Porsche Cayman@$303,888 (with COE)..better deal than 6 Series??

Ykh1

Neutral Newbie

Porsche_Cayman_S_2006_001_259973FB.jpg

Porsche_Cayman_S_2006_002_06148540.jpg

THE Porsche Cayman seems to have opened up a new market for the German sports car manufacturer, with the new model netting 15 orders here even before it arrives in the first quarter of 2006.

Authorised distributor Stuttgart Auto said the majority of those who have booked a Cayman without driving it are first-time Porsche buyers.

'Most of them are new to the Porsche brand but because of the worldwide publicity about the Cayman, they are well-informed about the car's features and performance,' said Karsono Kwee, the executive chairman of Eurokars Group, which owns Stuttgart Auto. 'They don't need a test drive before buying the car.'

A 10 per cent cash deposit is required for the $303,888 (with COE) Cayman, which is a two-seater coupe based on the popular Boxster roadster. It may have the same mid-engined layout and underpinnings as the Boxster, but it is considered a separate model in the Porsche line-up.

The Cayman has a newly developed 3.4-litre, 295 hp flat-six engine which is more powerful than the 2.7-litre engine of the Boxster or the 3.2-litre unit of the Boxster S. And because it has a fixed roof, it does not require the additional strengthening of the roadster body, thus making the coupe lighter

than the topless model and further enhancing the power-to-weight ratio.

Acceleration from zero to 100 kmh takes 5.4 seconds and the recorded top speed is 275 kmh.

Mr Kwee believes the excitement generated by the Cayman could be due to the lack of direct competition. 'So far, there is no direct competitor in this segment because it is a high-performance two-seater coupe that is just over $300,000,' he said.

The other German offerings available include the BMW Z4 and Mercedes-Benz SLK convertibles.

Mr Kwee added that the marque's popularity was boosted by a quarterly sale organised by Stuttgart Auto for its pre-owned Porsche cars. And last year, the '2 plus 2' warranty programme was introduced, extending the usual two-year new car warranty with another two years of pre-owned warranty for a total of four years of back-up by the authorised distributor.

'This provides reassurance and peace of mind to our owners and is one of the reasons for the increased popularity of Porsche,' he said.

With the Cayman, Porsche now has a better model mix with a four-model line-up. The coupe slots in between the most expensive Boxster - the Boxster S, priced at $279,888 - and the entry-level 911, the 911 Carrera at $414,888.

Porsche also has an SUV model, the Cayenne. In 2008, a four-seater four-door sports car called the Panamera will be unveiled.

This article first appeared in BT on August 31, 2005

http://motoring.asiaone.com.sg/arti...050907_001.html

Edited by Ykh1
↡ Advertisement

3.4L with 295BHP compared to M3's 3.2L with 343BHP.

Cayman --> 2 seater

M3 ---> 4 seater

M3 slightly more expensive at $320,000.

I think its over hyped up.

Not to say better branding/image.

Don't know about balance though. Have sat in an M3 and its very very balanced to me. Not tried Porchay so I can't comment.

Neutral Newbie

Even the Porsche Cayman is not as powerful as the M3 or even the EVO9....plus those mod WRX...............

But Cayman is a car which give u above average performance + top image.......and with this price.........I guess is worth to buy. Unless u looking for smthing super fast sub 5sec...then u should go for the jap car. Cheap + Super Power.....but no image.....

As for 2 seat and 4 seat.........this is depend individual need.......If u got family...of coz is good to have more seat.....but u will lost on the image a bit.....

Or else u got close to a mil to burn in ur pocket....then can got for smthing got image + Superpower.......

Edited by Ykh1

Neutral Newbie

based on singapore pricing, hardly any exotic cars are worth its value... [thumbsdown]

i believe if PI brings in the Porky Caveman, likely can be had for around $270K??

if brave enough and money got enough... then self import lagi can save more i believe.

if talking strictly abt value within the Porky range then the Caveman is indeed the bargain of the century, considering its still a supercar brand.

M3 is good car, but blardy overpriced in SPR - as usual. In more "realistic" countries, M3 is as common as toyotas... good & bad but tats how good it is. Dun think its tat fiar to compare the Porky Caveman to the M3 though (not fair to the M3 tat is!!! [rolleyes][sly][sly])

Porsche Cayman - 3.4l @ 295 bhp = $303,888

0 - 100km/h = 5.4 seconds

Nissan 350Z - 3.5l @ 285 bhp = $142,500

0 - 100km/h = 6 seconds

Would you pay an extra S$161,388 just for an extra 10 bhp and 0.6 seconds off the 0 - 100km/h sprint?

And not forgeting the exhorbitant maintenance costs at Stuggart Auto (S$10,000 to replace 911 clutch).

For those with the spare cash to throw this S$161,388 down the drain, great. But I'd rather keep the extra cash and setle for the 350Z and compromise a little .

Think this way of comparing a Porche Cayman and a Nissan 350Z is not totally correct. [dizzy]

Of course if we are referring to average/above average income earners, then Porche would not be in our budget in first place. BUT AGAIN, since when a Porche Cayman targets this income group whom housing might well be priced below the car itself??

If one has lots of $$$ to burn and can well afford, his decision may not be concluded by the price comparison approach alone. The status of one driving a Porche versus a Nissan is way way apart.

Pls do not get me wrong.... in no way am I saying that 350Z or Nissan is not good enough, nor that status is soooo important. the considerations for the group that qualifies would be different, that's all.

I agree with you.

Of course the handling of a Porsche may be diferent from that of a 350Z.

But S$161,388 is peanuts to some, and they do not mind paying this money for "face"

Edited by Vit4wd

think its not always abt face. for some, they are just passionate about certain cars,ferrari, porsche and thank goodness they can afford it. function alone isn't everything for car buyers. i suppose the feeling they get when they sit in a porsche and a nissan or evo is different. its like watches, bags, shoes. for some, a bata shoe can last as long as a branded shoe. so y spend 500 on tat branded shoe. or folks who splash 150k for a 3 series, which is much slower than an evo at the same price. so y? i can only conclude theres something magical about driving a ferrari which tons of horsepower in the evo, 350z can never match.

M3 is good car, but blardy overpriced in SPR - as usual. In more "realistic" countries, M3 is as common as toyotas... good & bad but tats how good it is. Dun think its tat fiar to compare the Porky Caveman to the M3 though (not fair to the M3 tat is!!! [rolleyes][sly][sly])

Do you know that some private cab in UK is using M3 [shocked] . I have not even open my room door when my friend called and told me he's home already.

Neutral Newbie

It's not about the fastest and also is it a Fairlady anymore?

Also it's only in Sillypor where the price difference between the 2 cars is so great [sweatdrop]

i do not think there is any comparisons between fairlady/evo/rex and the cayman.

first - the impression of someone driving a porsche will indicate his society status.

second - this car is never meant for pple who like to mod their cars, when with that kind of price, dun think pple would want to mod the porsche as well'

third - this car on with the bigger engine capacity, will probably pull much faster to the 250kmh range much faster than any other modded evo and rex. not too sure abt the ZX.

fourth - u park an evo/rex/ZX beside the porsche, any babe will chose to jump into the latter [jawdrop]

↡ Advertisement