Bto vs private condo

Teatreeoil

Dear bros,

I have a question here that needs some inputs..

Currently I have a 3 room bto that is waiting to be completed. Around 2017. Thinking of getting private condo which is of bigger size which is also completing around same time.

Which one will be a better choice in the future? Any opinions or comments?

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

No need to think so much as ur BTO flat will only be ready around 2017, plus the 5yrs mop the earliest u can buy private will be 2022.

Hmmm.. But now private condo offering discounts and 2015 we may see more of these.. Wondering if condo can be affordable in 2022?

We looking at 3 bedder condos which has one more room than the 3 room bto.. Bto location near mrt but condo location is near future mrt...

Edited by Teatreeoil

Dear bros,

I have a question here that needs some inputs..

Currently I have a 3 room bto that is waiting to be completed. Around 2017. Thinking of getting private condo which is of bigger size which is also completing around same time.

Which one will be a better choice in the future? Any opinions or comments?

hmm.. price diff btw bto and pte shld be quite significant. .. If you qualify for 3 rms bto , I assume you are probably cash rich , else annual income may not have qualify for a bto.

The condo you look at may not give you the space that u desire.. so if I were you.. bto is better.. also do take a quick check on your loan amt if you going for condo..dun want give up and then got surprises...

In any case , hdb price fluctuations will be limited in the years to come because the sg ownership rules.. pte may have unexpected ups and down if there is chg of levy or immigration rules. If it's a roof over the head.. hdb may be safer..

Edited by ShepherdPie
  • Praise 6

hmm.. price diff btw bto and pte shld be quite significant. .. If you qualify for 3 rms bto , I assume you are probably cash rich , else annual income may not have qualify for a bto.

The condo you look at may not give you the space that u desire.. so if I were you.. bto is better.. also do take a quick check on your loan amt if you going for condo..dun want give up and then got surprises...

In any case , hdb price fluctuations will be limited in the years to come because the sg ownership rules.. pte may have unexpected ups and down if there is chg of levy or immigration rules. If it's a roof over the head.. hdb may be safer..

Thanks for the inputs.. Thinking hard cos hdb lifestyle and condo lifestyle very different. The condo is also for home stay not so much for speculation. Pretty worried 2022 condo prices may be way out for average people since new launches always prices higher

Thanks for the inputs.. Thinking hard cos hdb lifestyle and condo lifestyle very different. The condo is also for home stay not so much for speculation. Pretty worried 2022 condo prices may be way out for average people since new launches always prices higher

not really true... interlace is selling cheaper now then first launch.. its all about demand.. years back. .not enuff housing. ..buyer buys and could get instant good rental yield.. thus , completed project better price than new launch..

In the coming yr, shld be the other way round.. until chg in policy... wait a while before jumping in... :) there shld still be 5-10% drop if the current trend continues..:)

not really true... interlace is selling cheaper now then first launch.. its all about demand.. years back. .not enuff housing. ..buyer buys and could get instant good rental yield.. thus , completed project better price than new launch..

In the coming yr, shld be the other way round.. until chg in policy... wait a while before jumping in... :) there shld still be 5-10% drop if the current trend continues..:)

I do agree with u to wait a while in 2015 before getting an unit. If the condo relaunch with lower prices, the question is, is it a better choice to let go the bto and get the launch condo? Is it worth it as compared to giving up the bto?

In your opinion, there may be a chance the completed project may priced lower than the new launch price? Maybe cannot get the unit u want?

• Praise 1

HDB for the keep and own living (if you qualify in the first place). Private for speculation. Simple rule.

If you need to sell HDB flat to buy private ppty, better don't buy pte ppty to begin with.

If you have excess money to park, buy pte ppty for "investment", but keep the HDB flat.

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 2

I do agree with u to wait a while in 2015 before getting an unit. If the condo relaunch with lower prices, the question is, is it a better choice to let go the bto and get the launch condo? Is it worth it as compared to giving up the bto?

In your opinion, there may be a chance the completed project may priced lower than the new launch price? Maybe cannot get the unit u want?

in the same project, maybe I agree , u can't get the choice units even when it's a lot lower. But recently , u notice that nearby project are launching at a lower price than prev launch.. so I am not so concern abt choice units .its more abt the right price ;)

if you really want a condo lifestyle.. buy a older resale... now the new condo... open space lesser , rooms also super small.. :(

personal choice , I opted for a old resale. FH for price preservation and good location for livability. :)

Edited by ShepherdPie
  • Praise 3

HDB for the keep and own living (if you qualify in the first place). Private for speculation. Simple rule.

If you need to sell HDB flat to buy private ppty, better don't buy pte ppty to begin with.

If you have excess money to park, buy pte ppty for "investment", but keep the HDB flat.

Sad to say with the cpf min sum rule, the possibility of getting private after the Hdb chances are pretty low. We even thought of renting out the Hdb and staying in the private. The absd is a lot of money

most Chinese folks would not want to consider that project. I think that's the problem.

Edited by Icedbs
  • Praise 2

I have lived in HDB and condo.

I will live in a condo anytime.

IMO, if one can afford a condo, go for that and don't look back. You cannot buy back the time loss in better quality living.

• Praise 6

Dunch understand ts. Means you want to give up your bto before its finish building and go buy a condo instead? Can qualify for bto just take la. many buy condo is because cannot qualify lo.

• Praise 4

can mei? i thought you are supposed to sell hdb when buying private!

New rule?

As long as you meet the min occupation period, can keep HDB when upgrading to pte.

Many of my collicks do that; die die keep HDB as "insurance" purpose. Just rent out HDB to get passive income.

One of them got a rude shock in his life when he saw his pte property tax. [laugh] KNN, live in big pte house, still need to see MP to appeal. [laugh]

If you have loads of $$$ to burn, pte can lah. If tan jiak kia, very tough...

can mei? i thought you are supposed to sell hdb when buying private!

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 1

most Chinese folks would not want to consider that project. I think that's the problem.

looks too funky leh.

machiam on a staying in a jenga block. anytime will topple. lol

• Praise 1

New rule?

As long as you meet the min occupation period, can keep HDB when upgrading to pte.

Many of my collicks do that; die die keep HDB as "insurance" purpose. Just rent out HDB to get passive income.

One of them got a rude shock in his life when he saw his pte property tax. [laugh] KNN, live in big pte house, still need to see MP to appeal. [laugh]

If you have loads of $$$ to burn, pte can lah. If tan jiak kia, very tough...

by right cannot.

if own 2 property i.e HDB and condo.

have to die die stay in the HDB and rent out condo.

cannot stay condo and rent out hdb.

i thought 3 room bto has an income cap?

how come a supposedly "low income" couple who qualify for 3 room hdb can afford a private condo?

tio toto, ASK or got some loophole to close?

[confused]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3