New Fiat Panda

Normal_aspirated

I am fond of Italian car, and tot would like review the typical city drive fun car, taken from http://www.carsfromitaly.com/fiat/index.html . Here goes:

The New Panda (known as the Gingo before launch, or 169 internally) is the car which takes Fiat back to its roots. A versatile, practical and stylish small car, the Panda follows in the footsteps of the old 500 and suchlike. At just over 3.5 metres long, Fiat have concentrated on maximising the interior space whilst giving the cabin a versatility to enable it to meet all requirements. The four doors give good access (no 3 door version is planned) including the rear, where the standard car comes with two seats, a third (to make the car a 5 seater) being an option. Externally the styling (mostly the work of Bertone) has been influenced by the popular SUV culture of recent times, seen more overtly in the roof bars and detailing.

Underneath the skin the New Panda gets most of the raft of new developments which Fiat has been following, including the 1.3 16v MultiJet diesel engine and the 'Dualogic' automatic/sequential transmission. Other engines include the venerable 1108cc (54bhp) and 1242cc (60bhp) 8v petrol units. Chassis-wise it follows the conventional route with a transverse front engine, MacPherson struts at the front with a trailing beam at the rear and a front disc/rear drum braking setup.

As is the trend today, more features are becoming available in ever smaller cars, and the New Panda is no exception, with automatic climate control, double glass sunroof, stereo controls on the steering wheel (for the HiFi system available), sliding rear seat and safety items such as six airbags, ABS with EBD and ESP.

The summer of 2004 saw the new Panda 4x4 launched. Shown earlier at various motorshows, this features a permanent four wheel drive system which controls the distribution of drive automatically through the use of a viscous coupling. In normal conditions, 98% of the drive goes to the front wheels, with increasing amounts to the rear when there is a lack of traction at the front. The engine remains the same 1.2 60bhp unit, although the brakes are uprated to discs all round for additional control. It is visually distinguishable by the additional plastic protection around the wheelarches, along the sides and inserted into the front and rear bumpers as well as the larger wheels and tyres and unique interior trims. It is a very capable off-roader, suprising journalists by its exceptional ability - helped also by its small size and light weight, making it much more manoeuvrable and agile.

post-3-1113134063.gif

post-3-1113134064.gif

Edited by Normal_aspirated
↡ Advertisement

(edited)

more reviews from Top Gear web-sites:http://www.topgear.com/content/news/cars_coming_soon/07/

Forthcoming models - Fiat Panda: the two-minute guide

[24 September 2003]

What is it?

It's an entry-level Fiat, replacing the original Panda, production of which ceased this September. The new Panda has a general air of cheap'n'cheerful about it, with funky styling and small capacity engines. Fiat, however, is making much of the improved quality of its new baby, citing high levels of comfort, safety, engineering and equipment.

When's it due?

The five-door arrives here in February 2004, with a three-door due later in the year.

What are the engines and transmissions?

There are two petrols, a 1.1-litre 8V developing 54bhp and a 1.2-litre 8V of 60bhp. Most appealing is the diesel option, a 1.3-litre 70bhp Euro 4-compliant Multijet lump from Fiat's new family of advanced common rail units. Fiat boasts the diesel can run for 250,000km with no servicing required on its mechanical parts. All three engines come with a five-speed manual gearbox, though a Dualogic transmission, incorporating automatic and sequential changes, is available on the 1.2-litre petrol.

How fast does it go?

Manufacturer's figures: (first figure: 0-62mph, second figure: top speed)

1.1-litre 8v petrol - 15.0secs, 93mph

1.2-litre 8v petrol - 14.0secs, 96mph

1.3-litre 16v diesel - 13.0secs, 99mph

What does it cost?

Prices are yet to be announced, but a range of

Edited by Normal_aspirated

tat's pretty amazing...the punto is about 13km/l. was really tempted to get a Fiat, but i tot try to go for an alfa 1st, when im older and just wana relax and spend less, no doubt fiat will be it for me.

I love the Panda's cutesy shape and funky interior. Its also fun to drive with its Dualogic gearbox, and frisky engine. This is a car that appeals to the heart irresistibly, though the head says its a choice frought with perils ahead..haha! Am sorely tempted to buy one but its expensive for what its worth actually, at $59,800. I have a feeling I am paying for the high Euro...

Anyone out there has actually bought one? Or is anyone seriously contemplating buying one? Share your thoughts?

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

It's very expensive for a small car. sweatdrop.gif

But I think the 4x4 will be really nice! smile.gif

Edited by Panda

maybe stir up some interest........heard from the SE this Panda is very fuel efficient, 23Km/L on paper. [:)]

This is only applicabhle for cool Europe weather.

In S'pore hot humid weather and with air con turned ono full blast on hot day, you are lucky if you get 15km/l.

I still feel Fiat cars better to avoid.

Not suitable for hot local weather.

Sooner or later sure got problems.

↡ Advertisement