Coolant Colors?

Skoda_Man

Neutral Newbie

Curious why not for those with Pink or Orange coolant? Think mine is red color.

Edited by Admin
↡ Advertisement

When I collected the Fabia, the SE warned me that I can only fill the VW Group coolant which is pinkish red in colour. I was worried that they will hantum the owners on the prices for the coolant as we are not allowed to use anything else. The SE clarified that the coolant cost quite cheap at about 10 odd dollars. But dunno whether he got BS me or not. Skodaman, you know how much are the coolants ?

Hi Mr Skodaman,

VW uses only one type of antifreeze/coolant in the Golf, GTI, and Jetta (Bora equivalent in the US) regardless of engine type. So I presume this will also apply to all marques in the VAG stable that use VAG engines. This antifreeze/coolant is phosphate and silicate free and is identified by its red/pink colour. It's VAG product code is G12. Due to its special characteristics it should never be mixed with any other type of coolant. It isn't expensive so don't use anything else. I mean, even if it costs $20 that's still relatively cheap (almost free?!) compared to the cost of the car! [:p]

For best overall performance, the coolant/water ratio should be between 40/60 to 60/40, best is 50/50. Never ever use 100% coolant. Distilled water should always be used to avoid contamination from the various chemicals and minerals that are usually found in tap water.

VAG has a refractometer (VAG tool CEN5021) for testing the coolant concentration. But you shouldn't have to worry about testing anyway because the workshop will/should do it for you at every major service.

/DD

Edited by DoctorDrake

Neutral Newbie

Sorry man, no idea how much... if I can coolent, I will just change at any workshop... no need to go to Gul lane... [:p]

When I collected the Fabia, the SE warned me that I can only fill the VW Group coolant which is pinkish red in colour. I was worried that they will hantum the owners on the prices for the coolant as we are not allowed to use anything else. The SE clarified that the coolant cost quite cheap at about 10 odd dollars. But dunno whether he got BS me or not. Skodaman, you know how much are the coolants ?

Neutral Newbie

Okay DOC, important question for you.

Did you have the VAG tool? I am thinking of buying one.... but the cost is scary man, even for the laptop version... you got lobang???

Neutral Newbie

Damn, and I always thought that coolents are all the same - Cool down the engine to 90C....

Okay, does that means that I dun need to touck my coolent for 5 years??? Man I dun feel good about it....

Hi Skoda_man,

The pink/red/orange coolants like Havoline Dexcool by Caltex/Texaco that last 5yrs or 150,000miles. http://www.havolineusa.com/Products/antifreeze.html

Dexcool or equivalents are phosphate, silicate and nitrate free and have an organic base so cannot mix with the regular green types which contains silicates.

Nah, don't worry about it. Replacement of the coolant is not part of the routine maintenance. You'd have to replace it only during a major overhaul, if it the system has sprung a leak and needs topping up, or the coolant got contaminated.

Notes:

1. Hot coolant can scald. Don't work on the cooling system until it has fully cooled.

2. The coolant is poisonous and lethal, so use extreme care when draining and disposing of it. It has a sweet smell and taste so children and pets are likely to be attracted to it.

3. You'll know that the G12 in your car has been contaminated with other coloured coolants if you see discolouration (brown, purple, etc). You will also see a foamy deposit in the expansion tank and MUST be drained immediately.

Damn, and I always thought that coolents are all the same - Cool down the engine to 90C....

Okay, does that means that I dun need to touck my coolent for 5 years??? Man I dun feel good about it....

Hi Skoda_man,

The pink/red/orange coolants like Havoline Dexcool by Caltex/Texaco that last 5yrs or 150,000miles. http://www.havolineusa.com/Products/antifreeze.html

Dexcool or equivalents are phosphate, silicate and nitrate free and have an organic base so cannot mix with the regular green types which contains silicates.

Edited by DoctorDrake

Oy! You really itchy izzit? There are several VAG tools, of the electronic kind and otherwise. The one for checking coolant concentration is a little refractometer. Maybe you are thinking of the VAG factory diagnostic and reset scan tools, of which there are several! Heh heh.

I dun have lobang, but I know where you can buy them from:

www.asttool.com

www.baumtools.com

www.mactools.com

www.ross-tech.com

www.snapon.com

They even have the OBD-II software available for PDAs and PCs. The software + connector kit from Ross-Tech looks interesting at US$199.

Oh, do a search on "OBD-II" at www.google.com and you'll find several interesting results.

Okay DOC, important question for you.

Did you have the VAG tool? I am thinking of buying one.... but the cost is scary man, even for the laptop version... you got lobang???

You left out one coolant, Mercedes coolant, cool clear but smelly. *yucks* poooiii.. [crazy]

Hi Skoda_man,

Yes it has additive to lubricate the water pump as stated on the container. The W124 and W123 I used to drive must use MB Coolant, otherwise good luck during major traffic jam. Once temperature hits 120degC ECU will cut off the engine.

I used merc coolant before, not bad. Heard from a friend that it contains additive to lube the water pump.

Too bad I didn't know about Merc coolant properties when I was driving the 240GLE brick, bugger overheated damn easy. Had to switch off aircon in middle of traffic jam, buay tahan!

Neutral Newbie

Oh yes, that the one from Ross which I am thinking of.

But unless I am sticking with VW cars for a long long time I dun think I want to invest in it man.

BTW, does your little hand book got the codes? Heard that those are very important.

Yah, no point spending the money. Save it for the Tube Driver lor! (Don't hit me!)

The answer is yes, every last one. And it isn't little - more than 6.5 cm thick and weighs a couple of kilos. Makes for very good bed time reading. [:)] I'm bringing it to the SOG meet-up on 19 Jan so you can paw your way through it.

Oh yes, that the one from Ross which I am thinking of.

But unless I am sticking with VW cars for a long long time I dun think I want to invest in it man.

BTW, does your little hand book got the codes? Heard that those are very important.

Edited by DoctorDrake

Neutral Newbie

think so too.... the tude driver is swimming in my head always... haha

unless i go into serious mod and need to check the sensors always, i will pass..... no point checking it so often.....

↡ Advertisement