Looking for that Perfect Car...

Luvalive

Hello everyone,

My car is going to expire in approximately one year and I thought that I should start narrowing down my search for that new/pre-loved car.

This is where I will enlist all of your collective wisdom in the search for that perfect car, please find my criteria as follows.

1. Any age
  2. Prefers Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Nissan and newer Kia vehicles but open to trying other brands
  3. Car type: SUV, or sporty-looking MPV, or better-still 7-seater SUV
  4. At least 2L for NA engines, no preference for Turbo; automatic transmission
  5. Rear air con
  6. Sunroof or Moonroof or Panoramic Roof
  7. Automatic headlights and/or wipers
  8. Keyless entry and/or start
  9. Spacious 2nd row and huge boot
  10. Automatic sliding doors (least important)

Appreciate your inputs and sharing, best is if you have first-hand experience! Would love to hear about the drive, fuel economy, reliability, and other pros and cons.

Thank you in advance! [laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

KIA Sorento?

New Ford S-Max should be arriving soon, that might be a perfect choice.

Edited by 7hm
  • Praise 3

Yep ... I think the SMax maybe a reasonable alternative. I am anticipating that arrival!

To be honest I think I may have the same requirements as you and have been looking around for a MPV vs a 7 seater SUV.

KIA: Sorento was a definite choice but the 3rd row was disappointing; Carens was small and again a narrow 3rd row

Mazda: Old models which have not changed since 1980s (I am exaggerating!) though the Mazda 5 is very attractive in terms of pricing and engine

Toyota: Wish too small and dated; Estima/Previa dated: Alphard out of my price range

Nissan: Elgrand difficulty parking in HDB MSCP; X-Trail is a 5+2

Honda: Ody seems the best option amongst all the MPV's

IMHO

Happy to hear owners' point of view.

KIA Sorento?

• Praise 2

Hmmm

Requirements sounds similar to mine.

I'm looking at x-trails actually.

If don't need 7 seat then forester is also a decent choice

Tuscan very nice. But sibei over priced

• Praise 2

Open to PI cars? Toyota triples, Honda Stepwagon and Nissan Serena seems to fit the bill.

Edit: Didn't see the "sporty looking" MPV part. But do consider those if your concern is with space and carry 6-7 people.

Edited by Limweeli
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

Wow, S-Max really does look like a sporty MPV. Wonder how long it'll take to arrive? It's been on the "Coming Soon" banner for yonks.

SMAX_MoondustSilver_Front_0001.jpg

• Praise 3

since you are open to both new and 2nd hand (criteria :any age), there's actually tons of SUV out there for you to choose from.

perhaps you can have an additional criteria on depreciation/year. that will surely help you to narrow down to only a handful to consider.

• Praise 1

2016 is coming... looking forward to the new range of HONDA's model mate with Vtec turbo.

lets take a look at the new Honda spade step wagon. 1.5 turbo, & rear aircon the FC is great.

• Praise 3

I presume the need for a 7-seater is to ferry your loved ones.

If that is the case, I would put 5-star NCAP rating as one of the critical criterias. Anything less, dun even bother.

• Praise 2

KIA Sorento?

Kia Sorento looks awesome! Plus it has all the bells and whistles, although the badge may not be appealing to some.

I read somewhere that the car is quite heavy on petrol consumption, wonder if it's true?

Yep ... I think the SMax maybe a reasonable alternative. I am anticipating that arrival!

To be honest I think I may have the same requirements as you and have been looking around for a MPV vs a 7 seater SUV.

KIA: Sorento was a definite choice but the 3rd row was disappointing; Carens was small and again a narrow 3rd row

Mazda: Old models which have not changed since 1980s (I am exaggerating!) though the Mazda 5 is very attractive in terms of pricing and engine

Toyota: Wish too small and dated; Estima/Previa dated: Alphard out of my price range

Nissan: Elgrand difficulty parking in HDB MSCP; X-Trail is a 5+2

Honda: Ody seems the best option amongst all the MPV's

IMHO

Happy to hear owners' point of view.

Thanks for your detailed analysis!

Haven't really seen the Sorento yet but so far the car seems promising. Wonders about the fuel consumption.

Mazda 5 is abit too small, I am not considering Wish / Stream kind of size at the moment.

Yeah Estima is not bad but abit too expensive for my liking.

Love the new X-trail. Will find out more about Elgrand.

I also agree Ody seems like the most obvious choice so far. [laugh]

Hmmm

Requirements sounds similar to mine.

I'm looking at x-trails actually.

If don't need 7 seat then forester is also a decent choice

Tuscan very nice. But sibei over priced

Yeah I second the new X-trail! Not sure about the drive.

I was at Ngee Ann City earlier and had some private moments with the Forester and also Outback. Forester has grown up alot and is more likeable now than the past especially with its huge sunroof but somehow something is still lacking. Maybe subconsciously I don't like Subarus.

New Tuscon abit too much chrome leh.

Wow, S-Max really does look like a sporty MPV. Wonder how long it'll take to arrive? It's been on the "Coming Soon" banner for yonks.

SMAX_MoondustSilver_Front_0001.jpg

Seems like a little heavy on the chrome, would love to see the car in the flesh since there are so many recommendations!

since you are open to both new and 2nd hand (criteria :any age), there's actually tons of SUV out there for you to choose from.

perhaps you can have an additional criteria on depreciation/year. that will surely help you to narrow down to only a handful to consider.

Good idea! Let's start with below $17k depreciation!

I presume the need for a 7-seater is to ferry your loved ones.

If that is the case, I would put 5-star NCAP rating as one of the critical criterias. Anything less, dun even bother.

Correct me if I am wrong, most Jap makes do not have NCAP rating?

Speaking of which, the first generation XC90 seems like a great car! Anyone has anything to share about its reliability and fuel consumption?

• Praise 1

So far I have got the following inputs, let me put it down in point form for easier reference...

• Kia Sorento
  • Ford S-Max
  • Hyundai Sante Fe
  • Toyota Estima
  • Nissan Elgrand
  • Honda Odyssey
  • Nissan X-trail

In my mind, I also have the following considerations.

• Toyota Fortuner
  • Volvo XC90

Actually 7-seats quite important to me la, but I don't want to lose the sportiness. Truth be told, I am 29 years old and don't want to be driving an 'uncle' car. [grin]

Turbocharged
Seems like a little heavy on the chrome, would love to see the car in the flesh since there are so many recommendations!

The chrome content is similar to the Mondeo... check that out in the showroom for an idea if it's too much for you.

Mainly the grille (that's a lot of chrome right there, admittedly) and beltline (window frames), that's about it. Other garnishes include rear exhaust trim (not sure about S-Max) and foglamp bezel rings.

Can always plastidip it.

• Toyota Fortuner
  • Volvo XC90

Oho, if XC90 can liao, then that's probably cannot go wrong... that one already more ex than most other options here liao.

Just that the old XC90 got some unker feel.

Other 'funky' choice for MPV is the Citroen Grand Picasso... but that one French so reliability will always be a question. At least the gearbox now is a Japanese 6-speed auto.

But the design so space-age, confirm no unkerness.

Edited by 7hm

So far I have got the following inputs, let me put it down in point form for easier reference...

• Kia Sorento
  • Ford S-Max
  • Hyundai Sante Fe
  • Toyota Estima
  • Nissan Elgrand
  • Honda Odyssey
  • Nissan X-trail

In my mind, I also have the following considerations.

• Toyota Fortuner
  • Volvo XC90

Actually 7-seats quite important to me la, but I don't want to lose the sportiness. Truth be told, I am 29 years old and don't want to be driving an 'uncle' car. [grin]

wah. 29yr old can afford xc90. you sibei good bro.

The chrome content is similar to the Mondeo... check that out in the showroom for an idea if it's too much for you.

Mainly the grille (that's a lot of chrome right there, admittedly) and beltline (window frames), that's about it. Other garnishes include rear exhaust trim (not sure about S-Max) and foglamp bezel rings.

Can always plastidip it.

Oho, if XC90 can liao, then that's probably cannot go wrong... that one already more ex than most other options here liao.

Just that the old XC90 got some unker feel.

Other 'funky' choice for MPV is the Citroen Grand Picasso... but that one French so reliability will always be a question. At least the gearbox now is a Japanese 6-speed auto.

But the design so space-age, confirm no unkerness.

What is plastidip? Paste black sticker over the chrome parts?

Didn't know Citroen uses Jap 6-speed! But wary of the French's reliability la!

wah. 29yr old can afford xc90. you sibei good bro.

Sorry don't be mistaken, I'm looking at first-gen XC90 la. Can afford new one maybe will go for Macan liao, small never mind. [laugh][laugh]

1st gen XC90 is a tank.....and guzzles like one. It does abt 5km/L on average in city driving and the 2.5T is underpowered for such a beast. The market has moved on and there are much better (and cheaper) SUVs out there.

• Praise 2