Batam-Singapore ferry hits floating object

Adrianli

Nearly 100 rescued after Batam-Singapore ferry hits floating object All 97 passengers on board, including 51 Singaporeans and seven crew members, are safe and accounted for, according to the Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore.

POSTED: 30 Nov 2015 01:39

UPDATED: 30 Nov 2015 06:51

singapore-batam-488394.jpg
File photo of passengers boarding the ferry along the Harbour Front in Singapore before heading to Indonesia's nearby Batam island. (AFP Photo/Roslan Rahman)

SINGAPORE: Nearly 100 people were rescued after their ferry heading to Singapore from the Indonesian island of Batam hit a floating object on Sunday night (Nov 29).

The Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA) said it received a report at about 9.45pm that an Indonesia-registered ferry “Sea Prince” had hit a floating object after leaving the Nongsapura ferry terminal in Batam.

It said at the time of the incident, the ferry was in Indonesian waters and heading towards Singapore with 97 passengers, including 51 Singaporeans and seven crew.

The ferry operator, Batamfast, immediately activated two ferries to transfer all the passengers to the Nongsapura ferry terminal. All the passengers are accounted for and the ferry is in a stable condition, MPA said.

One of the passengers, Ms Chella Ho, who was travelling with two other friends, told Channel NewsAsia that the ferry sank slowly in deep waters halfway between Batam and Singapore.

She said the ferry operator launched two inflatable boats from the ferry for the passengers, but both inflatable boats also sank due to the overload. All the passengers wore life-saving jackets. 

Ms Ho said some nearby vessels immediately came to their rescue and all passengers were saved. She said all passengers later arrived at Singapore’s Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal safely. 

- CNA/de

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/nearly-100-rescued-after/2304342.html?cx_tag=undefined&cid=tg:recos:undefined:standard#cxrecs_s

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

What kind of floating object big enough to cause problem to ferry?

Many kind. Tree trunks/logs, oil barrels, dead whale, buoy, etc...........

pretty scary. the inflatable life raft overloaded also and sank.

Lucky the rescue ferries were nearby.

I think cos too many ppl in the liferaft. They only launch two liferafts for 100 ppl. The crew forget about basic seamanship. If too many, the rest should just hang by the side of the liferaft.

By law, SOLAS, there should be double the capacity of liferaft to the number of passengers.

• Praise 3

Nearly 100 rescued after Batam-Singapore ferry hits floating object All 97 passengers on board, including 51 Singaporeans and seven crew members, are safe and accounted for, according to the Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore.

• POSTED: 30 Nov 2015 01:39
  • UPDATED: 30 Nov 2015 06:51
singapore-batam-488394.jpg File photo of passengers boarding the ferry along the Harbour Front in Singapore before heading to Indonesia's nearby Batam island. (AFP Photo/Roslan Rahman)
  •  
  • Email
  • More

SINGAPORE: Nearly 100 people were rescued after their ferry heading to Singapore from the Indonesian island of Batam hit a floating object on Sunday night (Nov 29).

The Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA) said it received a report at about 9.45pm that an Indonesia-registered ferry “Sea Prince” had hit a floating object after leaving the Nongsapura ferry terminal in Batam.

It said at the time of the incident, the ferry was in Indonesian waters and heading towards Singapore with 97 passengers, including 51 Singaporeans and seven crew.

The ferry operator, Batamfast, immediately activated two ferries to transfer all the passengers to the Nongsapura ferry terminal. All the passengers are accounted for and the ferry is in a stable condition, MPA said.

One of the passengers, Ms Chella Ho, who was travelling with two other friends, told Channel NewsAsia that the ferry sank slowly in deep waters halfway between Batam and Singapore.

She said the ferry operator launched two inflatable boats from the ferry for the passengers, but both inflatable boats also sank due to the overload. All the passengers wore life-saving jackets. 

Ms Ho said some nearby vessels immediately came to their rescue and all passengers were saved. She said all passengers later arrived at Singapore’s Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal safely. 

- CNA/de

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/nearly-100-rescued-after/2304342.html?cx_tag=undefined&cid=tg:recos:undefined:standard#cxrecs_s

Too dark, and cannot see? Floating object... maybe a beacon?

Luckily, no capsizing and no drowning ... all safe :)

• Praise 1

I think cos too many ppl in the liferaft. They only launch two liferafts for 100 ppl. The crew forget about basic seamanship. If too many, the rest should just hang by the side of the liferaft.

By law, SOLAS, there should be double the capacity of liferaft to the number of passengers.

Ya bro.. I think i saw the ferries have 4-6 inflatable liferafts,, perhaps in the chaos, the crew managed to release 2 only.. not enough seamanship skills here I think... no wonder the 2 liferafts sank too, as no control by the crew on the rafts... think the passengers panicked and all wanted to scramble on board the rafts... all ended up in the sea... but the batam-singapore route has many boats going thru, so there shld be many boats ard to rescue.. 

As for the object to sink this big fast ferry, must have been a big log or even container washed overboard to punch a hole in the hull to cause it to sink....

• Praise 1

I read it didn't sink, just that the ferry company panic and sent 2 floating boat to 'rescue' the passengers end up the 2 boats sunk [laugh]

• Praise 1

One of the passenger's experience

Excuse me. I'm one of the victims onboard of the disastrous ferry. When the accident happened, the captain had no idea what to do. And there was no crew to demonstrate to us passenger on how to put on the life vest. I had to demonstrate to everyone onboard in my seats section. 2 ferries did came, but they were at least 400 or more away from the mishap ferry. All they did was to shine their light and thats it. 2 inflatable life rafts was deployed. The first one had water seeping in, deflated and was over loaded with victims. and it sank. Leaving those victims struggling to keep afloat on the dark water. Mind you there were 2 babies on board of that life raft. A Nearby fishing boat and sampan came to their rescue. But they can't go keep their boat close to the ferry enough to save the victims in the water. Thus those left behind victims including me in the ferry helped to keep the boat near to the ferry by pulling the ropes which was tied to their boat thru main entrance door. I was informed there were 2 RSAF ship awaiting at the boarder of the water line dividing Indonesia and Singapore. All the captain of the ferry needed to do was to just fire the SOS flare and they will come over to rescue. I confronted the captain and asked him why won't he fire the flare. All he said to me in melayu was: "cannot, I don't want and I don't know!" Is that acceptable? And the captain cockpit was found full of alcohol stench and the captain actually vomited. What a joke. 2nd raft was deployed after the passengers on the sunken raft were rescued. 2nd raft was use to evacuate the remaining passengers onboard including me. But to our dismay, the 2nd raft was also found to have water seeping in and slowly deflating. And the sampan which towed our life raft was traveling at very slow speed and the engine just died off. We were floating with the raft until the same fisherman boat came to our rescue.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1