Emirates Flight A380 Experience to London and back

Boringchap

Emirates Airlines is the largest operator of the A380 aircraft in the world. The airline flies 5 times a day from Singapore to Dubai (one flight has a stopover in Colombo, Sri Lanka).

The airlines has been growing very rapidly over the years and many people have flown with Emirates before. However, for some reason, my family has never flown with Emirates, until this year, when we travelled to Europe for our year end holidays. We flew with Emirates simply because it was the cheapest fare we could find, for our requirements.

The experience was very good. In some ways, their Economy class is even better than SQ.

Dubai Airport is also a incredibly huge place and extremely busy. It has become such an important aviation hub, pretty much built from sand! With this type of competition, I do wonder how Singapore Changi can survive as an aviation hub, but we need to keep trying.

I have made several flight review videos of my recent trip. Here are the first three.

Emirates A380 Singapore to Dubai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nXZM64tHXc

Dubai International Shake Shack Burger and Airport Bus Transfer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovVNQ-FoYdQ

Emirates A380 Dubai to London

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DUkv4aihuU

Happy viewing.

Edited by Boringchap
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Changi can still survive if our neighbours don't snatch our flights.

So far airports in our region like in KL, Jakarta, BKK, Manila and ho chi minh cant fight with our changi.

Even from point of position our position is good, connecting asia, to australia and Europe

And indeed emirates economy is good, better than SQ

• Praise 2

I've flown Emirates to London, NYC & Canada. Gotta say their ICE is [thumbsup][thumbsup] . Sadly, SQ's silverkris looks abit 2nd rate compared to it. [:(]

But in terms of in-flight service quality, our singapore gers still da best. [nod]

Emirates is like Man City. Rich owner, pump in millions (prob billions) to buy the right talent. The big question, is it sustainable?

If the tap keep flowing, why not? Look at Man City now, up there with the big boys already.

Just took Emirates again to Melbourne and back. For econ class, Emirates is well ahead of SQ with new ICE and good food. No chance to try its biz class yet...

SQ tries to save costs, uses older planes and yet charges a lot more. Only on company account would I take.

I've flown Emirates to London, NYC & Canada. Gotta say their ICE is [thumbsup][thumbsup] . Sadly, SQ's silverkris looks abit 2nd rate compared to it. [:(]

But in terms of in-flight service quality, our singapore gers still da best. [nod]

I agree the service is not as good as SIA. There was once, the crew swopped my seat before I went in. I found that my seat was taken then one of the crew asked me if ok. Hello if not ok how ? Apparently is a big shift..involved 3-4 people...kns....

Bloody Hell, they also will never ask the front people to put the seat straight when taking meal.....

Seriously I also don't find their ticket cheap.

Edited by Beaver

It is good that we keep our eyes open and we keep aware of the competition.

Although Emirates keeps denying, I think not many people doubt that they are funded by the UAE Government in some way or the other. However, what they are very smart to have done is to hire very capable industry veterans (foreigners) to run Emirates.

The statistics are quite astounding.

Emirates flies to more than 142 cities in 78 countries. Singapore Airlines flies to 62 destinations in 35 countries.

Emirates fleet size is 221 versus SQ's 107.

Emirates has firm orders for 140 A380s and currently operates 55. SQ has firm orders for 24 A380s and currently operates 19.

Their scale is mind boggling.

Changi can still survive if our neighbours don't snatch our flights.

So far airports in our region like in KL, Jakarta, BKK, Manila and ho chi minh cant fight with our changi.

Even from point of position our position is good, connecting asia, to australia and Europe

And indeed emirates economy is good, better than SQ

Dubai is much better located, strategically speaking, compared to Singapore, when it comes to connecting different parts of the world.

Just take a look at the map and draw an eight hour flight radius around Singapore and Dubai respectively. Dubai can reach out to so many more cities compared to Singapore. Unfortunately for Singapore, most of it is sea water to the East and North East.

Because of Dubai, we have already lost a substantial amount of 'Kangeroo' route traffic. Last time Qantas used Singapore as the Asian hub. Now Qantas has tied up with Emirates in a strategic alliance. Instead of flying Australia - Singapore - Europe, they can fly Australia - Dubai - Europe.

Now for the trip back home. This was the Emirates flight from Rome to Dubai. We stayed at the Airport Hotel for some hours before our onward flight.

After a short sleep, we board our flight for Singapore via Colombo. We chose this flight combination because of financial considerations, i.e. it was much cheaper.

Emirates is like Man City. Rich owner, pump in millions (prob billions) to buy the right talent. The big question, is it sustainable?

I don't think their oil will run out in the next 50 to 100 years. If they use at least some of this oil money wisely, they will have invested greatly for their future generations.

Thks for the videos which were really informative!!

I'm quite impressed esp with the videos of the taxiway n landing. Also seems like u got a personal bottle of red wine for yourself! Can't ask for more can you lol!

Emirates Airlines is the largest operator of the A380 aircraft in the world. The airline flies 5 times a day from Singapore to Dubai (one flight has a stopover in Colombo, Sri Lanka).

The airlines has been growing very rapidly over the years and many people have flown with Emirates before. However, for some reason, my family has never flown with Emirates, until this year, when we travelled to Europe for our year end holidays. We flew with Emirates simply because it was the cheapest fare we could find, for our requirements.

The experience was very good. In some ways, their Economy class is even better than SQ.

Dubai Airport is also a incredibly huge place and extremely busy. It has become such an important aviation hub, pretty much built from sand! With this type of competition, I do wonder how Singapore Changi can survive as an aviation hub, but we need to keep trying.

I have made several flight review videos of my recent trip. Here are the first three.

Happy viewing.

Edited by Spring
  • Praise 5

Thks for the videos which was really informative!!

I'm quite impressed esp with the videos of the taxiway n landing. Also seems like u got a personal bottle of red wine for yourself! Can't ask for more can you lol!

I have flown with SQ many times and I am a very proud Singaporean. But the Emirates Economy IFE system is better, for sure.

Also, SQ does not hand out bottles of wine. They will pour from a big bottle into a plastic cup. I suspect this way, SQ save some costs.

Many other airlines give out small bottles of wine, not just Emirates. I remember getting similar bottles while flying Swiss Economy.

See this video -

At 1:10 mark you can see the main meal.

Edited by Boringchap

Funnily, Man City is owned by Etihad Airways which is the direct rival of Emirates.

Ethihad is based in Abu Dhabi whilst Emirates based in Dubai.

As for sustainability, well so far Man City has been sustainable and I guess if anybody can sustain this, it would be the Arabs!!

• Praise 7

Funnily, Man City is owned by Etihad Airways which is the direct rival of Emirates.

Ethihad is based in Abu Dhabi whilst Emirates based in Dubai.

As for sustainability, well so far Man City has been sustainable and I guess if anybody can sustain this, it would be the Arabs!!

I have read that Etihad Airlines is also up and coming. They seem to want to out-do Emirates. E.g. in their First class cabin, they come up with the idea of a one bedroom apartment in the sky!

Another very good Airline from that region is Qatar. I saw some flight videos of Qatar's Economy class product. Looks almost the same as Emirates. I am sure their Business and First class products are also almost the same or even better.

'

But neither Etihad nor Qatar have built up that network of routes, at least not yet.

I have read that Etihad Airlines is also up and coming. They seem to want to out-do Emirates. E.g. in their First class cabin, they come up with the idea of a one bedroom apartment in the sky!

Another very good Airline from that region is Qatar. I saw some flight videos of Qatar's Economy class product. Looks almost the same as Emirates. I am sure their Business and First class products are also almost the same or even better.

'

But neither Etihad nor Qatar have built up that network of routes, at least not yet.

Ya bro, these Arab airlines are really sparing nothing to outdo the established ones and as they are midway from Asia to Europe, make an excellent stopover point! Ethihad even less network than Qatar so much work for them to do to catch up but they'll do it eventually. It's good for us consumers that the airlines are trying to outdo each other as we'll benefit for sure😃

• Praise 13

Ya bro, these Arab airlines are really sparing nothing to outdo the established ones and as they are midway from Asia to Europe, make an excellent stopover point! Ethihad even less network than Qatar so much work for them to do to catch up but they'll do it eventually. It's good for us consumers that the airlines are trying to outdo each other as we'll benefit for sure😃

Indeed. Take for example Dubai International Airport Terminal 3 that was built exclusively for the use of Emirates. Completed in 2008 at the cost of US$4.5bn, that place is simply enormous. That one terminal alone has the capacity of 43 million pax a year.

Given that UAE is so rich, we can say easy to build. But would it be easy to fill it up? They have done it! Based on my transits at Dubai, that place is so packed at all hours of the day. And just look at the number of planes at the aero-bridges waiting to take-off.

Scary.

For the sake of easy comparison, I put up my flight videos of SQ Economy.

This one is on a Boeing 777.

This is on an A380

• Praise 2

'

I've flown Etihad. Very SOP service and a few notches below Emirates.

But lousiest (and rudest) service has still gotta be Qantas.....that's one 'roo that deserves to be put down.

• Praise 1

considering the high fuel costs and other costs now airlines can't make lots of money.

we shd keep Changi and SIA in good shape.

but we should seek other developments that are more profitable and apt for our circumstances. [smash]

• Praise 1

considering the high fuel costs and other costs now airlines can't make lots of money.

we shd keep Changi and SIA in good shape.

but we should seek other developments that are more profitable and apt for our circumstances. [smash]

Yes, you're right. Got to always look for new opportunities.

My first flight with Emirates A380 was 3 years ago from Jeddah to Dubai. I was please that they allow the in flight entertainment system to be switch on before taking off (during that time SIA still don't have such practice). During that time the 2 hours delay didn't bother me cos I was watching a movie while the lady passenger refused to be seated next to another gentlemen and all these while I am getting refreshments.

The worst Airliner I had ever encountered was Air Algeria. Shabby planes plus they really kick you during meal times.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2