Tourist Dress Code in Malaysia

Picnic06-Biante15

Wah lau ayeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ...... wear sarong when visiting MY ... :o

Yahoo news: Restrictive dress codes will impact tourism industry, association warns

KUALA LUMPUR, March 2 — The country’s tourism industry will suffer if tourists are forced to comply with Islamic guidelines on how to dress during their visit here, the Malaysian Chinese Tourism Association warned today.

Association secretary-general Tai Poh Kim said imposing such rules is unnecessary in the first place as “we don’t have much problems with tourists thus far”.

“Of course it will affect tourism,” Tai told Malay Mail Online when asked about the implications of such guidelines.

“Tourists must respect local culture, but to have tourists dress 100 per cent in line with Muslim rules is overdoing it. No one wants to go to a place that’s full of restrictions.”

Tai was responding to the dress code for tourists that recently appeared on Teganukita, the website of the Terengganu state government. The guidelines have since been removed.

According to The Star today, the new dress code was to be distributed soon to all travel agents both in Malaysia and in neighbouring countries.

Terengganu Mentri Besar Datuk Ahmad Razif Abd Rahman, however, denied today that the state issued the Islamic dress code for tourists, claiming he was surprised to hear that the story went viral.

He added that such rules to police tourists’ attire were unnecessary as there were already sufficient laws to ensure public modesty.

Tai warned that if such rules come into place, it could spread far beyond Terengganu.

“(The rules) will affect the whole of Malaysia, not just Terengganu,” he said. “If one of the states starts doing it, others might follow.”

Tai said Malaysia’s tourism has already been suffering since last year, especially after the MH370 disaster.

He over the past year, many hotels in the country have experienced a dip in bookings, adding that Malaysian tourism could ill-afford further damage.

“Investors in Malaysia’s tourism industry, including international chains of hotels, might pull out,” he said.

Asked to comment on the issue, Terengganu-based travel agencies Ping Anchorage and DYG Travel said they have yet to receive any directive from the Terengganu government, but said they were confident such rules would only apply to Muslims.

“It would disturb tourism if it affected non-Muslims,” said Zulkefli bin Salleh, who is the manager for DYG Travel, “but I don’t think it does.”

“The Terengganu state government should make a clear statement that it (the guidelines) doesn’t affect non-Muslims,” he told Malay Mail Online over the phone.

In The Star’s report, a source told the newspaper that both men and women need not dress entirely according to Islamic requirements, but their attire must be “decent.”

Failure to comply will result in offenders being sent to “counselling”. It is unclear if said counselling will be religious in nature.

The east coast state of Terengganu is almost entirely Malay-Muslim, with only a handful of other ethnic minorities residing there.

more stories, link: https://sg.news.yahoo.com/restrictive-dress-codes-impact-tourism-industry-association-warns-085700276.html

Didn't know 'Roti Prata' or "Roti Chenai" is Bolehland MB (Mentri Besar) fravourite food, flip & flip & flip ... [grin]

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

One thing I do notice is that a lot of M'sia tourists come from middle east. When they come here, usually married couple or in a family the women "dress down" as in not all clothe from head to toe. They can show their faces...with make up, wear some jewelry, no need to wear gloves and can wear exposed shoes and show painted toe nails. More relaxed dan where they are from.

Since the dress code only affect Muslim tourists I think it's not so much of an issue to non-Muslims.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

Not like it's going to impact us much. Not this harebrained scheme of theirs.... Unlike the other harebrained schemes.

If they want to kill off their tourism industry, so be it.

• Praise 1

all this like yearly project plan kind ya........................ nothing else to tink of improving the country meh? :wacko::blink:

• Praise 6

Supercharged

Not like it's going to impact us much. Not this harebrained scheme of theirs.... Unlike the other harebrained schemes.

If they want to kill off their tourism industry, so be it.

we will get more tourists dollar if they want to kill off their own tourism industry. [laugh]

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Must wear name tag or not. I see all their leaders appearing on TV wearing name tags one. Scare people don't know their names?

Might a well also put all the title and the medal they receive.... Datuk, Seri, Doctor, Director, President, 20 years Long Service Medal, 10 years Long Service, Sodomee Medal, Maggi Mee Medal, IPPT Medal, Marksman Medal, Airborne Medal, First Aid Medal, Field Trip Medal..... [laugh][rolleyes]

So what were the dress codes?

包肉粽

all this like yearly project plan kind ya........................ nothing else to tink of improving the country meh? :wacko::blink:

Like USMS for SAF lor...

Nothing to improve also must show that you're doing something..

we will get more tourists dollar if they want to kill off their own tourism industry. [laugh]

Exactly!

Though, we are quite crowded already..

• Praise 1

they want to please the middle east tourists and provide a safe/conservative dress code cos those tourists are really big spenders [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

you dun get many of those in singapore.

I fully support our northern neighbours making their female

tourist dress up from head to toes like Ninjas.

Now everyone here knows I am not a prude.

As a lesbian trapped in a man's body no one

can be more open about these things than me.

But I saw those pictures of those nude games

in Penang organised by some foreign talent

of people jumping up and down and rolling in the sand

and I was absolutely disguested. I almost threw up.

Please lah if people want to have nude games make

sure its syt with nice figures and get those that look

like K pop gal band idols or the ladies from the Viet

alrines.

Those middle age out of shape people should have

been dessed from head to toe like the Ninjas

in the name of common decency and not to offend

other people with good taste.

:D

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6