Man Dies After Crash Through Glass Bathroom Door

Watwheels

Wow. what a way to go. Perhaps he died a happy man.

Boys & girls do not do this at home, okay?

Man shower with gf....slipped and fell through glass bathroom door...didn't survive. RIP

For those with glass bathroom door change them to acrylic or tempered glass . Safer....if you want to piak piak in the shower also safer.

http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore-news/man-dies-after-crash-through-glass-bathroom-door

Sep 29, 2015 6:00am

By SHAFFIQ ALKHATIB

He slipped, smashed his head through the glass panel of a bathroom door and later died.

Sebastian Wong Yu Lun was only 24 when he died in the most horrific way on Jan 25, in front of a frantic girlfriend who was helpless to save him.

Details of the tragedy emerged in a inquiry into his death yesterday.

When Mr Wong hit the glass panel, the sharp broken edges impaled his neck. He also had multiple cuts on his head.

Mr Wong, a car salesman, had been taking a shower with his girlfriend, identified only as Ms L, at her flat at Teban Gardens Road. As Mr Wong was about to leave the shower, he slipped.

Ms L was shocked to hear the glass panel shatter and frantically tried to free Mr Wong when she realised he was injured and trapped.

Her sister, who was not named in court papers, called emergency services as Ms L fought to free her boyfriend. After a struggle, she managed to free him and he fell flat on his back.

He was still conscious but struggling as she propped him into a sitting position.

She dressed herself and used a towel to suppress the bleeding.

State Coroner Marvin Bay said: "She noted, however, that Mr Wong stopped his struggles and appeared to lose consciousness after five minutes, lying unconscious on the floor.

"Ms L tried to perform CPR by giving chest compressions in accordance with instructions by an SCDF (Singapore Civil Defence Force) operator through the phone and relayed by her sister."

WEAK PULSE

A paramedic who had arrived at the scene detected a weak pulse and the ambulance took Mr Wong to hospital, but he could not be saved.

He was pronounced dead about 40 minutes after the accident.Mr Wong had suffered multiple incised wounds to the head and neck, said consultant forensic pathologist Marian Wang, which led to his death.

She also said that Mr Wong died of multiple incised wounds to the head and neck.

Coroner Bay said: "The nature of the incised wounds was found to be consistent with those caused by sharp, broken glass fragments."

He found that Mr Wong had died from an "unfortunate misadventure".

Following the tragedy, senior forensic scientist Li Yuhua from the Forensic Chemistry and Physics Laboratory of the Health Sciences Authority, produced a report on the analysis of the glass fracture.

It revealed that the panel was not made of tempered glass.

Instead, Coroner Bay said that it was likely to be made of heat-strengthened glass.

In his findings, he added that it may be prudent to use tempered glass panels on doors or windows in places where falls may commonly occur.

He said: "Tempered glass fragments are less likely to have sharp edges (when broken), which may help to avoid the occurrence of catastrophic or even fatal injuries, upon any person breaking or shattering glass fixtures."

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic

Wow. what a way to go. Perhaps he died a happy man.

Boys & girls do not do this at home, okay?

Man shower with gf....slipped and fell through glass bathroom door...didn't survive. RIP

For those with glass bathroom door change them to acrylic or tempered glass . Safer....if you want to piak piak in the shower also safer.

I wouldn't say the same for the gf. Going to be haunted with images of the incident for the rest of her life. [:/] [:/]

:a-rip: to the young man.

I think it's better to check whether your bathroom glass door is tempered glass or not especially for those who have children.

• Praise 1

I think it's better to check whether your bathroom glass door is tempered glass or not especially for those who have children.

Also whether the tiles are anti-slip types or not...

RIP to the young man .... and hopefully his gf can move on after this horrible episode...

Scary, I think it's best to leave it the traditional bathroom way, not really necessary to do up an enclosed area for bathing

For those who has such glass area, good to change them for safety reasons

Thanks for sharing TS

Turbocharged

Scary, I think it's best to leave it the traditional bathroom way, not really necessary to do up an enclosed area for bathing

For those who has such glass area, good to change them for safety reasons

Thanks for sharing TS

put some bath mat in the toilet also. right from my shower door there is a shower mat (those water absorbing ones). at least your feet will be dry. my shower itself has those non-slip strips inside as well (installed by the developer i suppose, as wasnt done by me)

A lot of common sense has been thrown out of the windows in the name of upgrading and whatsnot.

Do we need tiled floor on the void deck, lift landing area and covered walkways?

anyone knows if there is a anti-slip compound whereby we can apply and leave on?

Yeah, my toilet is full of slippery ceramic tiles. Have already lost footing a few times even though I did not fall. WIfe landed on her bum also. Currently we used a combination of some mats and stickers, but would like to spray the whole floor and do away with them.

IIRC years back, there's one guy who "invented" and marketed this floor tile treatment. But went bust due to massive claims.

anyone knows if there is a anti-slip compound whereby we can apply and leave on?

Yeah, my toilet is full of slippery ceramic tiles. Have already lost footing a few times even though I did not fall. WIfe landed on her bum also. Currently we used a combination of some mats and stickers, but would like to spray the whole floor and do away with them.

Yes, some tile shop or larger DIY store sells it.

Now-a-days all the new condo's have glass doors everywhere ; gone are the days of the upvc doors (of course wooden doors have a problem of moisture) and prone to rotting and with "mickey mouse" apts and small condo's everywhere now ; Even my Mums place kenna enbloc she went to see some new condo's in the vicinity and she said she will be banging into them as sight becomes bad too over and reflexes not good too, with old age and even if she hits against those pvc doors its not so bad, as they are hollow in the centre ; kenna glass one is quite painful as they are hard; Especially so now that people are living to way above 80+++

http://list.qoo10.sg/item/3M-SAFETY-WALK-ANTI-SLIP-FLOOR/407279058

There are 3M anti-slip stickers available. Just stick them strategically on the toilet floor.

put some bath mat in the toilet also. right from my shower door there is a shower mat (those water absorbing ones). at least your feet will be dry. my shower itself has those non-slip strips inside as well (installed by the developer i suppose, as wasnt done by me)

Yeah that's a good idea

Those with new homes or doing renovation can choose those anti slip tiles, nowadays technology is much more advanced

Oh by the way better alert @staff69 since he is doing Reno now and he has intentions to bath bath with his dream girl in the bath room [laugh]

Now that this situation has happened I checked and found that all the glass doors have this logo with words tempered on them ; I hope they are safe in the first place

↡ Advertisement