Sports Participation - Speech by NMP

Darryn

Read this article on the way to work today -

He's got some interesting comments -

There are not enough opportunities to learn sports. Again, citing our international schools as an example, there are ample opportunities for their students – for each sport on the comprehensive menu of sports that they offer, there are teams of various levels, including beginners. Another one of my patients from an international school wasn’t much of a basketballer when he enrolled in the school, so he simply joined the novice team. As he got better, he progressed to team C then B and eventually ended up in team A. Contrast that with our local schools where parents have told me that if you are not good enough for the school team, you are not offered a chance to participate in that sport at all.

What resonates most with me are the observations about school sports and medals - this very much reflects my own experience.

For my child's school, have got "trials" to join the CCA (not the school team, but simply the CCA)

My neighbour's son was rejected from two CCA that he wanted to join.

↡ Advertisement

What resonates most with me are the observations about school sports and medals - this very much reflects my own experience.

For my child's school, have got "trials" to join the CCA (not the school team, but simply the CCA)

If too many students join a particular CCA ... They may not have enough Coaches ...

• Praise 3

If too many students join a particular CCA ... They may not have enough Coaches ...

Why do the coaches have to be "good" or "professional"...

sports is more about participation than anything else.

You don't have to be a "proper coach" to teach the kids some rules and let them play...

• Praise 2

each school have limited resource to do all kind of sport and given the ratio of student : CCA, the school also must ensure not everyone rush to join one CCA but nobody on the other.

Other than CCA, the PE lesson get to play other sport but mostly for novice and might not get the chance to develop into serious interest.

I know some kids who have interest in other sport join the groups outside the school and i know student DSA into JC with the sport he join outside the school and not from medal they win for the school CCA.

• Praise 1

which 2 CCAs may i ask?

Must ask oneself, "How many years can the Sport CCA last"

A education cert is worth a life time ... -_-

When going for a job interview, the employer will ask "What kind of qualification you have?" not 'What kind of sport you are good in !!!! ' [grin]

• Praise 2

Ask the P8P to employ Fandi Ahmad, V Sundramoothi, Tan Howe Liang, ... etc. as MP's ....... [sly]

If it can be done, then what spoken are very true ... :ph34r:

To have Team A, B and C in one school, the school must have a lot of bandwidth. Not many school has that capacity to do it.

Must ask oneself, "How many years can the Sport CCA last"

A education cert is worth a life time ... -_-

When going for a job interview, the employer will ask "What kind of qualification you have?" not 'What kind of sport you are good in !!!! ' [grin]

if a candidate in addition to paper qualification, has a particular sport that he is good at and pursue it as part time activities like running marathon around the world, join rugby to compete in overseas, etc.

i believe the bosses would like to hire people like this not only base on his result.

You don't have to be a "proper coach" to teach the kids some rules and let them play...

In that case, why do you need a coach?

Want to play basketball? Book the court at the nearby CC. That's what we did.

• Praise 2

which 2 CCAs may i ask?

Badminton and Floorball...

Ok...badminton I can kinda forgive - hall got limited space..

But Floorball must reject?

Had to have "test" and wasn't allowed in

In that case, why do you need a coach?

Want to play basketball? Book the court at the nearby CC. That's what we did.

A 10 year old booking the court, arranging his kaki to come join him?????

Yeah, that works.

Most adults, with minimal research can teach kids the fundamentals of a sport - and explain the rules,

You don't need to be such a highly professional coach - the "professional coach" can come in once the kids show aptitude..

P.S - My kid does a sport outside of school - 6 years been participating oreddy

• Praise 2

Badminton and Floorball...

Ok...badminton I can kinda forgive - hall got limited space..

But Floorball must reject?

Had to have "test" and wasn't allowed in

depends how serious u want ure kid to be in that sport... if not serious just for fitness then nevermind whichever sport lor.

education more impt mah right

• Praise 1

How do you want us to discuss with you? with a SG mindset or a sheep brain?..LOL

• Praise 2

A 10 year old booking the court, arranging his kaki to come join him?????

Yeah, that works.

Most adults, with minimal research can teach kids the fundamentals of a sport - and explain the rules,

You don't need to be such a highly professional coach - the "professional coach" can come in once the kids show aptitude..

P.S - My kid does a sport outside of school - 6 years been participating oreddy

Yes it does work.

We were 10 or 11 years old then. Actually, I don't even know if we did book the court as I was not the one that arranged it but I know we did have to borrow the basketball from the CC on occasions (with our bus card/student pass). The reason we had to do this is because our school did not have a basketball court (I think most schools now should have one).

Anyway, if you are not going to be professional about the sport then any 10 year old kid can also read the basket rules and fundamentals off the internet and play. Why do you need the school to come in and provide structure or a non-professional coach?

So, in NZ you have all the half f**k coaches who are not good or professional?..LOL

• Praise 3

In any form of Sport ... Proper Techniques should always be applied to avoid Injury to one self or others...

But I see your point ... Children should be allowed to have fun ...

But when something bad happens, Parents will usually question the "Competence" of the "Coach" ...

[nod]

So, in NZ you have all the half f**k coaches who are not good or professional?..LOL

How many medals did New Zealand win at the last Olympics?

↡ Advertisement