Elitism: Is our society fair? Certainly not

Icebrush79

Interesting and unpretentious article.

For all delusional people out there who thinks our society is fair, it is not. We are not a communist country.

Enjoy....

Source:

Byline: Fred, ASS contributor

"Dear All Singapore Stuff,

I would like to share my reflections on what the upcoming SG50 anniversary means to me, based on my personal experiences as an average Singaporean.

I have come to realize that the poor and lower-middle class represent an entirely different Singapore from the rich and upper-middle class. We are like two different nations.

Kids from the rich and upper-middle class are different from birth. They are equipped with skills an average Singaporean will never get. They are taught to play various musical instruments, taught a variety of sports and even go for supplementary classes from a young age. Not surprisingly these kids end up doing well academically and also excel in other activities. Even if they do not succeed academically,they have the financial support and necessary connections to set up their own businesses to establish themselves. These kids dominate the better schools and will inevitably become the next generation of elites. As an end result, we have the elite producing more elites.

What happens to the kids from the poor and lower middle class? The vast majority ends up in the neighbourhood schools. Less conducive environment, no guarantee of good teachers (I was once scolded by a MOE teacher for bothering her with too many questions about a humanities subject) and limited enrichment programmes. There are less opportunities for students to participate in competitions to boost their own confidence. Many cannot afford tuition. Quite a number are from broken families (myself included), and they are troubled by family problems even as they study. They also have to deal with exposure to kids who smoke, gangsters, bullies and other delinquents. These kids even have to work part-time during school holidays to increase their monthly allowance. Most end up in polytechnics or neighbourhood jcs and very few enter the local universities.

Being one of the few neighbourhood school kids who entered a good jc and then a local university, I experienced a culture shock. I could not relate to the majority of my classmates in my jc. Almost everyone in my jc class stayed in a condo or landed house.

I could not effectively communicate with them because I lacked relevant experiences like overseas trips as well as musical and sports talents. I couldn't understand why every outing had to involve eating at a restaurant in the city area and why there was so much spending. Most of the girls stayed in condos and frequently called others to come over for tennis games, swimming, barbecues and other frivolous celebrations. I actually felt embarrassed to be staying in a hdb flat with so few fun facilities as I could not engage my classmates in a similar manner. They had perfect families with supportive parents and they went on overseas trips every holiday in contrast to neighbourhood school people who usually worked part-time during holidays.

They were seasoned travelers who had no qualms about staying overseas for weeks without their families! Same thing in university. I found that there were fewer and fewer of the neighbourhood school kids with whom I could better identify. Those I know who went on exchange programmes and overseas CIP trips were mostly scholars and wealthy people. Those with greater purchasing power also enriched their university experience with participation in marathons, camps and clubbing events whereas those who were poorer were stuck with memories of lectures and tutorials, school activities and the inevitable bank loan.

Most of the rich people tend to think and behave similarly. For instance, during jc, they were taking their Grade 8 piano examinations at the same time, they took SATs while preparing for 'A' levels and later on in university, they took up driving lessons simultaneously. I could not even afford to take up driving and I didn't see the point of it because I have no car.

I think the poor and lower middle class appreciate simple pastimes better. A stroll in the park, running at the stadium, playing board games or card games at a void deck or playing basketball at a public basketball court is simply too boring for the wealthier people. Window-shopping without any purchase is ridiculous to them. They will never be seen doing any of these activities and will sneer at you or look bewildered if you even suggest any of these activities. If you say that $13 is too expensive for a movie or that $70 is too much for Universal Studios, they will just scold you for complaining so much. Gradually,they will abandon you for being such a boring and negative person.

I have seen enough to believe that the non-elite can never truly be part of one Singapore with the elites. We have different upbringings, different values, different lifestyles, different educational experiences and a different sense of identity. Our life goals are also different. While the elites love to say that what we see as elite is what they see as meritocracy, the hard truth is that there's such a thing as inherited meritocracy, and the non-elite lack the necessary resources and upbringing to properly compete with them. This leaves the majority of the non-elite with limited social mobility.

Equality is a lie. Rather than deceive myself into thinking that there can be a true, lasting friendship with an elite person, I choose to believe that elites can never understand or appreciate simplicity while living within the comforts of their condos and landed houses. Of course, I will work hard. But I also accept the reality that I am disadvantaged relative to the wealthier segments of society. Fraternization with them will only be counter-productive to my life goals.

As far as the non-elite like myself are concerned, it is best to leave the elites to their extravagant lifestyles. I strongly believe that the poor should not provide any entertainment to the rich. If we are invited to their parties, we should decline. Leave them to celebrate with their ilk. As we prepare to celebrate Singapore's golden jubilee, let's not deceive ourselves into thinking that we are all one. We certainly are not."

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

(edited)

that's life ...

it's the writer asking if the family is rich or upper-middle-class should not send their kid to enrichment programme,

should not allow their kid to learn piano or violin, should not bring their kid to oversea trips, should not allow their kid to drive their papa mama bmw & merc?

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 3

poor? write so much for what?

must as well go and work and earn money

I think he's just trying to make his point that all the propaganda about SG being an all inclusive and meritocracy is crap.....
Thinking on the bright side however, the poor does get more benefits from budget 2015.....
  • Praise 2

(edited)

bitter whiney millenial si ginna kpkb?

what they want? everything presented to them on a platter then happy? I suspect this article is BS written to sow discord.

I could not effectively communicate with them because I lacked relevant experiences like overseas trips as well as musical and sports talents. I couldn't understand why every outing had to involve eating at a restaurant in the city area and why there was so much spending. Most of the girls stayed in condos and frequently called others to come over for tennis games, swimming, barbecues and other frivolous celebrations. I actually felt embarrassed to be staying in a hdb flat with so few fun facilities as I could not engage my classmates in a similar manner. They had perfect families with supportive parents and they went on overseas trips every holiday in contrast to neighbourhood school people who usually worked part-time during holidays.
Cannot "communicate" with other ppl is their fault also? Low self esteem and small neh neh pok say so la... dunch say embarrased to stay Hdeebee flat le. So many others out there no issues with any of those listed above.
They were seasoned travelers who had no qualms about staying overseas for weeks without their families! Same thing in university. I found that there were fewer and fewer of the neighbourhood school kids with whom I could better identify. Those I know who went on exchange programmes and overseas CIP trips were mostly scholars and wealthy people. Those with greater purchasing power also enriched their university experience with participation in marathons, camps and clubbing events whereas those who were poorer were stuck with memories of lectures and tutorials, school activities and the inevitable bank loan.

Then what? Want to travel overseas, go work and get the $$$ la. That's what i did when i was in Poly. Work work work, do FL for sessi mei mei den get some $$$ go for school trip. Those times i no $$$ go, just dun go lo, those times other ppl go clubbing i cannot afford, don't go lo. Did it affect my friendships with them? No. Don't say clubbing sia, last time Poly time, want to eat Macdondon already considered luxury liao, dun even talk about cafe, but still, it was one of the best times of my life cos i forged some of the best friendships during that time. I also remember eating 2x those drink stall nasi lemak cos 1 packet $1, i eat full full for $2.

If you want to see rich/poor divide in school, go to design school. You'll either get the broke ass ppl like me last time, or the really rich drive car to school types. But if you are a genuine person, wealth is not a barrier to making friends. Envy and pride is.

So hard up for what. Want to improve the situation den study harder/work harder harder find gooder gooder job that pay better.

Most of the rich people tend to think and behave similarly. For instance, during jc, they were taking their Grade 8 piano examinations at the same time, they took SATs while preparing for 'A' levels and later on in university, they took up driving lessons simultaneously. I could not even afford to take up driving and I didn't see the point of it because I have no car.

CCB la, i took driving license when i was in NS hor, use my own crummy NS allowance to pay hor. 1 month can only afford 2 lessons, sometimes 3 at most. Still got my license with 1 try after about 1/2 a year. Beh kan say beh kan.

I think the poor and lower middle class appreciate simple pastimes better. A stroll in the park, running at the stadium, playing board games or card games at a void deck or playing basketball at a public basketball court is simply too boring for the wealthier people. Window-shopping without any purchase is ridiculous to them. They will never be seen doing any of these activities and will sneer at you or look bewildered if you even suggest any of these activities. If you say that $13 is too expensive for a movie or that $70 is too much for Universal Studios, they will just scold you for complaining so much. Gradually,they will abandon you for being such a boring and negative person.
Writer is not just a boring and negative person but lousy at choosing friends and has a super myopic outlook.
I have seen enough to believe that the non-elite can never truly be part of one Singapore with the elites. We have different upbringings, different values, different lifestyles, different educational experiences and a different sense of identity. Our life goals are also different. While the elites love to say that what we see as elite is what they see as meritocracy, the hard truth is that there's such a thing as inherited meritocracy,

Suck it up.

the non-elite lack the necessary resources and upbringing to properly compete with them. This leaves the majority of the non-elite with limited social mobility.

BS.
Equality is a lie. Rather than deceive myself into thinking that there can be a true, lasting friendship with an elite person, I choose to believe that elites can never understand or appreciate simplicity while living within the comforts of their condos and landed houses. Of course, I will work hard. But I also accept the reality that I am disadvantaged relative to the wealthier segments of society. Fraternization with them will only be counter-productive to my life goals.

That's the writer's own myopic and lousy life choice.

As far as the non-elite like myself are concerned, it is best to leave the elites to their extravagant lifestyles. I strongly believe that the poor should not provide any entertainment to the rich. If we are invited to their parties, we should decline. Leave them to celebrate with their ilk. As we prepare to celebrate Singapore's golden jubilee, let's not deceive ourselves into thinking that we are all one. We certainly are not.

Nobody wants a negative Nancy at their party anyway. Life's not fair, nobody ever said it was. How one chooses to deal with what he/she gots is usually up to them though.

One more thing to add, CCB got hand got leg cannot work ah?

Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Praise 24

人比人, 气死人

一山还有一山高

it's liddat...

Yes, contentment is essential for a happy and fulfilling life.
Everyone has desires and expectations, and the world of social media and brazen advertising is distracting people further and further away from contentment

I think he's just trying to make his point that all the propaganda about SG being an all inclusive and meritocracy is crap.....
Thinking on the bright side however, the poor does get more benefits from budget 2015.....

incvlusive and meritocracy doesn't mean everybody is equal

ask the boy to suck it up and work his arse off if he wants more in life

jjww aint going to see him anywhere

• Praise 1

i dun agree, many children average or low income get scholarships and did well in their life. Many work hard for it, and not just brushing off as propaganda, i do agree elite has more doors open but doesn't mean the society have the right to shut them in order to be 'fair'.

too negative la. I know so many pple who grew up in blue collar parents environment with many siblings but stil made it good.

its the drive and will of the person not the surroundings.

• Praise 5

Interesting and unpretentious article.
For all delusional people out there who thinks our society is fair, it is not. We are not a communist country.
Enjoy....
Source:
Byline: Fred, ASS contributor
"Dear All Singapore Stuff,
I would like to share my reflections on what the upcoming SG50 anniversary means to me, based on my personal experiences as an average Singaporean.
I have come to realize that the poor and lower-middle class represent an entirely different Singapore from the rich and upper-middle class. We are like two different nations.
Kids from the rich and upper-middle class are different from birth. They are equipped with skills an average Singaporean will never get. They are taught to play various musical instruments, taught a variety of sports and even go for supplementary classes from a young age. Not surprisingly these kids end up doing well academically and also excel in other activities. Even if they do not succeed academically,they have the financial support and necessary connections to set up their own businesses to establish themselves. These kids dominate the better schools and will inevitably become the next generation of elites. As an end result, we have the elite producing more elites.
What happens to the kids from the poor and lower middle class? The vast majority ends up in the neighbourhood schools. Less conducive environment, no guarantee of good teachers (I was once scolded by a MOE teacher for bothering her with too many questions about a humanities subject) and limited enrichment programmes. There are less opportunities for students to participate in competitions to boost their own confidence. Many cannot afford tuition. Quite a number are from broken families (myself included), and they are troubled by family problems even as they study. They also have to deal with exposure to kids who smoke, gangsters, bullies and other delinquents. These kids even have to work part-time during school holidays to increase their monthly allowance. Most end up in polytechnics or neighbourhood jcs and very few enter the local universities.
Being one of the few neighbourhood school kids who entered a good jc and then a local university, I experienced a culture shock. I could not relate to the majority of my classmates in my jc. Almost everyone in my jc class stayed in a condo or landed house.
I have seen enough to believe that the non-elite can never truly be part of one Singapore with the elites. We have different upbringings, different values, different lifestyles, different educational experiences and a different sense of identity. Our life goals are also different. While the elites love to say that what we see as elite is what they see as meritocracy, the hard truth is that there's such a thing as inherited meritocracy, and the non-elite lack the necessary resources and upbringing to properly compete with them. This leaves the majority of the non-elite with limited social mobility.
As far as the non-elite like myself are concerned, it is best to leave the elites to their extravagant lifestyles. I strongly believe that the poor should not provide any entertainment to the rich. If we are invited to their parties, we should decline. Leave them to celebrate with their ilk. As we prepare to celebrate Singapore's golden jubilee, let's not deceive ourselves into thinking that we are all one. We certainly are not."

I think this experience would spur u on to do better .. you have an edge over those that have everything handed to them..

I supposed this is the sequence of event that will follow.

1. Hurt and dishearted.

2. realised that if wallow in self pity its a one way street

3. take life experience and move on

4. become better and find that edge and oppertunity to get out of the cycle

5. try and fail and try until sucessful

6. making it good and proof that its not a sin to be poor but blaming everyone else will do u no good

by then you reach mid life and enjoying the fruit of your labour

• Praise 1

A good education has blessed this author with the ability to write good prose.

He has all the essentials to allow his kids to choose close to the whatever acclaimed lifestyle the elites go for. He just probably hasn't realised it yet.

When he first starts working, he will feel the gulf. He should work hard for 10 years then look back. Be frugal as well. I am sure he will not write the same article 10 years later.

• Praise 2

incvlusive and meritocracy doesn't mean everybody is equal

ask the boy to suck it up and work his arse off if he wants more in life

jjww aint going to see him anywhere

I think just by working his arse off does not ensure that he will make it in life. Only a rare handful rags to riches cases happen in reality.
His article's perspective is very realistic actually, not so my pure whining imo.
People with better-to-do background is almost guaranteed success in life, regardless if (s)he is hardworking or not, capable or not, smart or not, and the list goes.........
People from poor backgrounds can work/study their ass off and clinch a high paying job, only to see their income neutralised as they have to fund their obligations like taking care of parents, paying off hdb loans (then upgrade if they continue to propser in their jobs) and a long list of bills....
Then.... their job isn't secured in bad economy, there's always an uncertainty.
The richer peer can comfortably graduate and may be mediocre in his/her career, but still dwell in Condos / landed houses and live a life relatively worry free from uncertainties and still wait for their inheritance

I disagree. Author wants segregation along economic lines?

There's always going to be rich and poor (even in a "communist" state like China).

Society is only unfair if you think it is.

↡ Advertisement