520i tune to 528i performance

Siewss

The price difference between a 520i and 528i is $17k. The sales consult pointed out only 2 differences:

1) 17" vs 18" rims

2) 184hp vs 245hp (same engine, different state of tune)

Question is: can the 520i be simply tuned to offer 528i performance. If so, where can this be reliably done?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

alamak ... another such question ... no sian meh

520 tune to 528

528 tune to 535

535 tune to M5

BMW can stop selling M5 liao ...

there is no easy way to tune la ... if yes ... BMW can stop selling higher model

seriously just buy what you feel right and what you are willing to pay la

having said that ... 520 and 528 being turbo engine ... just lup any aftermarket piggyback ... you will feel the kick but dont expect a $17k effect hor

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 7

Are you sure it's only those differences? No HUD? No sports transmission? I know for sure my 328 had hud which the 320 did not as one of the options and that was worth 3 or 4k in itself.

17k in the general view is not huge plus why buy a new pml car only to void the warranty? Might as well get pi if that's the case

You will not be able to get the 520 to fully match the 528 power just by a simple stage 1 tune. you can tune it yes but there are several differences which play a part namely Pistons, exhaust, inter cooler. Compression ratio between the two indicate the 528 is more moddable.

The price difference between a 520i and 528i is $17k. The sales consult pointed out only 2 differences:

1) 17" vs 18" rims

2) 184hp vs 245hp (same engine, different state of tune)

Question is: can the 520i be simply tuned to offer 528i performance. If so, where can this be reliably done?

• Praise 2

PML 520i price probably can buy PI 528i liao ... if minus the bell and whistle like rear view camera, hud, etc

but ... finding a trustworthy PI is as hard as tio TOTO

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 2

Cannot be lah. Different state of tune (assuming reliably) can have 61bhp difference? That's a lot. I see one of the aftermarket tuning chip(that doesn't bypass the stock ecu settings) offers an additional 20%+ increase to hp and torque on the 528i.

Similarly for the 520i the same brand aftermarket chip offer additional 20% increase in hp and torque w/o bypassing the stock factory setup.

I'm guessing there's a bigger turbocharger involved that BMW is not telling you. They are screwing with your mind telling you that they are in different state of tune. Either that or the engine components are different and they could handle a larger boost pressure.

the angmoh in usa had stripped down 520i vs 528i engine parts-by-parts and check 1-by-1

the only difference is piston and compression ratio

these 2 parts alone made 520i untuneable to 528i by reloading 528i ECU map and new DME

Cylinder Head — PN 11127624778

Cranks — PN 11247624616
Crankshaft — PN 11212212762
Intake manifold — PN 11617588126
Intake niche — PN 13717597589
Air Filter — PN 13718507320
Intercooler — PN 17517618809
Radiator — PN 17117600520
Throttle valve — PN 13547588625
Pump — PN 13517584461
MAF — PN 13627602038
DME / ECU — PN 12148604210
Exhaust manifold / Turbo — PN 11657642469

Cannot be lah. Different state of tune (assuming reliably) can have 61bhp difference? That's a lot. I see one of the aftermarket tuning chip(that doesn't bypass the stock ecu settings) offers an additional 20%+ increase to hp and torque on the 528i.

Similarly for the 520i the same brand aftermarket chip offer additional 20% increase in hp and torque w/o bypassing the stock factory setup.

I'm guessing there's a bigger turbocharger involved that BMW is not telling you. They are screwing with your mind telling you that they are in different state of tune. Either that or the engine components are different and they could handle a larger boost pressure.

Edited by Wt_know

the angmoh in usa had stripped down 520i vs 528i engine parts-by-parts and check 1-by-1

the only difference is piston and compression ratio

these 2 parts alone made 520i untuneable to 528i by reloading 528i ECU map

Got link?

If the 528i is using higher compression ratio, how about the fuel injectors? Most likely larger capacity fuel injectors are used as well.

Edited by Watwheels

https://www.drive.net/b/714661/

if you google ...

there are plenty of blogs and articles on n20 320i/520i vs 520i/528i piston and compression ratio

btw,

If you see N20B20A= 10:1 compression ratio. Here it is the 528i.
If you see N20B20B= 11:1 compression ratio. Here it is the 520i.

Got link?

Edited by Wt_know

It's not just a software tune. The piston head, compression ratio and intercooler are likely different. To get more boost the compression ratio of 528i should be lower. (Edit: post by wt_know confirms this)

BTW I think there's still more in the 528i that 520i. What about 4 zone airconditioning and hi-fi audio? I think those make a big difference in the car. Another thing I'd say is a must have is the adjustable sports seats. The cheap stock seats are just... too cheap for a 5er "limousine".

Edited by Detach8
  • Praise 1

very obvious you pay what you get ...

PML and BMW knew what they are giving out for $17K more ...

It's not just a software tune. The piston head, compression ratio and intercooler are likely different. To get more boost the compression ratio of 528i should be lower. (Edit: post by wt_know confirms this)

BTW I think there's still more in the 528i that 520i. What about 4 zone airconditioning and hi-fi audio? I think those make a big difference in the car. Another thing I'd say is a must have is the adjustable sports seats. The cheap stock seats are just... too cheap for a 5er "limousine".

I dun think the 528i is on higher boost if the difference is in the piston head and compression ratio. That would affect long term reliability.

The piston head could have deeper or bigger cavities for it to pack more fuel or increasing the volume of the air/fuel ratio. Compression ratio could be increased slightly due to the increased volume in air & fuel. More air & fuel gives more bang in the combustion chamber.

very obvious you pay what you get ...

PML and BMW knew what they are giving out for $17K more ...

MTL just buy a 535i.

535i + M-sport + Touring = :wub:

I dun think the 528i is on higher boost if the difference is in the piston head and compression ratio. That would affect long term reliability.

The piston head could have deeper or bigger cavities for it to pack more fuel or increasing the volume of the air/fuel ratio. Compression ratio could be increased slightly due to the increased volume in air & fuel. More air & fuel gives more bang in the combustion chamber.

What are you saying lah... compression ratio is compression ratio. It means a 500cc cylinder (2000cc divide by 4) will compress everything 10x or 11x. For NA car the amount of air and fuel is THE SAME to fill up 500cc (assuming stiochiometric a/f ratio) irregardless of compression ratio.

The equation changes when under forced induction. If the compression ratio is too HIGH then it cannot take too much boost. That's because then the 500cc would already have compressed air and fuel inside. Let's say the turbo already gives 2x compression for simplicity. When the cylinder reaches TDC it would be 2 (dynamic compression from turbo) x 10 (static compression from cylinder) = 20:1 compression. Higher boost = higher compression.

IN reality, the boost pressure is not that high (2x). It's more like 1.x.

Atmospheric pressure is approx 14.7psi. Let's say the 520i engine does 8psi boost.

(8+14.7)/14.7 = 1.544

If the static compression ratio is 11, then the resultant compression ratio is 11 x 1.544 = 16.99 which is quite high already... too high, actually. Might need to find the correct numbers.

Edited by Detach8
  • Praise 5

PML 520i price probably can buy PI 528i liao ... if minus the bell and whistle like rear view camera, hud, etc

but ... finding a trustworthy PI is as hard as tio TOTO

Yup, you are right. PML 520i = PI 528i.

↡ Advertisement