Evo Owners

VellfireS

Good day brothers and sisters.. 

It's been long since I last appeared here in MCF.. I'm just curious.. Just got a white EVO 9 GSR not too long ago.. Just renewed COE for it.. Any other EVO owners around here in MCF? Will be nice to learn from you guys..  [laugh]  [laugh]  [;)]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

Turbocharged

Good day brothers and sisters.. 

It's been long since I last appeared here in MCF.. I'm just curious.. Just got a white EVO 9 GSR not too long ago.. Just renewed COE for it.. Any other EVO owners around here in MCF? Will be nice to learn from you guys..  [laugh]  [laugh]  [;)]

you sir, have joined the ranks of a breed threatened with extinction... enjoy that ride!!! [inlove]

Just acquired one myself. Intend to renew COE very soon. My (realistic) dream car for more than 7 years. Managed to find one which was almost completely stock (except for the air intake and ECU reflash) and in beautifully well-kept condition for its age. Intend to keep it for as long as I'm able to drive and maintain a car.

As long as it suits your lifestyle, that's a very good choice you made!

Edited by Bicolor
  • Praise 2

Hi, I am another new owner of an old Evo IX. Bought a red GT in September and renewed COE on it last week.

I did the sums against what I could buy new in the showrooms and couldn't find anything close for the same outlay. Most importantly, there were very few options for manuals.

So far I am enjoying it - spent some money to change the fluids as with any used car, did some aesthetic cleaning up, and it returns 8.1-8.3 km per litre, which is a lot more than my old car, but considering the power available, is probably a good trade. Although, I have gotten caught out by turbo lag a few times already!

I tried registering on the local Evo forum sgevoclub.com but haven't been able to get verified. Anyone can help? I am looking for a set of owner's manuals as my car somehow didn't come with any.

Here's a picture of my car:

post-166204-0-77712300-1448201626_thumb.jpg

• Praise 13

Beautiful car! Glad to see that quite a few Evo IX's are being given a new lease of life instead of forced into "early retirement" in this place where people think a 10 year old car is ancient.

I remember I had to wait quite some time before someone activated my account in sgevoclub.com too. That forum is really quiet these days though. I only check in to find parts for sale or to browse old posts for information.

I have the owner's manual, but in Japanese. Guess mine was a parallel import. Have you tried contacting Cycle and Carriage's spare parts department? They might be able to order one for you.

Hi, I am another new owner of an old Evo IX. Bought a red GT in September and renewed COE on it last week.

I did the sums against what I could buy new in the showrooms and couldn't find anything close for the same outlay. Most importantly, there were very few options for manuals.

So far I am enjoying it - spent some money to change the fluids as with any used car, did some aesthetic cleaning up, and it returns 8.1-8.3 km per litre, which is a lot more than my old car, but considering the power available, is probably a good trade. Although, I have gotten caught out by turbo lag a few times already!

I tried registering on the local Evo forum sgevoclub.com but haven't been able to get verified. Anyone can help? I am looking for a set of owner's manuals as my car somehow didn't come with any.

Beautiful car! Glad to see that quite a few Evo IX's are being given a new lease of life instead of forced into "early retirement" in this place where people think a 10 year old car is ancient.

I remember I had to wait quite some time before someone activated my account in sgevoclub.com too. That forum is really quiet these days though. I only check in to find parts for sale or to browse old posts for information.

I have the owner's manual, but in Japanese. Guess mine was a parallel import. Have you tried contacting Cycle and Carriage's spare parts department? They might be able to order one for you.

If your car still wears its original registration, you might be able to enquire with C&C if they have your service records (to know if it is a PI car or not). I checked with C&C with regard to spare parts - they literally have nothing that is bespoke to the CT9A, only some generic parts shared with the regular Lancers.

Very nice !!

Very true on what you said... 4 door sedan for practicality and the drive is just sooooo awesome...

Very nice !!

Thanks! Glad you like it, its a good thing that it is nice, because I intend to keep it stock in its original condition. It doesn't even have a turbo timer, let alone any aftermarket gauge. I'm probably not going to be very useful as a mod resource. [;)]

Edited by R32

you sir, have joined the ranks of a breed threatened with extinction... enjoy that ride!!! [inlove]

hahahah,, thanks man.. it's a wonderful car.. definitely looking forward to more years with it..  :wub:

i would want one too.

such classic, and i would say its even more handsome than  evo X.

true boss.. one of the main reasons why i didn't get the evo x

same boss.. sgevoclub now like totally off.. went in to look for gearbox.. my gearbox starting to give problems.. suspect its the gear synchro.. standard problem for the 6 speed.. :(

hahahah,, thanks man.. it's a wonderful car.. definitely looking forward to more years with it..  :wub:

true boss.. one of the main reasons why i didn't get the evo x

same boss.. sgevoclub now like totally off.. went in to look for gearbox.. my gearbox starting to give problems.. suspect its the gear synchro.. standard problem for the 6 speed.. :(

What's the problem with your gearbox so far? Crunching when engaging certain gears, or hard to go in at all when cold?

The Evo 8 and 9 6 speed gearbox is known to be less robust compared to the 5 speed model. But if the car isn't modded too heavily, it shouldn't die so quickly either. If you just took over the car recently, unless you know the past history and have all servicing records,  it might be best to do a change of the gearbox oil (use ONLY the standard Mitsubishi product, not aftermarket versions), ACD transfer case fluid and bleeding of the AYC fluid. It should improve somewhat if your gearbox isn't that far gone yet.

Ironically, I shift far more slowly and delicately with the Evo than with most other manual cars I've owned or driven in the past, because I have heard too many stories of how delicate the 6 speed gearbox is! My friends are always teasing me for buying such a car and then granny-shifting it (and keeping strictly to speed limits), but I don't really care because I like the car for its looks, the overall driving feel and the occasional hard pull, and I'm contented to keep it that way.

Edited by Bicolor

If your car still wears its original registration, you might be able to enquire with C&C if they have your service records (to know if it is a PI car or not). I checked with C&C with regard to spare parts - they literally have nothing that is bespoke to the CT9A, only some generic parts shared with the regular Lancers.

Mine no longer has its original registration, but ever checked with C&C while trying to get an exhaust cert for a second hand Ralliart exhaust I bought (eventually couldn't, since Ralliart Pit closed down), and was told that mine is a PI car. Anyway, mine has a sunroof - not too sure of this but I seem to recall that C&C didn't bring in the sunroof model.

Ironically, I shift far more slowly and delicately with the Evo than with most other manual cars I've owned or driven in the past, because I have heard too many stories of how delicate the 6 speed gearbox is! My friends are always teasing me for buying such a car and then granny-shifting it (and keeping strictly to speed limits), but I don't really care because I like the car for its looks, the overall driving feel and the occasional hard pull, and I'm contented to keep it that way.

I recently saw another red Evo MR RS with a two-digit registration 60 doing 90 on the AYE, that wouldn't happen to be you would it?

I recently saw another red Evo MR RS with a two-digit registration 60 doing 90 on the AYE, that wouldn't happen to be you would it?

No, mine's fully yellow at the moment. No carbon fibre or black bonnet or boot.

Nice - has anyone tried to flag you down like a taxi yet? I pulled up into an office building drop off and a woman tried to flag me down before she realized I wasn't quite a TransCab taxi!

Nice - has anyone tried to flag you down like a taxi yet? I pulled up into an office building drop off and a woman tried to flag me down before she realized I wasn't quite a TransCab taxi!

Haha, now that you mention it, not with the Evo so far. Happened to me once, though, when my I borrowed my friend's Honda Stream which happened to be painted red. A family in my estate tried to flag me down from far before realizing their mistake and turning their attention to a real taxi!

What's the problem with your gearbox so far? Crunching when engaging certain gears, or hard to go in at all when cold?

The Evo 8 and 9 6 speed gearbox is known to be less robust compared to the 5 speed model. But if the car isn't modded too heavily, it shouldn't die so quickly either. If you just took over the car recently, unless you know the past history and have all servicing records,  it might be best to do a change of the gearbox oil (use ONLY the standard Mitsubishi product, not aftermarket versions), ACD transfer case fluid and bleeding of the AYC fluid. It should improve somewhat if your gearbox isn't that far gone yet.

I wished i got the evo 8 years plus ago but it was a little out of my budget... So i got the scooby alt. Which i am keeping for another 10yrs. 

Replacement gear box shouldnt be too hard to find or expensive just have to hunt around. I converted mine to six speed and upgraded brakes. Other than that everything is in great condition. Oh do check your radiator and intercoolers and all the rubbers hoses. 

↡ Advertisement