Singapore Falls Behind In World Giving Index

Picnic06-Biante15

Singapore laps behind Malaysia in giving.......  or I should say "donations" ... :slow:

Yahoo : Singapore behind Malaysia, Thailand, while Myanmar tops World Giving Index

Singapore may be on top of many indexes, but when it comes to charity and giving, we don't fare so well.

Singapore ranks at number 34 out of 145 on the World Giving Index this year, behind neighbouring countries like Malaysia, at 10th spot, and Thailand, at number 19.

Myanmar, one of the least developed countries in Asean, is number one in the The Charities Aid Foundation's (CAF) sixth World Giving Index, holding the position for the second year running.

According to the report, the generosity of Myanmarese people could be attributed to Theravada Buddhism, as charitable giving is integral to the religious observance.

The index measures three kinds of generosity, namely the giving of money, time, and helping a stranger.

On the ‘helping a stranger’ table, which asks if a person has helped a stranger in the last month, Singapore is at number 89.

However, Singapore ranks much higher up on the ‘donating money’ table at number 18, just below Malaysia at number 17.

On the ‘volunteering time’ table, Singapore stands at number 42.

d28989b0-9713-11e5-a410-1d85deac2b14_wor

To summarise the index findings, CAF chief executive John Low said, “It is heartening to see that even during these times of economic uncertainty across the word, people are increasingly likely to donate money to causes that help others.”

He added that it was humbling to see countries which have suffered adversity continue to score highly on the index.

Singapore Red Cross secretary general and chief executive officer Benjamin William told Yahoo Singapore there has actually been an

increasing trend of people volunteering in Singapore.

“Many individuals and families are struggling to make ends meet, as well as coping with social and physical challenges such as chronic

illnesses, disabilities, or family tragedies… we hope that Singaporeans will not forget these vulnerable people amongst us, and also channel their generosity and compassion to support the humanitarian services aimed at helping this group,” he said.

William said Singapore continues to be generous and forthcoming in responding to good causes, such as helping communities affected by natural disasters.

“Generally, donors are very supportive of organisations when they can identify with and relate to the cause,” he added.

The World Giving Index was conducted on the Gallup methodology, where 1,000 questionnaires were completed by a representative sample of individuals living across a country.

In larger countries, samples of at least 2,000 are collected.

Link : https://sg.news.yahoo.com/singapore-behind-malaysia--thailand--while-myanmar-tops-world-giving-index-033727351.html

After the 'Huang Na' , 'Changi Airport Cleaner' and NKF cases, who wants to burnt their fingers again ... :omg:

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Those who wants to donate can pass their money to me :grin:

Come come don't be shy :XD:

You need money for what ? :slow:

Banana ai mai ... [sly]

So your avatar can suck whole year round ... :grin:

Edited by Picnic06

You need money for what ? :slow:

Banana ai mai ... [sly]

So your avatar can suck whole year round ... :grin:

Got people don't need money one meh? :huh:

My avatar already sucking for many years liao :XD:

• Praise 2

Like that say not fair wor...I give a lot more when I go Malaysia. They count under Singapore or Malaysia? 

Depending on the person receiving lor..... :serious-business:

Those KTV girls you gave too comes from PRC or Pinoy or Thai or Sweden,..... etc ..

Yes Myanmar deserve no. 1 spot

My Myanmar maid donated $500 to a local church sometime last year and subsequently $50 - $100 whenever she visit the church

I don't really understand their culture

Back home she's so poor when home got wash away whenever there's serious flood and she work so hard to help her 2 younger sibling to attend school

↡ Advertisement