Pioneer HU and GPS

Plusplus

This is my 1st time buying a PI car and choosing a pioneer HU to install. What I need is a HU with GPS function and can work with iphone(preferably with andriod too). Hope the experts can help.

From what I have read from pioneer website and this forum, it seems that only 8650 has GPS module. What does this mean? Just upgrade firmware? Free?

Other forumers have also suggestion to use the phone navigation function. Does all the model support this?

Somehow I find that 8650 is an overkill as I'm not really into audio systems. Just listen to radio and MP3.

Sorry for this noob question. I'm still lost and couldn't find explanation to my queries. Thanks a lot in advance.

↡ Advertisement

I was looking for a HU with GPS too. In the end, I installed a RoadKing Navi add-on module to my existing pioneer 4250DVD.

Roadking uses Papago software, and has 3 maps:

1) MFM - 2-in-1 Singapore n Msia map, free monthly update via malfreemaps website

2) SLA map (Singapore only)

3) Thailand map

installed at Wee Heng

Not too bad. Very happy with the convenience of a HU with GPS.

Other options will cost $$$$.

I wasn't able to find much info on roadnavi on the internet. It's a small SG company, making the hardware, packaged with licensed papago software.

I had exchanged some communication with papago agent (M3asia) in SG (before they closed sg office) and in KL too.

KL office recently sent me updates for the SLA and THA maps after I requested for them,

• Praise 1

JohnSHL, how much did u pay for it?? Tks.

I was looking for a HU with GPS too. In the end, I installed a RoadKing Navi add-on module to my existing pioneer 4250DVD.

Roadking uses Papago software, and has 3 maps:

1) MFM - 2-in-1 Singapore n Msia map, free monthly update via malfreemaps website

2) SLA map (Singapore only)

3) Thailand map

installed at Wee Heng

Not too bad. Very happy with the convenience of a HU with GPS.

Other options will cost $$$$.

I wasn't able to find much info on roadnavi on the internet. It's a small SG company, making the hardware, packaged with licensed papago software.

I had exchanged some communication with papago agent (M3asia) in SG (before they closed sg office) and in KL too.

KL office recently sent me updates for the SLA and THA maps after I requested for them,

JohnSHL, how much did u pay for it?? Tks.

it was for an old model HU so I got a special discount. Paid around $300 iirc.

newer model HU need a different plug/connector, so the price may vary.

(edited)

it was for an old model HU so I got a special discount. Paid around $300 iirc.

newer model HU need a different plug/connector, so the price may vary.

Looks like getting a separate GPS is way cheaper. Edited by Plusplus

This is my 1st time buying a PI car and choosing a pioneer HU to install. What I need is a HU with GPS function and can work with iphone(preferably with andriod too). Hope the experts can help.

From what I have read from pioneer website and this forum, it seems that only 8650 has GPS module. What does this mean? Just upgrade firmware? Free?

Other forumers have also suggestion to use the phone navigation function. Does all the model support this?

Somehow I find that 8650 is an overkill as I'm not really into audio systems. Just listen to radio and MP3.

Sorry for this noob question. I'm still lost and couldn't find explanation to my queries. Thanks a lot in advance.

Where did you see 8650 got GPS? If you are referring to AVH-8650BT, as far as I know, it doesn't have built in GPS. It support GPS through extra module, though.

Most HU works with both Android and iPhone. It depends on the meaning of "works". For instance, you should be able to play music over the Bluetooth connection to most Bluetooth supported HU.

Having said that, 8650 has the advantage over other models in the sense that it supports Apple CarPlay. Pioneer will tell you officially Apple Carplay is not supported here, but you can download the firmware from pioneer.com.au and it works. See discussion here:

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2694294-avh-x8650bt/

For your information AVH-8750bt is already available. There was a thread here discussion about AVH-8750bt also but, strangely, seems to have been removed.

If you do not need high end systems and not a techie people that fancy Carplay or Android Auto, you should save money and use it for GPS.

• Praise 1

Where did you see 8650 got GPS? If you are referring to AVH-8650BT, as far as I know, it doesn't have built in GPS. It support GPS through extra module, though.

Most HU works with both Android and iPhone. It depends on the meaning of "works". For instance, you should be able to play music over the Bluetooth connection to most Bluetooth supported HU.

Having said that, 8650 has the advantage over other models in the sense that it supports Apple CarPlay. Pioneer will tell you officially Apple Carplay is not supported here, but you can download the firmware from pioneer.com.au and it works. See discussion here:

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2694294-avh-x8650bt/

For your information AVH-8750bt is already available. There was a thread here discussion about AVH-8750bt also but, strangely, seems to have been removed.

If you do not need high end systems and not a techie people that fancy Carplay or Android Auto, you should save money and use it for GPS.

I do mean GPS module for 8650. But the module is too costly. Not exactly sure how to "add" the module and how to update the map.

The problem I have now is there are a few cables running over the dashboard area. 1 to charge the GPS. 1 for video camera. Once in a while will have phone cable to charge phone when low batt. Hoping to do away with some of them.

Mine is 1650 and got gps function. It is an added module. Easier to use than Garmin imho.

Anyone has any idea if Pioneer AVH-X5750BT has GPS Navigator or can it support?

Yes. Mine is 5750bt and my AD installed gps and reverse camera with it. Gps software is papago using SLA map. Think need to install separate gps module.

Yes. Mine is 5750bt and my AD installed gps and reverse camera with it. Gps software is papago using SLA map. Think need to install separate gps module.

Thanks!

Mine is 1650 and got gps function. It is an added module. Easier to use than Garmin imho.

Did u pay for the GPS module or was it given free? How much is that?

Did u pay for the GPS module or was it given free? How much is that?

It was given free bro hence I am not too sure how much but i reckon around $100 to $150?

Hi Guys,

I've a Pioneer Head Unit for sales. It is in excellent and perfect working order. AVH-X8550BT. I am selling this unit because i have just sold my car and have no use for it.