Roundabout Rules

Detach8

It seems a lot of people here don't know how to drive around a roundabout. Almost kena hit by a cockernarden at International Business Park, and the joker still think it's his right of way.

Let me set this straight: If you are in the LEFT lane, you are supposed to exit at the immediate next exit or go straight (depend on the number of the entry lanes and roundabout lanes). These rules are INTERNATIONALLY KNOWN. There's no special rule for Singapore.

When a driver sees a car in the LEFT lane passing 2 exits, it is assumed he is clear to come into the roundabout with the knowledge that the other driver will be exiting.

AND... signal your intent to exit the roundabout (left signal) or continue going around (right signal).

Same rules actually apply for the roundabout at Suntec but most drivers here are too cock so it's seems to be a unspoken rule to change lane to the left before you exit.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

It seems a lot of people here don't know how to drive around a roundabout. Almost kena hit by a cockernarden at International Business Park, and the joker still think it's his right of way.

Let me set this straight: If you are in the LEFT lane, you are supposed to exit at the immediate next exit or go straight (depend on the number of the entry lanes and roundabout lanes). These rules are INTERNATIONALLY KNOWN. There's no special rule for Singapore.

When a driver sees a car in the LEFT lane passing 2 exits, it is assumed he is clear to come into the roundabout with the knowledge that the other driver will be exiting.

AND... signal your intent to exit the roundabout (left signal) or continue going around (right signal).

Same rules actually apply for the roundabout at Suntec but most drivers here are too cock so it's seems to be a unspoken rule to change lane to the left before you exit.

Good reminder, but we dun need a scolding here. Please mind your tone, Saint.

• Praise 2

what if the exit is with 2 lanes and you are on the left lane, would you still go straight?

• Praise 1

i use the pinoeer round about at pinoeer road north below AYE every day ,

2 lane go in, there is no lane marking dotted or any thing inside

if u go in from the left lane u become on the outside, basically u can chose to exit any exit u want

if any car go in from the right lane , u become inside, and u want to exit left, and it happen the vehicle on your left chose to go ahead,

well u need to slow down signal left and filter out,

thats how i see it lol

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

Another tricky and crowded roundabout is Tuas exit

It has 3 lanes for queuing but actually only have space for 2 cars to drive around it

If you use it everyday, think it should be ok coz you will definitely be vigilant and the key is give way when needed

Maybe in your case, that's a newbie to that place and not sure how to drive on the roundabout

On normal turnings, sometimes lane formation also not correct, the roundabout is even more complicated especially for first timers

• Praise 1

Once we are on the left-most lane (car 1) , we must exit roundabout at the next exit. The car on the inner lane (car 2) wil filter to the left-most lane before the next exit to leave the roundabout.

Assuming that car 1 on the left-most lane did not exit as he was supposed to, and continues travelling on the same lane, while car 2 is exiting. There will be a collision.

If we take Newton Circus as an example (at a time without traffic lights). A car coming from Clemenceau Avenue on the left most lane is supposed to exit at next exit which is Scotts Road. A car already on the roundabout 2nd lane can also exit from 2nd lane into Scotts Road at the same time as long as car 1 follows this rule as Scotts Road has multi lanes.

• Praise 3

Many hairy moments at the 3 roundabouts located at Sports Hub.

Just because there are not many vehicles in area, I observed many did not bother slow down before the stopline before entering the roundabouts.

• Praise 4

Simple example. In a two lane entry/exit roundabout with 4 exits (12, 3, 6, 9 o'clock) going clockwise.

The inner lane (right lane) car can go straight, i.e enter 6 o'clock and exit 12 o'clock. If you are on the outer lane (left lane) and enter at 6 o'clock, it is a MUST to exit at 12 otherwise you will collide with cars from the inner lane exiting at 12! There is no need for cars in the inner lane to filter left before exiting, although signalling is highly recommended as a form of courtesy. If you are in the outer (left) lane, enter at 6 o'clock, but intend to go to 3 o'clock, then you MUST filter into the inner (right) lane.

I think these information are easily available via Google, so there's no need to explain too much here... please Google if unsure/curious.

I don't mean to give a lecture but this is not the first time I almost got hit. In other countries people simply just drive through roundabouts but here it's always a mayhem of lane changing, lane straddling (driving in between two lanes) and improper signaling. Somemore the guy who almost hit me had a MCF decal.

the most hairly 1 i came across is the jin buroh, jurong pier flyover that 1. if u first timer and kenna peak hour, will have nightmare

Turbocharged

thanks Spore roads started to have the roundabout after it almost vanished 20 yrs ago.

Almost all drivers forgotten the rules.

I also had a near accident at the Staduim area.

I observed every single driver there, all CMI.

• Praise 2

Actually there is only one rule - always give way to the right vehicle.

• Praise 1

i use the pinoeer round about at pinoeer road north below AYE every day ,

2 lane go in, there is no lane marking dotted or any thing inside

if u go in from the left lane u become on the outside, basically u can chose to exit any exit u want

if any car go in from the right lane , u become inside, and u want to exit left, and it happen the vehicle on your left chose to go ahead,

well u need to slow down signal left and filter out,

thats how i see it lol

i would disagree there if its a exit with 2 lanes. The vehicle on the left MUST exit and should not go ahead.

Left and right car can exit simultaneously.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

I don't mean more than just sharing what I see daily and of coz we should follow the rules

This is what I see every morning

Enter at 6 o'clock

Cars on 3 lanes move and slowly filter to become 2 lanes on the basis of give and take

Cars on left lane will signal left but will almost never exit at 12 o'clock, they will exit at 3 o'clock on the left lane

The cars on right lane will also exit at 3 o'clock but on the right lane

If you know the Tuas exit roundabout well, please share, thanks!

Supersonic
(edited)

In principle, @Detach8 is correct. There is an internationally-recognised way to navigate a roundabout.

However, in practice, local customs often override international convention. In Singapore, the problem is that drivers are often arseholes. They don't give way, in fact they're often intent on blocking others as if their very lives depended on it. Hence, a driver in the appropriate middle or inner lane of a roundabout has no confidence about being able to filter into the exiting lane when he needs to. When there is no etiquette, the system breaks down. There is no sense in haranguing "CMI" drivers about their lack of theoretical know-how when the issue is a very practical one to do with local attitudes.

And this sort of thing is hardly unique to Singapore; in fact we're not even the only developed nation to "not know" how to drive on roundabouts. Just look at Paris' Arc de Triomphe.

http://youtu.be/-2RCPpdmSVg

Now, after viewing that video, don't you think driving along Newton Circus (or *any* other roundabout here) is far more civilised? While we just have organised chaos, the French have decidedly disorganised chaos. Perhaps the root cause is the same - the French are known for having a disproportionately large number of arseholes too, just less repressed ones than in Singapore.

Edited by Turboflat4
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3