Car accident in Australia

Lala81

Hypersonic
(edited)

I suspect most likely the rear passengers are not belted up. Unless it's some massive impact to the rear or side of the vehicle. The driver and front passenger only minor injuries.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/5-singaporeans-injured-in/2821040.html

SINGAPORE: A collision between two cars in Australia left five Singaporeans injured, with two of them in a critical condition.

The accident occurred on Tuesday in Laharum, which is about 293km from Melbourne, in the Australian state of Victoria. The town is close to Grampians National Park, which is popular among tourists.

Victoria Police told Channel NewsAsia on Friday (May 27) that the five Singaporeans were travelling in one of the cars. Three women, all seated in the back of the vehicle, were taken to hospital. The male driver, aged 24, and a female passenger, aged 23, seated in the front of the vehicle escaped with minor injuries.

Two of the three women taken to hospital are in a critical condition, according to an online report from local newspaper Wimmera Mail-Times, which quoted a spokesperson from Ambulance Victoria.

One of them suffered from head, chest and spinal injuries and the other had head and leg injuries. Both were flown by air ambulance to hospitals in Melbourne, the report said.

The third woman suffered from neck and back injuries, and was taken to a hospital in the city of Horsham in a stable condition, according to the Mail-Times report.

The driver of the second vehicle, a 24-year-old woman, was uninjured, the Victoria Police spokesperson said.

"The investigation into the collision is ongoing and anyone who witnessed the incident is urged to contact Crime Stoppers," Victoria Police said. 

- CNA/dl

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Supersonic
(edited)

Many sgprean have limited experience with long distance driving because we are so used to driving on this small island. We at times forget to find rest area when get tired after long hours of driving. The other problem is when going on a long trip like interstate highway, we unknowingly or consciously driving at a higher speed that they are not so used to, it can be very dangerous when exceptions happen or when overtaking with a wrong judgement of speed and distance. Seat belt is important but we mcf folks should advocate safe and responsible driving behavior when travelling abroad.

I whish the 5 of them a speedy recovery.

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 6

Turbocharged

I wouldn't have felt secured if I was driven by a 23 yo driver in a foreign land. Drivers at this age have much less experience. Hope they recover well.

• Praise 3

Twincharged
(edited)

I wouldn't have felt secured if I was driven by a 23 yo driver in a foreign land. Drivers at this age have much less experience. Hope they recover well.

most youngsters now after passing take the car to sepang race track and then scrap the car ..

that was the trend a few months back..

not sure how true is it...

but then as the car is at the 9 year mark, I guess the parent also no love lost. So the driving exposure is exponentially increase. Just that sound rational decison on normal road becomes a false sense of confidence.

Edited by Sdf4786k

(edited)

wow... 4 girls 1 guy

but i guess yea, if all same age, prob those at back not belted up. 

last time i in drive in msia, told the girls in the back (other than no food in car) no belt up = no go.... raw is war

Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Praise 6

(edited)

When i was 22, i had driven from Gold Coast to Cairns in Ford Falcon.

I make sure that there are 2 drivers and we swap every 2 hours.

Edited by Davidtch

Hypersonic

maybe all youngsters.

Twincharged

Sometimes, no choice la. I also drove overseas when i was 19. Went for a few road trips in the US, Australia and China. Took turns to drive and all of us also around the same age. Lol. 

Need to slow down in foreign land, don't think see straight long road then chiong. Safety is important.

Hope they will have speedy recovery. One guy 4 girls hmmm

• Praise 1

Sometimes, no choice la. I also drove overseas when i was 19. Went for a few road trips in the US, Australia and China. Took turns to drive and all of us also around the same age. Lol.

thinking back we survive probably due to luck [sweatdrop]

Turbocharged

wow... 4 girls 1 guy

but i guess yea, if all same age, prob those at back not belted up. 

last time i in drive in msia, told the girls in the back (other than no food in car) no belt up = no go.... raw is war

Bro,

You mean no CD, no go, right? :D

Turbocharged

Driving requires full attention on the road. Get distracted for a few minutes, it could be you last.

I was driving in Tasmania recently. A car driven my a family (angmoh therefore could be local) overtook me on a dual way carriage. Although the other side was clear, he didn't drive back to his lane and continue on the wrong lane. I horn at him and slow down seeing cars coming head on at a distance. Luckily he managed to swing back in the very last second. All those cas that drove passed flashed at him.

It is simply a case of distraction. Best is someone sitting beside to help look out when driving very long distance.

• Praise 1

Belting up for rear passengers is mandatory in Australia. A pity the rear passengers didn't do so.

Anyway it's not only about the age of the driver. I wouldn't want to be driven on a road trip by a driver who has gotten his license for 10 yrs but rarely even drove during those 10yrs.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1