Dell XPS 27" Vs iMac 27"

NightWind

Dell XPS 27" or Apple iMac 27"  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Dell XPS 27" or Apple iMac 27"

• Dell XPS 27"
    • Apple iMax 27"

Hi guys need some guidance from the bros here. Am looking for a all-in-one big screen (27" and above) high reso (ABOVE 1080p, at 2,560x,1440) all in one desktop and I can only find the below two options.

I have to confess I am not a great Apple fan boy and find their products over priced and this seems to be confirmed in the price and specs comparisons. The Dell XPS 27" has touch-screen, HDMI in and output, has optical drive which is absent from the iMac. The adjustable stand is also a benefit as I do lots of swiping (and toggling maps) in high resos so laying it flat helps a lot for touch interface.

Anyway I am trying to keep an open mind so I am throwing this poll and discussion tread out to the bros here and will appreciate their feedback and guidance.

BTW one of the other options I considered was to use a UHD 55" TV as a monitor, but its just not the same. Screen is to large so I need something smaller for more focused work and play.

Here are the write-ups on both PCs from Cnet to help start the tread rolling;

1) Dell XPS 27" : http://www.cnet.com/products/dell-xps-one-27-all-in-one-desktop/

2) iMac 27" : http://www.cnet.com/products/apple-imac-2013/

Thank you in advance

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

Hi guys need some guidance from the bros here. Am looking for a all-in-one big screen (27" and above) high reso (ABOVE 1080p, at 2,560x,1440) all in one desktop and I can only find the below two options.

I have to confess I am not a great Apple fan boy and find their products over priced and this seems to be confirmed in the price and specs comparisons. The Dell XPS 27" has touch-screen, HDMI in and output, has optical drive which is absent from the iMac. The adjustable stand is also a benefit as I do lots of swiping (and toggling maps) in high resos so laying it flat helps a lot for touch interface.

Anyway I am trying to keep an open mind so I am throwing this poll and discussion tread out to the bros here and will appreciate their feedback and guidance.

BTW one of the other options I considered was to use a UHD 55" TV as a monitor, but its just not the same. Screen is to large so I need something smaller for more focused work and play.

1) Dell XPS 27" : http://www.cnet.com/products/dell-xps-one-27-all-in-one-desktop/

Thank you in advance

I own a late 2013 iMac 27", and one of the biggest disappointment was the inability to use the iMac as a screen replacement ie. HDMI in. That means I have to have both a TV and a 27" screen in limited spaces

Other than that, the OS X is sleek, but being a long time window's user, I can't really use it on a deeper level, and windows is improving big time, with Windows 7, then 8.1, and soon to be Win 10. Not bashing OS X, but there are lots of restrictions on using both hardware and software, as complete OS upgrades are as frequent as once per year, and many software/drivers which are not updated may suddenly not be supported anymore.

Using bootcamp will solve 99% of the problem. Small problems like lagging in recognition of the bluetooth mouse/keyboard during bootup is a repeated annoyance.

Do I regret getting the iMac? I feel restricted to do only leisure stuff with the iMac, but the beauty and build quality of the hardware makes me want it over other white goods PC any day.

Edited by Sturtles
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

Thank you in advance

Seems to me that you've already figured out what you want... the Dell has the touchscreen, a stand more adjustable without the hassle of getting to grips with a new OS.

Only choose the iMac if you prefer OS X or if you're already invested in the OSX/iOS ecosystem.

I used to use a 50" TV as a computer screen for my Mac Mini. But that was also a wall mounted TV and I was using it from the couch using a logitech wireless keyboard like this... was not a happy experience... strained eye and a stiff neck.

wireless-touch-keyboard-k400r-glamour-lg

• Praise 2

Care to share with us what do you usually use the laptop for?

Word doc, emails, spreadsheets, powerpoint, web browsing? Or video editing, photoshop ( are u into photgraphy?) graphic design, 3D design?

Nina

THANK YOU Sturtles, one of my concerns were the restrictions mentioned. The iMac also seems unable to do some standard stuff like playing DVDs and ripping data from disks.

The use of proprietary thunderbolt video cable also restricts interface with other devices. And I suspect Apple tries to get users to use iTunes and cloud.

I am also not sure how well some of the games I play will run on a Mac as we rely a lot on scripts built into the Chrome browsers. And although chrome is available on Safari it may not be able to run these scripts. I know for instance the scripts do not run on the Minix Android platform.

I own a late 2013 iMac 27", and one of the biggest disappointment was the inability to use the iMac as a screen replacement ie. HDMI in. That means I have to have both a TV and a 27" screen in limited spaces

Other than that, the OS X is sleek, but being a long time window's user, I can't really use it on a deeper level, and windows is improving big time, with Windows 7, then 8.1, and soon to be Win 10. Not bashing OS X, but there are lots of restrictions on using both hardware and software, as complete OS upgrades are as frequent as once per year, and many software/drivers which are not updated may suddenly not be supported anymore.

Using bootcamp will solve 99% of the problem. Small problems like lagging in recognition of the bluetooth mouse/keyboard during bootup is a repeated annoyance.

Do I regret getting the iMac? I feel restricted to do only leisure stuff with the iMac, but the beauty and build quality of the hardware makes me want it over other white goods PC any day.

Thanks Insi1dious. Yeah I tried to use my TV as PC for awhile and suffered the same issues.

That's why I am now looking at this option as my current 23" screen is just too small.

Seems to me that you've already figured out what you want... the Dell has the touchscreen, a stand more adjustable without the hassle of getting to grips with a new OS.

Only choose the iMac if you prefer OS X or if you're already invested in the OSX/iOS ecosystem.

I used to use a 50" TV as a computer screen for my Mac Mini. But that was also a wall mounted TV and I was using it from the couch using a logitech wireless keyboard like this... was not a happy experience... strained eye and a stiff neck.

wireless-touch-keyboard-k400r-glamour-lg

My needs are quite basic. The usual web browsing and games, word, excel, Skype. I don't do photography or graphic design but I do need a high reso big display as the games I play (like Command & Conquer Tiberium Alliances) have lots of maps with a lot of detail which does not show up well on my current 23" PC.

Infact I noticed that when I ran the game on the iMac 27" the higher resos (above 1080p) brought out much of the map details which made scrolling through maps and looking at data and detail a lot easier on the eyes.

And I really need a touch screen for the maps, especially pinch to zoom. Hate using the mouse for these.

Care to share with us what do you usually use the laptop for?

Word doc, emails, spreadsheets, powerpoint, web browsing? Or video editing, photoshop ( are u into photgraphy?) graphic design, 3D design?

Nina

I didn't know C&C still exist. :P

The retina screens for imacs are very good for graphic work where colours are important.
Mac OS also runs graphic softwares very well.

But based on your usage, unless you really like how mac OS operates, then I think a PC will suffice.
With a PC, if you are very anal about good visual quality, you can get a good standalone screen for your gaming needs. http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/19/campaigns/dell-ultrasharpmonitors

These ultrasharp screens don't come cheap because they are not your average off the shelf monitors, but the visual quality is comparable to a imac. I am using one of these. I have a photographer fren who looked at my DELL monitor side by side with the new imac retina display and the verdict was the sharpness and colour accuracy is better with the DELL.

Have a look at the reviews
Here's one to start you off. http://www.cnet.com/topics/monitors/best-monitors/

Nina

• Praise 1

(edited)

THANK YOU Sturtles, one of my concerns were the restrictions mentioned. The iMac also seems unable to do some standard stuff like playing DVDs and ripping data from disks.

The use of proprietary thunderbolt video cable also restricts interface with other devices. And I suspect Apple tries to get users to use iTunes and cloud.

I am also not sure how well some of the games I play will run on a Mac as we rely a lot on scripts built into the Chrome browsers. And although chrome is available on Safari it may not be able to run these scripts. I know for instance the scripts do not run on the Minix Android platform.

Thanks Insi1dious. Yeah I tried to use my TV as PC for awhile and suffered the same issues.

That's why I am now looking at this option as my current 23" screen is just too small.

The performance of the iMac is not really lacking, and the OS X restrictions can be worked around by installing windows in its place. However, it does not have a touchscreen, and I can imagine playing C&C on a Hi-Res screen with a Touchscreen

You indeed become the commander like said in the movie-cut-scenes.

Edited by Sturtles

Hypersonic

If the requirement for image is not of graphic artist standard, can consider one of those korean make 27" , 2560X1440, using Samsung IPS panel or LG IPS panel. Brands like Qnix, Crossover, Shimiam

Price is much cheaper, more than $300 online.. I got the QNIX 2710, quite please with the output. But the stand is quite cheapo, but I'm not demanding.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

My needs are quite basic. The usual web browsing and games, word, excel, Skype. I don't do photography or graphic design but I do need a high reso big display as the games I play (like Command & Conquer Tiberium Alliances) have lots of maps with a lot of detail which does not show up well on my current 23" PC.

Infact I noticed that when I ran the game on the iMac 27" the higher resos (above 1080p) brought out much of the map details which made scrolling through maps and looking at data and detail a lot easier on the eyes.

And I really need a touch screen for the maps, especially pinch to zoom. Hate using the mouse for these.

I have a 5K iMac. Spec'd high... When I buy a game on Steam, sometimes I get the copy of the game for Win and for OS X. If I have the windows version, I tend to boot into Win 7 using bootcamp.

If you plan on gaming a lot... the iMac is not the machine for you. Why?

1) 'Cos I think DirectX > OpenGL

2) There isn't that much of a thermal headroom with that super slim casing. Here are some of the temp readings from mine;

Update with my i7/M295X iMac for gaming under Win 7 x64;

All games at 2560x1440;

- Tomb Raider, Ultra setting, GPU temp @ ~95c

- Shadows of Mordor, High settings, GPU temp @ ~105c

- Dota 2, High/Ultra, GPU temp @ 85c

- Heroes of Newerth, High/Ultra, GPU temp @ <85c

- Counter Strike: Global Offensive, High, GPU temp @ 95c

- Crysis 3, High settings, GPU temp @ ~105c

Attaching some screen shots of settings used when playing. The games are buttery smooth. And look damn good. But a Windows machine will do it running cooler and by being cheaper.

post-46412-0-28799000-1431911932_thumb.jpg

post-46412-0-16177700-1431911941_thumb.jpg

post-46412-0-69383900-1431911949_thumb.jpg

post-46412-0-54304500-1431911958_thumb.jpg

post-46412-0-28733400-1431911969_thumb.jpg

post-46412-0-43100500-1431911978_thumb.jpg

post-46412-0-27396900-1431912000_thumb.jpg

post-46412-0-18770900-1431912011_thumb.jpg

post-46412-0-57799800-1431912020_thumb.jpg

I have a 5K iMac. Spec'd high... When I buy a game on Steam, sometimes I get the copy of the game for Win and for OS X. If I have the windows version, I tend to boot into Win 7 using bootcamp.

If you plan on gaming a lot... the iMac is not the machine for you. Why?

1) 'Cos I think DirectX > OpenGL

2) There isn't that much of a thermal headroom with that super slim casing. Here are some of the temp readings from mine;

Attaching some screen shots of settings used when playing. The games are buttery smooth. And look damn good. But a Windows machine will do it running cooler and by being cheaper.

With those kinds of temps, the gpu won't last long during prolong gaming periods.... What's the GPU on those things?

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

With those kinds of temps, the gpu won't last long during prolong gaming periods.... What's the GPU on those things?

27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display

4.0GHz QC i7 Turboboost 4.4GHz

32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-4x8GB

3TB Fusion Dr (3TB+128GBFlash)

AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB GDDR5

:D Good thing games don't play that big a part of what I do. I play maybe about 30-40 mins over the weekend. Max about 1 hour on a stretch.

It's more of a productivity/video scrubbing machine.

(edited)

Apple Imac more chio

i am also in the same situation as you. need a new com and considering a mac cos all the PC sibeh ugly. Wish they'd spend more $$$ in the design department and come up with something decent.

My benchmark is it has to be something that you wouldnt' mind putting in the living room. So far nothing can match up to the mac aesthetics.

Edited by Mockngbrd

hi bro i originally thought so too but when i saw the Dell XPS 27" i have to say this is one very nice looking flagship PC.

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-6Gze9cC7Q

As a daily workbench and gaming platform, i am inclined towards the XPS 27"

Apple Imac more chio

i am also in the same situation as you. need a new com and considering a mac cos all the PC sibeh ugly. Wish they'd spend more $$$ in the design department and come up with something decent.

My benchmark is it has to be something that you wouldnt' mind putting in the living room. So far nothing can match up to the mac aesthetics.

• Praise 1

(edited)

hi bro i originally thought so too but when i saw the Dell XPS 27" i have to say this is one very nice looking flagship PC.

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-6Gze9cC7Q

As a daily workbench and gaming platform, i am inclined towards the XPS 27"

Nice for a PC but still not quite there yet. actually one thing i also really dislike about PCs is the amt of bloatware that comes with it. I know i can remove them but its such a huge pita. srsly.

Edited by Mockngbrd

i think 27" HP Envy is only FHD but its nice.

Here are some more comparisons for the higher end all-in-ones;

Published on Nov 2, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbDTL4VI6m4

http://ozanekinci.blogspot.com/

performance, design, and convenientmaintenance've listed

prepare for you the highest quality video

--DELL XPS 27--

Intel® Core i7-4770S processor (8M Cache, up to 3.9 GHz)

27 inch LED Backlit Touch Display with IPS/Anti Glare and Adobe RGB QHD resolution (2560 X 1440)

Multi-touch (10 Fingers Touch)

NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 750M 2GB GDDR5

16GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz (8GBx2)

Killer Wireless-N, 1202 for Video & Voice + Bluetooth 4.0

--Lenovo B750--

4th generation Intel® Core i7-4770 ( 3.40GHz 1600MHz 8MB)

29" IPS LED LCD 2560x1080

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX760A 1GB graphics

Up to 16GB PC3-12800 DDR3L 1600 MHz

JBL® designed 2.1 stereo speakers with 20W subwoofer

Blu-ray Disc RAMBO

--Asus ET2702IGTH--

Intel® Core i7 4770 Processor

27.0"(68.47cm), 16:9, Wide Screen, WQHD 2560x1440, LED-backlight, IPS, 178° wide viewing angle

Multi-touch (10 Fingers Touch)

AMD® Radeon HD8890A 2GB

8 GB Up to 32 GB RAM

802.11 b/g/n/ac Bluetooth V4.0

SonicMaster Premium

--MSİ AG270 2PE--

Intel® Core i7-4860HQ (2.4GHz)

27" FHD LED Backlight (Anti-Flicker)

10-point Touch Anti-Glare

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 8GB GDDR5 with NVIDIA® Optimus

16GB DDR3 RAM

128GB x2 SSD

Killer DoubleShot 802.11 BGN

Killer E2205 Gb LAN

--İMac with Retina 5K display--

27-inch (diagonal) Retina display with IPS technology; 5120-by-2880 resolution with support for millions of colors

4.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz).

8GB (two 4GB) of 1600MHz DDR3 memory; four SO-DIMM slots, user accessible

Configurable to 16GB or 32GB.

1TB Fusion Drive

Configurable to 3TB Fusion Drive or 256GB, 512GB, or 1TB of flash storage (SSD).

AMD Radeon R9 M295X with 4GB of GDDR5 memory

0/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 3840 by 2160 pixels on an external display

Category

Science & Technology

License

Standard YouTube License

I am using a 27" HP Envy All in One in office

So far so good..

Get a Windows PC if you don't need Mac for productivity related work.

Otherwise it's just overpriced, like iphones.

Thank you in advance

↡ Advertisement