Vending machine cafe at Sengkang HDB estate

Jman888

What do you think of such concept?  personally i think is a flop.

First vending machine cafe launched at Sengkang HDB estate
PUBLISHED AUG 7, 2016,
Tiffany Fumiko Tay

SINGAPORE - A first of its kind vending machine "cafe" serving hot meals, sandwiches, snacks and drinks at all hours of the day was launched at the void deck of Block 320C Anchorvale Drive on Sunday (Aug 7).

Anchorvale's VendCafe, operated by JR Vending, is a cluster of six vending machines accompanied by stand-up dining tables.

Two Chef-In-Box machines dispense hot meals in under three minutes, offering Western and local fare such as seafood hor fun and spaghetti bolognese.

The roster of 30 meals will be rotated, and are priced between $3.50 and $5.

Meals can also be purchased frozen for later consumption.

Other machines sell freshly squeezed orange juice, hot beverages and grab-and-go items such as wraps and snacks.

The pilot project is jointly facilitated by Spring Singapore and the Housing Development Board (HDB). There are plans to roll out more VendCafes in the coming year, which may involve other operators.

Deputy Prime Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam launched the Anchorvale VendCafe on Sunday morning, and sampled Chef-in-Box's salted egg yolk pasta with shrimp.

Launch of Chef-in-Box vending machine

Mr Tharman, who is also Coordinating Minister for Economic and Social Policies, noted the current manpower shortage, particularly in the food and beverage sector.

"The F&B sector takes up almost five per cent of our total workforce, and it's still growing as a sector, but we can't keep growing manpower, in particular foreign manpower. So we have to find ways of using technology without compromising consumers' desire for taste, health, nutrition and convenience," he said.

"So this is one of the experiments, and it's very common in places like Japan, Taiwan and the UK."

Mr Tharman said that while it may take a while for consumers to take to the concept, they will become used to it once more VendCafes are deployed across the island.

Sengkang West MP and Minister of State for Health Lam Pin Min said that the area was perfect for Singapore's first VendCafe.

"Sengkang West is a very young estate, the oldest flat is only about 15 years old and there are many new BTO flats that are coming along. Over the years I've received feedback from residents that we need to have more amenities in the area, including coffee shops," said Dr Lam.

"But this is one of earliest precincts in Sengkang West, it is quite built up so it's not feasible to have another coffee shop nearby. Therefore, having the VendCafe in this area brilliant idea."

JR Group's chief executive officer Jocelyn Chng said that the town council will send someone to clean the area every morning, though JR staff will be educating residents on machine use and clean up as well.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

I've seen people eat the 7-11 rehydrated mashed potato and use their hot water to eat instant noodles.

But personally i won't bother.

Just walk a bit to the coffeeshop which is open like 16 hrs a day bah.

• Praise 3

huh just saw the location. The shell station already has a 24hr convenience stall and cross the main road 3mins walk is kopitiam square.

Terrible place to set up these type of vending machine cafes.

Edited by Lala81

there are many cafe's selling microwaved food anyways... personally.. for guys who eat those food... probably it would be a much cheaper option then eating those bah... 

huh just saw the location. The shell station already has a 24hr convenience stall and cross the main road 3mins walk is kopitiam square.

Terrible place to set up these type of vending machine cafes.

Wrong location and wrong target.

Also this is unlike 7-11 (where Taiwan/Japan?Korea which has better success), this unmanned void deck will soon become a mess. 

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

eat already, leave it on the table.

Wait for the rats, birds, cats and dogs to clear the rubbish

good luck to those residence staying that block.

• Praise 5

What do you think of such concept? personally i think is a flop.

We have so many convenience shops around as well as accessible coffee shops ...

Don't think this will work out well ...

Granted it's innovative, but looking at Singapore context, doesn't work well lah ....

I rather go to coffeeshop and sit down and eat or even aircon place to eat relaxingly :)

• Praise 3

Hypersonic

i still have 3 foc meals from the vending machines to collect...either seafood horfun or spaghetti bolo

will let you know how is the taste after i tried

:D

i still have 3 foc meals from the vending machines to collect...either seafood horfun or spaghetti bolo

will let you know how is the taste after i tried

3 meals how you finish? you can invite Pinobii to try with you   :D

too far for me

i peasant, make own milk tea or chinese tea at home

I agree that this might be a flop

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

3 meals how you finish? you can invite Pinobii to try with you   :D

3 meals but 3 kids + wifey to feed....i can only have access to the leftovers

wanna share leftovers together bo?

eat a little bit so can reach my target 55kg

• Praise 2

3 meals but 3 kids + wifey to feed....i can only have access to the leftovers

wanna share leftovers together bo?

eat a little bit so can reach my target 55kg

165 to 55 kg?

not trying to pour cold water....but need to WLL (like i waiting for you chia food) hor?

:XD:

• Praise 1

eat already, leave it on the table.

Wait for the rats, birds, cats and dogs to clear the rubbish

good luck to those residence staying that block.

well,

I am 1 of those staying that block.

the RC gals and the vendor rep did came over to survey us earlier in the year regarding this.

I did feedback that the worry would be noise and mess and that with 7/11 and shell station within walking distance, this might not be necessary. The RC gal said she will take note of our concern and we were presented with 2 sample of their food. From their reaction, I can see that no matter what I feedback, the kiosk is going ahead and this survey is actually just to formally inform us that the kiosk is going to be built whether I like it or not.

to be honest, with me moving out end of this year, I am not too bothered.

my wife, on the other hand like the idea a lot as she says she can just go down and pack lunch for my kids especially during rainy weather.

as for the food and price, I tasted the Italian bolognaise and it actually tasted ok, my wife like the seafood horfun.

with both of them going for $1 for a week, actual price about $4, its quite a bargain now.

the cold canned soft drinks are going for as low as 80 cents and its definitely cheaper than many of the other vending machine out there.

• Praise 11

This kinda concept of vending machine will only work in big country with limited eatery.  In Singapore, there are coffeeshops within walking distance and most of them operate to late night.    If this depend on business of someone that wanted to eat in the middle of the night.  Good luck to their business.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

with both of them going for $1 for a week, actual price about $4, its quite a bargain now.

the cold canned soft drinks are going for as low as 80 cents and its definitely cheaper than many of the other vending machine out there.

S$1? thats a steal.

sure sell out fast.

Turbocharged

In SG everywhere also can find food, now with all those deliveries and 24 deliveries, why need to eat food from a vending machine??...

The only vending machine food i ever eaten, was the toasted bread at KK hospital and NUH, both from the same vendor. Surprising tasted good...LOL

Edited by Nicfoo
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2