An Ang Mo Tees off on Singapore Soccer

Darryn

So Neil Humphries is taking shots at Singapore soccer.

If you were "king for a day" and make whatever reforms you like - what would you be doing?

Here's my personal prescription

1. Institute a comprehensive "four zone" inter-school soccer contest at primary school level. This should be a weekly round robin of at least 12 rounds or more

2. Arrange it so that the final of this contest is played as the curtain raiser to a "big" game - possibly at the national stadium, but if not to the S-League similar

3. More fields that are easier to access for a "kickabout"

4. Sponsor a children's league - to get more clubs and more kids playing

5. Stop the recent nonsense of "age limits"

6. Have the SSC "sponsor" coaching clinics from S-League players to give more career options.

What else would you do?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

I will give away all my wealth to the poor........ since tomorrow I will go back to my own self, no point keeping these. [laugh]

• Praise 3

Not much of a soccer fan anymore, but I was in the stadium for both the '93 and '94 Malaysia Cup finals.

First order of business is get rid of the FAS president. I think he's too busy being an MP and NTUC director and director of dunno what else, no time to concentrate on football. Hardly a coincidence that he took over in 2009 and Singapore football (including the S-league) has been on a downward trend since then.

Edited by Myxilplix
  • Praise 3

Not much of a soccer fan anymore, but I was in the stadium for both the '93 and '94 Malaysia Cup finals.

First order of business is get rid of the FAS president. I think he's too busy being an MP and NTUC director and director of dunno what else, no time to concentrate on football. Hardly a coincidence that he took over in 2009 and Singapore football (including the S-league) has been on a downward trend since then.

Yes..... multi task. Treat this job wo respect.

Sack him now. Or if he have face or shame. Just resign

• Praise 1

Retrench all the players, close down FAS...... save the $$$ for our sailing team....we do better in water (and hopefully in bed) than on the grass.... [laugh]

• Praise 1

@Darryn, If I were "king for a day" and make whatever reforms I like, I will ban you. LOL

Is there no Football thread for football discussion?

• Praise 4

So Neil Humphries is taking shots at Singapore soccer.

If you were "king for a day" and make whatever reforms you like - what would you be doing?

Here's my personal prescription

1. Institute a comprehensive "four zone" inter-school soccer contest at primary school level. This should be a weekly round robin of at least 12 rounds or more

2. Arrange it so that the final of this contest is played as the curtain raiser to a "big" game - possibly at the national stadium, but if not to the S-League similar

3. More fields that are easier to access for a "kickabout"

4. Sponsor a children's league - to get more clubs and more kids playing

5. Stop the recent nonsense of "age limits"

6. Have the SSC "sponsor" coaching clinics from S-League players to give more career options.

What else would you do?

Age limit is there for a reason. U dont want to see secondary school vs primary school. The scoreline will be like basketball and every player on the team gets a hat-trick.

Age limit is there for a reason. U dont want to see secondary school vs primary school. The scoreline will be like basketball and every player on the team gets a hat-trick.

You don't follow the news? I meant the upper age limit for S league players...

You don't follow the news? I meant the upper age limit for S league players...

U did not specific.

I prefer having a cap of upper age limit for S league. I dont wana see old man playing. Older players who still can play, should play at the prime league. Let the younger players shine and not hogging the limelight.

The age limit was in reference to the S-league asking players who are 30 and above to retire but this policy was retracted after public backlash, age grouping for school kids is still appropriate as what you have mentioned

• Praise 2

As long as the 'old man' is still fit and putting in performances that are contributing to the team then why not?

As for younger players, if they're good enough they will break into the first-team squad. I wouldn't like to see younger but less skillful players walking into a team by default because of some age-restricting policy, let the boots do the talking on the pitch

U did not specific.

I prefer having a cap of upper age limit for S league. I dont wana see old man playing. Older players who still can play, should play at the prime league. Let the younger players shine and not hogging the limelight.

• Praise 2

Well done, Safuwan Baharudin!!!

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/mobile/sport/football-safuwan/1622750.html

SINGAPORE: Singapore international defender Safuwan Baharudin has signed for Melbourne City FC (MCFC) on a three-month loan, the Football Association of Singapore (FAS) announced in a press release on Thursday (Jan 29). Safuwan left for Australia on Wednesday night, and will be with MCFC for the remainder of the Hyundai A-League season.

Safuwan, 23, earned the contract after his performance at MCFC's training camp in Abu Dhabi which was held from Jan 10 to 19, said MCFC on its website. He attended the training camp as part of a development opportunity arranged with the FAS.

MCFC said Safuwan impressed as both a centre back and a fullback during the club's two friendly matches in the UAE, where he played against players such as former Juventus striker Mirko Vucinic.

Safuwan is a mobile defender who is calm and composed on the ball and makes quick and good decisions," said MCFC Head Coach John vant Schip. "He impressed the coaching staff while playing and training with us in Abu Dhabi and we believe he will fit in with our players and complement our style."

For a delighted Safuwan, this represented a "once-in-a-lifetime opportunity".

"I told myself that I had to go all out because this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that may never come again," said Safuwan. "I am looking forward to doing my best for the club and as an ambassador of Singapore. I want to make my parents and family proud of me."

Safuwan also thanked his family and wife for their support, and highlighted the FAS' efforts in helping him secure this opportunity.

Like any other Federation, FAS has to make decisions which may at times be unpopular, and would be criticised," said Safuwan. "However, I have been working closely with the FAS, and I can honestly say that it is always quietly working hard in the best interests of its players and of local football. Its decisions are always based on the long-term interest of Singapore football."

"FAS is always committed to helping our players grow," said FAS President Zainudin Nordin. "We hope that Safuwan will be a trailblazer for Singapore football in Australia, and that his move will inspire our young talented players to follow his footsteps."

I hope my time at Melbourne will open the door for more Singaporean players to play here and overseas," added Safuwan. "Still, the fact is that local players must work hard and remain disciplined if they aspire to reach the next level."

The LionsXII player joins other foreign players plying their trade for Melbourne City, including former Blackburn Rovers and Chelsea winger Damien Duff. Safuwan is the first Singaporean to play in the A-League, said the FAS.

Edited by Toothiewabbit
  • Praise 9

Safuwan is one of the outstanding player in our national team. Good that he ply his trade overseas.....the experience and knowledge gained will only make him a better. Centre back..........my favourite position during my footballing days.....always rotate between sweeper and stopper role.......

• Praise 1

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/mobile/singapore/football-safuwan-wins/1686004.html

Safuwan scores first Singaporean goal in A League and won MOTM!

Not bad.

Did a little reading up about Melbourne City FC. This club was last place during last season's league. Now it's in 6th position (among 10). The club was bought over by Abu Dhabi group that runs the same Man City.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2