Do you wax or apply sealant to your rims?

Tok

1st Gear

I read that a layer of wax or sealant on the rims will not only protect your expensive rims but also for ease of washing the black stuffs that stick to the wheels.

This is only for protection not cleaning so it is not abrasive. I found no such products in the usual shops or supermarkets.

Do you use such products. What is your recommendation?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

(edited)

Nobody does that. You use those that turn the brakedust to purple like Sonam or a cheaper alternative which is a Japanese brand sold at spc petrol station. I have use both before ease of getting rid of brake dust and help repel the dust for a short while.

Right now I am using a type of degreaser agent with the help of a brush. Very cheap as I got it during a warehouse sale. With solution dipped wipes to get to difficult corners it makes cleaning easier.

The dust stick is becoz of greasy substance. Some maids I see use dish washing detergent. Maybe work also.

It's better you use your sealant on your car headlights.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

I read that a layer of wax or sealant on the rims will not only protect your expensive rims but also for ease of washing the black stuffs that stick to the wheels.

This is only for protection not cleaning so it is not abrasive. I found no such products in the usual shops or supermarkets.

its fine i guess. normally i wash wax my car i dont really add a layer to my rims. becos i see the curves and the tight corners. i gave up halfway thru.. hahaha. just use soap to wash off the black stuff. i see people at the washing bay use a chemical to spray on the dirty rims n it becomes purple pink colour after a few spray any idea what is that n where to get it?

(edited)

its fine i guess. normally i wash wax my car i dont really add a layer to my rims. becos i see the curves and the tight corners. i gave up halfway thru.. hahaha. just use soap to wash off the black stuff. i see people at the washing bay use a chemical to spray on the dirty rims n it becomes purple pink colour after a few spray any idea what is that n where to get it?

autobacs / ntuc / ..etc

Edited by Furrynadz

Turbocharged

i use this product, not on my rims but on my brake calipers . Cleans and leaves a "protective" layer

http://getf1.trustpass.alibaba.com/product/126684262-103261082/Alloy_Rim_Protector_125ml_GETF_1.html

keeps the calipers looking clean for a longer period of time.

my rims are easy to maintain (due to 5 spoke design in gun metal colour) but the calipers (bright silver with blue and black words) get very dusty easily and are harder to clean.

can find this product at Autobacs ($7+) here as well as some shops in msia.

Twincharged

I do use sealant on my rims. Makes it alot easier to wash. Every month I seal the rims. Every week when I was the car, I only need to use the washer to spray the rims and most of the brakedust will be removed without any brushing or cleaning needed.

Neutral Newbie

Yes its a good idea to use the sealant if you have the time

But be sure to wash the rims well and remove the brake dust.

I use iron X remover or the Sonax All wheel cleaner.

But be careful when using the iron X type cleaner. Don't let it dwell too long. So do one rim at a time.

After that dry the wheel and coat it with a sealant like the Opti Seal - which is available from guys like the mad detailer.

It keeps the rims fairly dust free and easier to wash the brake dust off for about a month

The opt seal is very easy to use. Just spray on the wheel and spread it with a cloth.

Definitely better than just washing thoroughly and hoping for the best.

Hope it helps

SONAX has a rim sealant/coating that is easy to use. Lasts for a couple of months and makes washing the rims a much easier affair as well. Just wash and dry the rims thoroughly, spray and wipe. Peeps with multi-spokes rims might want to consider applying a coating on the rims as they can be a pain in the a*se to wash if left dirty for too long. A layer of coating makes it far easier to clean.

post-143060-0-96224500-1433230004_thumb.png

Where can i find this sealant? I can find the wheel cleaner but not this one at local retail.

SONAX has a rim sealant/coating that is easy to use. Lasts for a couple of months and makes washing the rims a much easier affair as well. Just wash and dry the rims thoroughly, spray and wipe. Peeps with multi-spokes rims might want to consider applying a coating on the rims as they can be a pain in the a*se to wash if left dirty for too long. A layer of coating makes it far easier to clean.

Where can i find this sealant? I can find the wheel cleaner but not this one at local retail.

Autobacs should carry the sealant. If not pop by our office and quote you are from MCF and we will give you a discount.

Having tried various wax/coating for rims, generally they don't last due to the heat on the wheel.

And if your wheel are not clear coated, I see no point of applying any wax on it. Suggest look for some brake pad with less brake dust.

1st Gear

Thank you for the information and constructive ideas.

It is through such contributions of matured members of the forum that makes reading of the forum such a joy.

Turbocharged
(edited)

I tried many brands to clean the brake dust....armour, turtle, sonax. All cmi.

The tough stain is still there.

In the end, use JIF. Best of the best and cheapest among all.

Fed.up with all these brake dust, i

Change a new set of brake pad (1 pair cost around s$120) with almost no brake dust.

Now very happy....rims looks clean and new every day.

Dump away all the chemical

Edited by Mcf777

Hypersonic

i use this - just put little soap water or car shampoo - wheels are lent to you only for 10 years only [:(]

cost no more than $1/- (get the smaller one - easier to go in small corners ) and can also use to wash the underside of the car too

post-157298-0-76905000-1435843299.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1