Duty free at Changi Airport

Sweeney

Hi MCFers and frequent travellers,

Want to ask if the duty-free liquor and beer at Changi Airport is really the cheapest and best-est as often claimed by DFS itself (of course) and many Singaporeans who only buy from there when they return from overseas?

I have always been under that impression and thus NEVER EVER look at duty-free shops at overseas airports but quai quai (dutifully) wait till I have landed at Changi to duly file into DFS Changi to buy my quota. Don't travel frequently so blur in this area.

Any frequent MCF-travellers can shed insights? Or have I been snooked by DFS for the longest time ever?

↡ Advertisement

Hi MCFers and frequent travellers,

Want to ask if the duty-free liquor and beer at Changi Airport is really the cheapest and best-est as often claimed by DFS itself (of course) and many Singaporeans who only buy from there when they return from overseas?

I have always been under that impression and thus NEVER EVER look at duty-free shops at overseas airports but quai quai (dutifully) wait till I have landed at Changi to duly file into DFS Changi to buy my quota. Don't travel frequently so blur in this area.

Any frequent MCF-travellers can shed insights? Or have I been snooked by DFS for the longest time ever?

It is dependent on product. If you are in France, grab two bottles of Grand Cruz wine and it will be much much much cheaper as compared to DFS. If you are in Scotland, their whisky will be cheaper as compared to DFS sg. But if you buy tiger beer, buy in DFS SG lah. Of course if you bring the liquor into Singapore from overseas, you have to conform to the alcohol duty free limit.

Hypersonic

Yup. Buy local product there and bring back to here.

Bought sake in Japan.

But I usually just buy everything here.

Sometimes I look thru the promotions at the overseas dfs liquor store.

Beer may not be the cheapest, our local supermarket when having promotion may have cheaper beer as compared to DFS

Beer may not be the cheapest, our local supermarket when having promotion may have cheaper beer as compared to DFS

Yeah you may be be right. Recently saw a supermarket having a promo for tiger beer at $2 per can.

Turbocharged

Not a given that DFS in SG will be cheaper.

Best is if you already have a product in mind and check DFS SG price before you fly.

Sometimes you buy from overseas because it just isn't available in DFS SG. Or if the item is hard to come by, eg: Yamazaki is actually hard to come by at DFS SG as it flies off the shelves once they are put up on display. (overrated by the way).

IshopChangi website and DFS SG has quite a number of prices for you to reference online if you find it a hassle to check physically.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

I buy from DFS Changi on return not because I want to save a few dollars , but its because I don't want to carry a bottle of liquor in my luggage when overseas. Even if I buy from overseas airport just before return , I still got to bring it on board to the plane.

Very leceh .

• Praise 4

not cheap leh i feel.

things like beer etc can get cheaper or similar price outside.

find the wines quite expensive at dfs. usually i check out the local supermarkets of the countries i travelling at . can find much better deals.

jap whisky like hibiki or yamazaki get from japan better.

• Praise 1

I buy from DFS Changi on return not because I want to save a few dollars , but its because I don't want to carry a bottle of liquor in my luggage when overseas. Even if I buy from overseas airport just before return , I still got to bring it on board to the plane.

Very leceh .

Wrap your bottle with socks and clothings and check-in your luggage. Touch wood, so far this method has been reliable for me. :-)

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Not a given that DFS in SG will be cheaper.

Best is if you already have a product in mind and check DFS SG price before you fly.

Sometimes you buy from overseas because it just isn't available in DFS SG. Or if the item is hard to come by, eg: Yamazaki is actually hard to come by at DFS SG as it flies off the shelves once they are put up on display. (overrated by the way).

IshopChangi website and DFS SG has quite a number of prices for you to reference online if you find it a hassle to check physically.

Yamazaki 18 is sold out worldwide. I got a bottle in Kyoto and another in Tokyo and that's it! Haneda also gone zilch 😂

Turbocharged

not cheap leh i feel.

things like beer etc can get cheaper or similar price outside.

find the wines quite expensive at dfs. usually i check out the local supermarkets of the countries i travelling at . can find much better deals.

jap whisky like hibiki or yamazaki get from japan better.

Wine is usually no go at DFS.

Beer, I'd buy if I have nothing else to grab on my list. Unless I'm aware of a beer sale at the supermarket.

Turbocharged

Yamazaki 18 is sold out worldwide. I got a bottle in Kyoto and another in Tokyo and that's it! Haneda also gone zilch 😂

I'm not an alcohol person, the beer / whisky I purchase are for my Dad or FIL.

Yamazaki sold at Changi apparently does not come with its age indicated now.

Macallan Select Oak (only sold at DFS) is not bad. $80.

Turbocharged

I'm not an alcohol person, the beer / whisky I purchase are for my Dad or FIL.

Yamazaki sold at Changi apparently does not come with its age indicated now.

Macallan Select Oak (only sold at DFS) is not bad. $80.

Those aren't vintage and you can get them still.

Turbocharged

Those aren't vintage and you can get them still.

I know. I think Suntory ran out of aged booze and just sell normal booze and slaps on the Yamazaki label for the newbie fans.

As our bros said, it depends item to item, some whiskeys are definitely cheaper here. What I would suggest is while going check the price here and compare it where ever you go. If that item is cheaper here, come and buy!

Anyway it is going to be very few $ here and there only!

Supersonic

Yeah you may be be right. Recently saw a supermarket having a promo for tiger beer at $2 per can.

Just saw it this morning, the $2 Tiger beer..

• Praise 1

(edited)

Just saw it this morning, the $2 Tiger beer..

wow that's good offer.:) which supermarket?

Edited by Janling3
↡ Advertisement