Science and Engineering

Hydrocarbon

Instead of all the moaning and b*tching about people and the stupid things they do, I decided to start a thread on science and engineering, so that we can all learn more about the world around us. Do feel free to share videos that shed light on the workings of our world, so that we can all benefit from the knowledge.

First up, something that quite a lot of us use daily.

GPS! (Actually, more on the atomic clock than GPS)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2BxAu6WZI8

Secondly, for all of you who love to drink soda / canned drinks, ever wondered why the can was designed in such a manner and how it was made? Wonder no more!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUhisi2FBuw

Check out more of this guy's channel! I just started watching him last night, and now I can't stop! Hahahha..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8

The "So you think you are really BIG" thread should be merged into this, or vice versa. :D

And I'm sure there are other threads on these topics. But good effort on starting a topic that people can discuss and hopefully learn from without too much rancour. [thumbsup]

• Praise 2

The "So you think you are really BIG" thread should be merged into this, or vice versa. :D

And I'm sure there are other threads on these topics. But good effort on starting a topic that people can discuss and hopefully learn from without too much rancour. [thumbsup]

Thanks for the headsup. I haven't seen that thread, am just going through it after the Super / Turbo video.

My thoughts were just to share about the workings of our world. I only searched for the word "science" / etc, didn't find the thread you mentioned before I started this, haha.

We use it to cook our frozen pizzas, boil water and even heat our dinner from yesterday, so here's how the microwave works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp33ZprO0Ck

I read through all the pages of that thread. Derailed by one comment. =X And it feels like a different discussion altogether, though I don't mind if mods merged the threads.

Anyway, this has bugged me for a long time, why does the colour gradient somethings show weird colours between two different colours (on monitor screens). Here's why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKnqECcg6Gw

Forced Induction - Supercharger vs. Turbo Charger

hear the guy read his script ...... i wan to zzzzzzzzzzz

Edited by Angcheek
  • Praise 3

Thanks for the headsup. I haven't seen that thread, am just going through it after the Super / Turbo video.

My thoughts were just to share about the workings of our world. I only searched for the word "science" / etc, didn't find the thread you mentioned before I started this, haha.

We use it to cook our frozen pizzas, boil water and even heat our dinner from yesterday, so here's how the microwave works.

I would like to try this on the micro ............. here Anyone ?

Edited by Angcheek
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

The first molecule of the world, heh heh heh...

And also something about super fluids (1:40) and molecule creation.

I actually watched till the end to only found out that luckily last time never study hard to reach that level - xiao ting tong level that is.

My understanding of momentum was wrong all these years hahahha ... mayhe was taught but i forgotten it.
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

Singapore many many :grin:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/scientists-accidentally-turn-humid-air-213221510.html

Scientists accidentally turn humid air into clean energy

A research team at the University of Massachusetts Amherst has successfully generated energy out of thin air.

How it started: The team first discovered the possibility in 2018 while working on a sensor for air humidity.

Senior author Jun Yao told the Guardian that it all started when a student forgot to plug in the sensor’s power. Afterward, they realized that the sensor — which was made of nanowires — produced electrical signals nonetheless. They learned that each nanowire allowed for an airborne water molecule to enter, and each “bump” it made inside resulted in a small charge.

Their latest finding: The team has since worked to develop their discovery. In 2020, Yao and another co-author, Derek Lovley, reported that electricity could be continuously harvested from the air using a specialized material made of protein nanowires grown from a bacterium called Geobacter sulfurreducens.

In their latest study published in the journal Advanced Materials last month, Yao and his team — including lead author Xiaomeng Liu, Hongyan Gao and Lu Sun — reported that nearly any material can be used for the same purpose as long as they are dotted with “nanopores.” These are holes with a diameter of less than 100 nanometers, or as Yao puts it, “less than a thousandth of the width of a human hair.”

How it works: The result is essentially a battery. Because the pores are so small, water molecules harvested from the air bump into their edge. The upper part of the harvester then becomes concentrated with more charged molecules than its lower part. An imbalance is created, akin to clouds capable of producing lightning.

The bigger picture: The findings present the possibility for a future that derives clean energy from anywhere — as long as there’s humidity. Harvesters can be made from almost anything and can be tailored for different environments.

“This is very exciting,” lead author Liu said in a statement. “We are opening up a wide door for harvesting clean electricity from thin air.”

Edited by Windwaver
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic
On 7/5/2023 at 11:30 AM, Mustank said:

Scientist 科学家

i also want to be scientist no need to Cheong sua

LOL. It's not about the scientist. It's about the background.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1