Sayonara Tamiya-san

therock

[bigcry]

One of the biggest pastimes of my childhood... not just the 1/35 models (unlike the 1/72 scale of Airfix), Tamiya was also responsible for the powered cars, with a remote control.

https://tamiyablog.com/2017/05/mr-masayuki-tamiya/

We are sad to be informed from Tamiya UK that the current president of Tamiya and son-in-law of Mr. Shunsaku Tamiya, Mr. Masayuki Tamiya, passed away at the age of 59 after a long battle with illness on May 1st, 2017.

Mr. Masayuki Tamiya had worked for the Tamiya company since 1990, since 2004 as Senior Executive Director and was handed over the presidency of the Tamiya company from Mr. Shunsaku Tamiya in 2008. He was a very enthusiastic modeller and ensured that the choice of subjects and the quality remained as good as ever.

At TamiyaBlog we would like to express our sincere and strong condolences to his family and the Tamiya Company.

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20170511-00000002-jct-soci

18342577_1730119947281412_60917692038858

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 10

Taaaaas miiiiiii yaaaaaaaa!!!!!

No money to buy :grin:

(Sing to transformer tune) :XD:

78cb8ba8ccc59ce560db25827023d261.jpg

1b22d4e1a24a45628b75f5ee19710086.jpg

https://youtu.be/IHoA3JiSgf8

30 years ago, you tell the teacher you play tamiya one, he will whoa!!!! Your Lao peh must be rich!!

Today you tell your teacher you play Tamiya one, straightaway he wil

Ask you to become prefect :grin:

• Praise 3

I can't recall when was the last time I bought a Tamiya kit. Don't have any in my stash as well. Using their acrylic paints only. Their military kit portfolio is boring compared to other brands, including the chinese ones. If they don't liven things up, the brand may be next to R.I.P.

Supersonic

[bigcry]

One of the biggest pastimes of my childhood... not just the 1/35 models (unlike the 1/72 scale of Airfix), Tamiya was also responsible for the powered cars, with a remote control.

https://tamiyablog.com/2017/05/mr-masayuki-tamiya/

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20170511-00000002-jct-soci

18342577_1730119947281412_60917692038858

Very sad. I've built both their scale models and played with so many of their RC buggies.

May I ask: why was his surname also Tamiya if he was the son-in-law to the elder Tamiya?

Very sad. I've built both their scale models and played with so many of their RC buggies.

May I ask: why was his surname also Tamiya if he was the son-in-law to the elder Tamiya?

I think his name can tell he like to play masa(k) masa(k) :grin:

So what better choice then to marry the daughter of the toy factory boss

Supersonic

I think his name can tell he like to play masa(k) masa(k) :grin:

So what better choice then to marry the daughter of the toy factory boss

I still don't understand. Japanese use the same patriarchal surname convention as most of the world right? Meaning you inherit the surname from father or husband?

I still don't understand. Japanese use the same patriarchal surname convention as most of the world right? Meaning you inherit the surname from father or husband?

No lah

I anyhow talking rubbish

Malay playing toy is masak masak

So tamiya like to play toy :XD:

His name masa

(edited)

Let's hope the brand will continue to grow and come out with new awesome toys in the future.

hard lah hard lah :(

Edited by Mustank
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

Love plastic modelling.... still have a full stash of Tamiya made-in-japan tools, paints, kits (mainly cars and a half completed armoured vehicle).

Nowadays a lot of $$ but no time... only during youth school holidays with no internet and gals can spend 2 weeks dedicated to building a model with full spray painting.

I used to spend $10 every year to buy their catalogue (yes it costs money to buy their "brochure").....

Love plastic modelling.... still have a full stash of Tamiya made-in-japan tools, paints, kits (mainly cars and a half completed armoured vehicle).

Nowadays a lot of $$ but no time... only during youth school holidays with no internet and gals can spend 2 weeks dedicated to building a model with full spray painting.

I used to spend $10 every year to buy their catalogue (yes it costs money to buy their "brochure").....

I regretted throwing away my stamp collection

I agree it was just a kiddo's collection

No big deal

But the stamps represented a different time

A time we can't go back

I bought my kid a Tamiya kit

But he has no interest

Ps3 ipad he very interested

• Praise 1

I regretted throwing away my stamp collection

I agree it was just a kiddo's collection

No big deal

But the stamps represented a different time

A time we can't go back

I bought my kid a Tamiya kit

But he has no interest

Ps3 ipad he very interested

Mustank, I also regret not throwing but giving away my stamp collection. I had many stamps from many countries including those rare Singapore stamps. My classmate in primary school sitting infront was crying like crazy. Don't know why. Then teacher announce that his father pass away. I tried to comfort him with words but no use, then I gave him my stamp collection book, hoping that would keep him occupied and not think so much of the sad event. If I kept it until today, it would be worth at least a few thousand of dollars but no regrets only hope it helped. I still collect stamps but not the modern stamps. The Straits Settlement and King George stamps. I given up on Stanley Gibbon in Singapore, over price and no standard as compared to those in UK. Teach your kid stamp collecting, it is a good rewarding hobby. Tamiya kit is also good for dexterity.  

• Praise 5

I actively took part in stamp competitions in Sec school.

Thematics they were called.

I gotta ask my mum if my stuff are still around. She was the one who encouraged me to take up this hobby.

I recall one year, we forgot to invite our VIP, and a couple of nights before the event, we ask Goh Chok Tong's son to ask his dad to come, and he did!

Those days, you literally picked up the phone and called his home.. 

When your alma calls, you come, big shot or not.. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2