Accident with "eye witness" who wasn't there

JasonTay

Hi,

I was recently involved in an accident and the other party was at fault however they changed their statement and even got an "eye witness" who wasn't there and happen to be a friend working in a TK motor workshop. Now my insurance company say that due to their statement I will most like get a 50-50 instead of a full claim against him. Is this legit ? I made a police report for this case as I felt that if they can get away with lying it will be unfair and many other drivers please be careful. Below is the tips that I got from the police during my police report

1) Always call 999 after accident, it is a must to report accident to police whether there is injury or not. The TP will be there to understand the situation and facilitate the exchange of particular. The other driver refuse to give me his particular until his friend came.

2) Take pictures of the whole accident in all angles.

3) Don't move the vehicle before TP comes if possible.

4) However it is still unfortunate if someone comes out and lie which is beyond control.

Edited by JasonTay
↡ Advertisement

Just an update of my follow up action, I reported to http://www.gia.org.sg/gifraud/ for this case together with all the statements, accident location and sms from the eye witness who wasn't there and also the police report. We'll see if the insurance company will follow up on this case. The amount is really very small in my opinion but that's their job.

Just also to highlight why a small accident become so bad

1) I am driving a Honda Civic 1.6 (insurance <$900)

2) He's driving a Type-R 2.0 M (insurance > $4,000)

when the accident happened, he insisted not to claim insurance and we repair ourselves. I was thinking..... If you are wrong you admit and pay my damages and I will let it go. Don't ask me not to claim insurance and repair myself when I am not wrong. I had accident before and when I was wrong I ask the other driver how much he want and I pay money on the spot. Why go through all these trouble. This is strange. Just because your insurance is a few times my insurance doesn't makes you immune to responsibility. The more you have to be careful and take responsibility when you are wrong to avoid claims that can drive your insurance up to $8k. Called me not to claim insurance and so on and ask his friend to called me but never once told me he want to be responsible for my damages until I was at IDAC reporting to GIA. I told him, I am submitting and I can't help you now. I feel bad but then but I had given him so much time to repent.

Worst case our insurance goes up I pay $1,500 he pay $8,000. I can imagine if he drives another 5 years its going to be $25,000 minimum extra. Just because he never think deeper and do not want to bear responsibility ends up paying so much more. I feel bad for myself too as my insurance goes up also but then it's not my fault and I will not bent.

• Praise 1

Last time i so good, ppl bang my backside i just ask for $500. I find taking leave and running around report insurance etc etc sibeh waste time. Other fella go atm take $500 pass me we both parted on neutral terms and i don't play punk. $500 zhun zhun cover my repairs.

Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Praise 1

How bad are both your damages?

Very minimum. I think mine spray paint a few hundreds only. His also the same just need to fix back his body kit and touch up the paint that came out also very minimum. The problem is he don't want to pay me and insist that it's my fault anyway his statement is totally changed and it proved that he is wrong and wanted to get away with 50% claim instead of 100%.

Just an update of my follow up action, I reported to http://www.gia.org.sg/gifraud/ for this case together with all the statements, accident location and sms from the eye witness who wasn't there and also the police report. We'll see if the insurance company will follow up on this case. The amount is really very small in my opinion but that's their job.

Just also to highlight why a small accident become so bad

1) I am driving a Honda Civic 1.6 (insurance <$900)

2) He's driving a Type-R 2.0 M (insurance > $4,000)

when the accident happened, he insisted not to claim insurance and we repair ourselves. I was thinking..... If you are wrong you admit and pay my damages and I will let it go. Don't ask me not to claim insurance and repair myself when I am not wrong. I had accident before and when I was wrong I ask the other driver how much he want and I pay money on the spot. Why go through all these trouble. This is strange. Just because your insurance is a few times my insurance doesn't makes you immune to responsibility. The more you have to be careful and take responsibility when you are wrong to avoid claims that can drive your insurance up to $8k. Called me not to claim insurance and so on and ask his friend to called me but never once told me he want to be responsible for my damages until I was at IDAC reporting to GIA. I told him, I am submitting and I can't help you now. I feel bad but then but I had given him so much time to repent.

Worst case our insurance goes up I pay $1,500 he pay $8,000. I can imagine if he drives another 5 years its going to be $25,000 minimum extra. Just because he never think deeper and do not want to bear responsibility ends up paying so much more. I feel bad for myself too as my insurance goes up also but then it's not my fault and I will not bent.

How you know his CTR cost $4k?

Turbocharged

Very minimum. I think mine spray paint a few hundreds only. His also the same just need to fix back his body kit and touch up the paint that came out also very minimum. The problem is he don't want to pay me and insist that it's my fault anyway his statement is totally changed and it proved that he is wrong and wanted to get away with 50% claim instead of 100%.

base on your diagram above, you are vehicle B right? looks like you hit the Type R leh.

base on your diagram above, you are vehicle B right? looks like you hit the Type R leh.

The accident happen right before the stop line at Kovan Hawker center and this is a one way. First there is no lorry I am travelling straight and I couldn't have cut his lane as it will be head on with on coming traffic and there is no eye witness at all, it's his friend from the workshop. It's not the truth. I drove passed him and he reversed and the collision happened.

post-153426-0-24250800-1419221700_thumb.jpg

post-153426-0-72018000-1419221714_thumb.jpg

Turbocharged

The accident happen right before the stop line at Kovan Hawker center and this is a one way. First there is no lorry I am travelling straight and I couldn't have cut his lane as it will be head on with on coming traffic and there is no eye witness at all, it's his friend from the workshop. It's not the truth. I drove passed him and he reversed and the collision happened.

so am I right to say that you are driving pass the Type R while he is trying to reverse into a parking lot?

Last time i so good, ppl bang my backside i just ask for $500. I find taking leave and running around report insurance etc etc sibeh waste time. Other fella go atm take $500 pass me we both parted on neutral terms and i don't play punk. $500 zhun zhun cover my repairs.

You are a gentleman but not all are like you.

so am I right to say that you are driving pass the Type R while he is trying to reverse into a parking lot?

He stopped before the stop line and I drove pass him and I heard the bang I came down and then I know he was reversing to park.

You can be less stressful and much relieve for the future once you install camera. Need no explanation, the video will do the talking. A quality night recording is a requirement.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

He stopped before the stop line and I drove pass him and I heard the bang I came down and then I know he was reversing to park.

OIC. so the Type R didn't check before start reversing lah.

without a video, it will be 50/50 case even without a witness.

OIC. so the Type R didn't check before start reversing lah.

without a video, it will be 50/50 case even without a witness.

gotta agree. i would think TP will just apportion and close the chapter if you were to ask them.

jasontay - i understand the principle of the matter .. trust me, i've been there and done that. but to teach the guy a lesson will be a waste of your money as well, since as you said, your premium will also go up. no point to pay more ... secondly, you are basically putting it down in the insurer's database permanently ><

for all you know, his father is some billionaire and paying everything. so to him, he will not even remember the incident by tomorrow.

Looks like single lane to me.. TS may be in the wrong because he overtake the type R... the reason why carparks lanes are bigger is to facilitate parking and rather than to allow 2 lane carriageway

personally i hate it when i reversing to park and the other car being impatient is unwilling to wait and drive straight squeezing through the gap between the front of my car and the parked car on the opposite side...

• Praise 2

TS, what I see CTR might had signaled his intention and since you think you can squeeze thru, you didn't bother to wait.

Then both touched each other.

Any experienced driver see some guy want to park will just stop behind before proceeding.

Then CTR want to teach you a lesson to be patient in future.

Without camera, ya, 50/50.

No point pointing fingers because the end winner is the insurer.

• Praise 3

1) Always call 999 after accident, it is a must to report accident to police whether there is injury or not. The TP will be there to understand the situation and facilitate the exchange of particular. The other driver refuse to give me his particular until his friend came.

Are we suppose to do that even if no injury or ambulance whatever is activated? Thought police will not entertain it even if we call them if there is no injury or damages to public properties etc.

Anyway all the best to your case. With all funny things going on with accident claims, it is better to have front and back working camera to record. Also when alighting to speak to the other party, best to have a voice recording to record all conversation. You never know when you need them.

↡ Advertisement