Pumped $20 petrol but fuel did not enter tank?

Sunset73

Hi all, I have a Kia Carens (now driven by my brother) which I occasionally drive too. Once in a while, I had noticed that the petrol that I pumped does not go into the fuel tank. Why do I say that? I went to Esso to pump $20 worth of petrol.. but after I paid and started the engine, my fuel gauge did not move. When I pumped $20 more, the petrol reluctantly moved to 1/4. How can $40 petrol only up my fuel tank by 1/4? I am not driving a land rover! On some occasions, I don't have this issue. Btw, I pump at the petrol stations myself.

↡ Advertisement

Hi all, I have a Kia Carens (now driven by my brother) which I occasionally drive too. Once in a while, I had noticed that the petrol that I pumped does not go into the fuel tank. Why do I say that? I went to Esso to pump $20 worth of petrol.. but after I paid and started the engine, my fuel gauge did not move. When I pumped $20 more, the petrol reluctantly moved to 1/4. How can $40 petrol only up my fuel tank by 1/4? I am not driving a land rover! On some occasions, I don't have this issue. Btw, I pump at the petrol stations myself.

faulty fuel gauge lah <_<

Do not expect precision reading or linearity in the fuel gauge.

$20 is no more than 10litres. How u expect the needle to move?

• Praise 1

The fuel gauge and needle is not linear. How unlinear depends on car also. In my Sylphy, needle hits E-empty and stays that way when there is still around 15 litres of fuel left. So theoretically I could be almost empty and pump 14 litres without the needle moving. 14 litres of 95 fuel is more than $20.

(edited)

most prob u pumped when your tank is really low on petrol below the empty bar.......try pumping when it is at the 1/4......empty tank us bad tor ur pump.

I pumped when the light came up :(

The fuel gauge and needle is not linear. How unlinear depends on car also. In my Sylphy, needle hits E-empty and stays that way when there is still around 15 litres of fuel left. So theoretically I could be almost empty and pump 14 litres without the needle moving. 14 litres of 95 fuel is more than $20.

With the fuel indicator light up? I have never encountered such issues before that that's why I asking for opinions

$20 is no more than 10litres. How u expect the needle to move?

Have leh. whenever my carens fuel indicator light up, I will go pump immediately. $20 is slightly above 1/4.

I won't pump more than that because I am sharing the car with my brother. He damn calculative about everything so I do the same to him. Pump only the amount I used.

faulty fuel gauge lah <_<

Do not expect precision reading or linearity in the fuel gauge.

Doesn't happen everytime leh. haha

Edited by Sunset73

I pumped when the light came up :(

With the fuel indicator light up? I have never encountered such issues before that that's why I asking for opinions

Have leh. whenever my carens fuel indicator light up, I will go pump immediately. $20 is slightly above 1/4.

I won't pump more than that because I am sharing the car with my brother. He damn calculative about everything so I do the same to him. Pump only the amount I used.

Doesn't happen everytime leh. haha

pump before your it lit up lar.....never heard sibling so calculative wan.....might as well dont let him drive!

pump before your it lit up lar.....never heard sibling so calculative wan.....might as well dont let him drive!

It's a real world.. siblings even parents also calculative now. Just that you are lucky that it did not happen to you. Last time when I was paying instalments on the car, he every time borrow from me then return me with fuel indicator light up. I always at least ensure half tank when I lent him. Now he is paying the car, when I use, I make sure I return to the same level that I took the car (machiam like car rental like that).

Turbocharged

Go back to the station , bring an empty 20L paint can , pump $20 and see if it fills up half the can . Or you can use 6 empty 1.5L bottles of Coke containers.

It's a real world.. siblings even parents also calculative now. Just that you are lucky that it did not happen to you. Last time when I was paying instalments on the car, he every time borrow from me then return me with fuel indicator light up. I always at least ensure half tank when I lent him. Now he is paying the car, when I use, I make sure I return to the same level that I took the car (machiam like car rental like that).

lucky i am the youngest in my family......all my elder sibling like give me face like that....hahaha! Talk to your bro lar.....the lesser u talk to him the deeper the enmity grow. Last time when i was a teenager i always fought (physically) with my brothers especially my twin.......after ns we seldom see each other.....but after i got married we became a bit more closer......actually by talking and listening we can solve many problems.
  • Praise 2

If he is already paying for the car and let you use, shouldn't you pump the fuel for him ?

Yup, I always did. It is him who always "chao kuan" and give me almost empty tank whenever I lent him car.

sibeh funny i almost fell from my chair [laugh]

dont spill the coffee hor.....later kana electrocuted or comp short circuit dont blame me hor.....there are funnier mcfers around.....trust me!
  • Praise 1

lucky i am the youngest in my family......all my elder sibling like give me face like that....hahaha! Talk to your bro lar.....the lesser u talk to him the deeper the enmity grow. Last time when i was a teenager i always fought (physically) with my brothers especially my twin.......after ns we seldom see each other.....but after i got married we became a bit more closer......actually by talking and listening we can solve many problems.

Everything can talk. But if the topic is on the car, sure got argument.

Yup, I always did. It is him who always "chao kuan" and give me almost empty tank whenever I lent him car.

aiyah......suan lar...givd and take....blood thicker then petrol hor!

Everything can talk. But if the topic is on the car, sure got argument.

small thing lar....my eldest bro last time jio me to have gang clash.....now we laugh it off....
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1