Help needed to shortlist a NEW car (budget < $160k)

F1enthusiast

Driving a Toyota with COE expiring soon... Have started shopping for a replacement car few months back but to no avail. Have also read postings of some cars shared in this forum. The more I read, the more I'm at a loss. No car seems to have a perfect fit into the so-called "ideal" car. Hence, hope the forumers here could help to shortlist a car that best fits the following criteria:

a) From AD only

b) Budget - Not more than $160k

c) Type - 4-door sedan preferred (will also consider SUV)

d) Make - Continental or Japanese

e) Capacity - Between 1400cc and 1600cc

f) FC - No less than 12 km/ ltr (highway 60% + urban 40%)

g) Output - Prefer a powerful sedan (no lag up slope eg. Novena Square/ Ngee Ann City multi-storey car park when fully packed with passengers)

h) Reliability which can last for 10 years with no major hiccups like gear box problem, oil leaks, overheating, etc. (normal wear and tear ok)

i) Servicing/ maintenance costs (by AD or credible workshops) - Not more than $15k over the 10 years ownership

Understand Toyota will be a value-for-money option but this time round, hope to try something different. Certainly appreciate constructive suggestions as I would like to complete the purchase by this year. No flaming please.

Thanks lots!

↡ Advertisement

If u prefer a powerful sedan, why limit yourself to 1.4-1.6l? your budget can get Cat B cars...

Edited by Tkseah
  • Praise 1

My mileage pretty low (less than 10,000 km per year). Hence, not worth getting a diesel car.

you might want to consider diesel for its frugal fuel economy and high torque to move heavy load at ease.

Cat B cars can be those with 130hp & above. I'm fine too.

If u prefer a powerful sedan, why limit yourself to 1.4-1.6l? your budget can get Cat B cars...

Would like to hear personal experiences.

www.sgmart.com

• Praise 1

Driving a Toyota with COE expiring soon... Have started shopping for a replacement car few months back but to no avail. Have also read postings of some cars shared in this forum. The more I read, the more I'm at a loss. No car seems to have a perfect fit into the so-called "ideal" car. Hence, hope the forumers here could help to shortlist a car that best fits the following criteria:

a) From AD only

e) Capacity - Between 1400cc and 1600cc

f) FC - No less than 12 km/ ltr (highway 60% + urban 40%)

g) Output - Prefer a powerful sedan (no lag up slope eg. Novena Square/ Ngee Ann City multi-storey car park when fully packed with passengers)

h) Reliability which can last for 10 years with no major hiccups like gear box problem, oil leaks, overheating, etc. (normal wear and tear ok)

i) Servicing/ maintenance costs (by AD or credible workshops) - Not more than $15k over the 10 years ownership

Understand Toyota will be a value-for-money option but this time round, hope to try something different. Certainly appreciate constructive suggestions as I would like to complete the purchase by this year. No flaming please.

Thanks lots!

condition 1.4 to 1.6 and FC >12km/L, already narrowed down your option to very limited zone,

1. Cruze 1.4T, powerful sedan (138bhp), <160k, FC 14km/L, reliability good

2. Audi A3 1.4T, powerful sedan (123bhp), <160k, FC 20km/L, reliability good

3. Ford Kuga 1.5T, Very Powerful SUV (180bhp), <160k, 13.5km/L, Reliability ???

4. Honda Vezel 1.5, powerful SUV (129bhp), <160k, 17km/L, Reliability very good

5. Jetta Sport 1.4T, Very Powerful sedan (160bhp), <160K, 16km/L, Reliability ???

others such as Altis, Mz3, Kia K3 etc, price much cheaper but power may some compromise

• Praise 2

My mileage pretty low (less than 10,000 km per year). Hence, not worth getting a diesel car.

thot fuel economy is one of your selection criteria? if not can just go for big cc cars if you need more power. further 1,400 to 1,600 cc cars normally torque should be 200Nm thereabout. Not a problem with 2-3 passengers, but if fully occupied than you can feel the difference when stepping on the accelerator.

wow ... you're really kind to spoon feed [thumbsup]

can do a list for likes and dislikes for all models? lol

condition 1.4 to 1.6 and FC >12km/L, already narrowed down your option to very limited zone,

5. Jetta Sport 1.4T, Very Powerful sedan (160bhp), <160K, 16km/L, Reliability ???

others such as Altis, Mz3, Kia K3 etc, price much cheaper but power may some compromise

Edited by Wt_know

i do sometimes get myself into similar situations as well, like a particular car but not the interior. or prefer the interior but somehow the engine specs does not satisfy my expectations. only if we can easily configure and customize our rides. haha

Wah seriously bro, your this kind of requirement I don't think got car will tick all the boxes lah. No matter what car you choose, sure will have 2 boxes cannot tick one. ESP (H) and (I), car problems and reliability depend a lot on how you drive the car, your annual milleage etc.

With 160k, consider CLA180 lah or VW Tiguan 1.4 (6 speed wet clutch; since you scared gearbox problem)

• Praise 1

a) From AD only

your a to c requirements means d is cfm Japanese already.

Just to broaden your scope a little, in my opinion if you considering Conti (with your said fuel consumption and reliability requirements in f and h respectively) the car I would go for is the Merc CLA, but that one is about 10k more than your 160k.

The new Harrier would be top of my list given your price range. It's not AD, but it's a Toyota that can probably be serviced just about anywhere. Comfort and refinement level are near lexus with good FC from the new generation Toyota engines.

If AD is a must, maybe Mazda 6 is worth looking at.

Limiting the engine capacity to 1600cc and power requirements means going for the TC conti makes but will be a much smaller vehicle.

u shouldnt get a car if your mileage less than 10k a year..

u put your car stationary and look beautiful only ah? haha

less than 10k = less than 1k travelled a month..

oh must be the Auntie travelling to market or sending kids to school only.

grabtaxi or uber more suitable for you seriously.

Edited by Rayoflight
  • Praise 2

from what TS defined criteria the most close option only Conti TC cars (small engine with high horse power and high price),

in the market Audi A3 and Ford Kuga 1.5T is the best option

↡ Advertisement