Trustworthy PIs

Ravary

Neutral Newbie

Hi, any bros here got experience with PI? I've always bought from AD but for my next ride i'm considering PI as well. Is there anything that one needs to take note?

And also i realise the recommended selling price indicated here in sgcarmart can be quite different from the price listed by some of the PIs. Any idea why is that so?

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice. :D

↡ Advertisement

Hi, any bros here got experience with PI? I've always bought from AD but for my next ride i'm considering PI as well. Is there anything that one needs to take note?

And also i realise the recommended selling price indicated here in sgcarmart can be quite different from the price listed by some of the PIs. Any idea why is that so?

buy cars from PI not worried about ownership not being transferred, anyhow install programs and parts not installed properly.. and warranty issues(e.g when engine spoil blah blah, all not covered??), ask u place deposit, dealers suddenly run away, payment not settled properly etc???

http://www.tnp.sg/news/40-car-buyers-look-missing-dealer-showroom-showdown-worse-jover-chew

good luck ahh hahahaha!!

I drive a PI car... there's plenty of people who do... I got a good deal on mine... I didn't pay any deposit until I saw the car in his showroom. And the car hasn't turned out to be a lemon... personally, I won't mind going back to that same PI if he had a good deal like before... If interested, PM me and I'll share his name.

But there's been plenty of horror stories about buying from PI. Best search this forum for good and bad news.

• Praise 1

One of those things to keep in mind is that a PI car will have issues on resale compared to an AD car. At the very least, you won't get as good a price, at worst, you may not be able to strike a deal.

The OMV doesn't matter a whole lot, so even if you have a higher OMV PI car (because of awesome specs) it may mean a lower resale price. 2nd hand dealers seem fixated on whether a car is AD or PI.

Not that it matters to those who drive their cars unto death (theirs or the cars', whichever comes first), but to those who like to change cars after a year or two, it might matter.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Thanks all for advice. So far i've never drive till scrap, usually drive till 7years or so then will look to change car.

So for PI cars no warranty? Lemon law protects buyer for how long?

All servicing to be done at own costs right?

• Praise 1

Thanks all for advice. So far i've never drive till scrap, usually drive till 7years or so then will look to change car.

So for PI cars no warranty? Lemon law protects buyer for how long?

All servicing to be done at own costs right?

u buy PI cars, and no drive till scrapped? like that the trade in value also not alot.. lol... PI cars omv not high to begin with.. u save money to buy PI cars, but when u want sell, the money u get back also not much...i still feel that buying from AD better.. got better warranty.. and not so much issues like ownership not transferred, warranty not covered, PI run away with money etc..

PI got warranty, but its not guaranteed... meaning PI can say they have warranty for 3 years, but when they close shop and run away at 2nd year, then good luck to u car..lol.. everything is not covered.. then if ownership not transferred, even worst, alot of probs.. lemon law protects buyers?? to certain extent only.. if not u see some PI run away with money, those people put deposit so? also cannot get back money..lol... the volks auto ... all servicing ahh, most likely ownself fork out... not like AD do everything nicely for u.. follow law by law...

basically , u buy PI cars, everyday headache n worry, dunno what may happen to ur warranty, car, money tomorrow.. u nvr see alot of people complain and blacklist PI dealers mehh? then need report case etc... waste money and time.... u go google.. that feeling... i rather fork out extra and go for AD...lol..

Edited by Fruit-tart

Neutral Newbie

So far i personally never set a deadline to change car. As long as more than 5-6yr old, and coe prices comfortable then will see to change. So if i were to buy a PI car next, i also not certain if i will drive 10yrs or not. At least for me, coe prices do make a big difference in making my decision to change car or not.

As for trade in value, or when the time comes to sell the PI car. I understand that resale value will be lower than AD car as mentioned above. But low also will have the 60% ARF + COE rebate + scrap value of the car (assuming 7.5yo car) right?

I think it depends on the model also. If you getting a fairly popular model that has a similar equivalent to what AD has, like Honda Fit, Vezel, or Toyota Wish, then maybe not so bad. Parts still can find, and it's popular enough to have some residual value.

But if you getting a PI-only model (e.g. Toyota Axio), then maybe might not be as favourable.

• Praise 2

I think it depends on the model also. If you getting a fairly popular model that has a similar equivalent to what AD has, like Honda Fit, Vezel, or Toyota Wish, then maybe not so bad. Parts still can find, and it's popular enough to have some residual value.

But if you getting a PI-only model (e.g. Toyota Axio), then maybe might not be as favourable.

What about Harrier ?

I find that there are a lot of risk buying from PIs and they do not give buyers a lot of confidence. If you are buying ready stock there will be less hassle of waiting for shipment. So if you are buying popular makes be ready to wait. Buying from small PIs is even riskier given that they can go bust or run road like that VolksAuto.

Other dan that there's the vehicle recall thing. Search for the "Takata Airbag" thread. Basically you are on your own as in buy the parts and replace w/o the help from your PI.

Dealing with the PI can also be tough. If their car got problem you might have to deal with the ppl at their appointed workshop. When it comes to car you cannot take for granted that it will be problem free.

• Praise 1

People go to PIs as they offer better price than AD, or in some cases AD does not carry the model.

IMO, both offer different options. Recently wifey got a bag from Reebonz, and it's cheaper by 30% from the boutique. So I ask her is she sure that it is authentic and she feel confident so I said go ahead. She is very happy with her bag since.

So it's similar. People buy things online scared of delivery and whether it's real or fake. Buy car from PI scared of warranty and delivery.

Its really tempting to get from PI as a difference of 20% margin translates to $20-40k difference. the price of C180 from cycle can get you a C200 if get from PI. From SGCM can see that the basic cost of $135k only. http://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/newcars_pricing.php?CarCode=11578. Speaking for myself I will not hesitate if the car got no warranty, servicing etc if I can get PI to import and pay $10k admin charge for it, ie total cost of $145k w/o any warranty. That's a buffer of more than $50k to make provision for repairs etc. Tons of workshops out there that are more than competent to service the car.

So at the end of the day, if you are savvy enough, you will know what to do. If not, stick to the AD will be better.

• Praise 2

Neutral Newbie

Some good advices here. Thanks all. [thumbsup]

Reason for me to consider PI is because of the car that i'm eyeing AD don't carry.

Any bros able to share names of reputable PIs? Can pm me please? Thanks in advance.

I'm also looking for a trustworthy PI. However, a trustworthy PI is like the Loch Ness monster. Some have heard of it, some claim to have seen it and some claim to have evidence of it. However, I'll believe it exists only if I see it.

• Praise 1

buying used cars from those dealers have not much diff from buying from PI.

But at leaSt PI offer u new car. so better buy from a reliable PI, not those turf city lot 12b type

↡ Advertisement