelves for my bomb shelter 1 year back. These shelves are made from MDF.

After a few months, i realised that they keep having some dust flake off on the underside of the shelves and the smell is terrible especially in an enclosed storeroom.

Basically all my items are partly covered by this dust and i really get irritated when i have to go inside to take something.

No more MDF boards for me. Is this a common problem with people using MDF boards for their storeroom racks?

if you are in the north...............i think sungei kadut area will be nearer for you.............there are lots of wood work factories st 1 to st 6..........you just need to know the size and how thick you want the plywood to be...............i think they can cut for you on the spot............cash and carry..........

if not many pcs......you can try out hardware shops...................most hardware shops can do the ordering for you..............but of course will cost a bit more.........upside is nearer to your place.............no need drive all ard...........

Edited by Tianmo

thanks. will look around and see which are more convenient.

For storing not too heavy items, try heavy duty plastic racks from the plasticwares shop in lor8 TPY.. Toko(?) something. These are rust-less and not too heavy to shift around. I will be using them for semi outdoor storage

Replace existing boards with Laminated Ply Wood with Edging ...

Our Climate is Humid ... Laminating the Ply helps it to lengthen its life span ...

Mine more than 10 years still *Swee Swee* ...

Replace existing boards with Laminated Ply Wood with Edging ...

Our Climate is Humid ... Laminating the Ply helps it to lengthen its life span ...

Mine more than 10 years still *Swee Swee* ...

no need lamination also can last more than 10 years leh....................as long mia tio zhui (dont kena water)............I had those 6mm thickness ply wood for my storeroom racking............assemble using angle beams.............sibei tahan one...........

no need lamination also can last more than 10 years leh....................as long mia tio zhui (dont kena water)............I had those 6mm thickness ply wood for my storeroom racking............assemble using angle beams.............sibei tahan one...........

same same..... only now lazier and bought the metal racks which are easier to set up.

• Praise 1

Perhaps it is due to high humidity?

same same..... only now lazier and bought the metal racks which are easier to set up.

now i also buy those light metal racks from giant or NTUC................plus those toyo containers many many in the store room....... [laugh] [laugh]

Perhaps it is due to high humidity?

It's not mould. My house is not damp.

It's already in bomb shelter with no exposure to water. I don't think so. It's purely a defective product.

↡ Advertisement