Rockford Fosgate AMP.

Kieran1975

Hi, anyone can recommend an entry level for Rockford Fosgate AMP 2 & 4 channel. Need to know the model & price. Budget $500-$800. Thanks.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

i'd recommend Phoenix Gold amps marketed by our fellow forummer Headshok. he's a good seller! u could also check with him on these RF amps .. but i bet he'll poison u to get 3 or 4 RF subs instead hehehe.

Probably will go for 2 channel as i dun intend to go 'active' for my ICE setup.

any bro have installed T3002 or T5002 on their setup, any comments?

THANKS. Any recommendation for HU for Passive setup? currently using stock HU (Pioneer DEP 4850). Do you think it's ok or under power?

1) HU - Pioneer DEP 4850

2) Front - CDT CL 62.

3) Rear - Lanzar coaxial.

Neutral Newbie

dont forget, getting 2 channel prevents u from using 1 amp to power sub as well. before u decide whether u want sub or not, listen to some cars. once u buy amp liao, sayang to sell if next time u decide to use sub.

i'm not familiar with exact specs of 4850 but roughly, u're mainly missing time alignment, many-band EQ. i'm not sure if 4850 have that pioneer fancy "BBE" mode which is just a convenient button to press when ur mp3 sounds empty and u want to give it some punch.

u dun really say 4850 is "under power". sure, some HU got more "power" in the sense that they have a higher pre-out voltage (more than 4 volts) but when we're talking about entry-level system, i doubt if it'll make a proper difference. and if u're afraid ur HU dun have "power" to drive the speakers, remember, u're already commiting to an amp. it's the amp that's giving "power" to the speakers, not the HU. so 4850 also got "power" if the amp got "power".

u can do step-by-step upgrade, leave the HU alone, enjoy the rest first, then decide. there is hardly any extra penalty involved in changing HU later - u just pay for the HU, and pay for the installation of about $25. if u install HU together with everything, u also end up paying about $20-25 for the HU install. so do it later.

only one thing to watch out for: when you lay cables. does the 4850 have 2 RCA output plugs or just 1? if there's only 1, laying 1 cable is fine. the only situation where you want to lay more than 1 cable is - you lay another cable if u want active, and also one cable if u want sub. if u're quite sure u dowan these, stick to 1 cable. cos if u change ur mind and lay more cables again, just have to pay the labour charge for cable laying (about $25-30?) and seeing your nice car seats and carpet dismantled again for the laying. the price for budget RCA cables can be as low as $20 for 5 metres long.

good luck in your planning!

I just check my 4850 HU installation guide and it show only one RCA connection to Power Amp. I think you are right if i decided to go 'active' I'll need to change my HU but right now I'll hold on to it as got no plan to go 'active'. I don't think I have 'space' to place the subwoofer as my car boot are filled with my kids & my stuff's ( 2 X pram, working tools and etc.)

Neutral Newbie

4850 got 2 rca preout, that means you can hook up a total 4 channel, 2 x 2channel amp or 1 x 4 channel amp, if you just need to power your front comp, just get a 2 channel amp for it

Neutral Newbie

Hi, try active sub that can be put below your sit. no need to go active if u jus want better sound. Maybe not even amp if you decide a speaker that can be driven by your HU....eg, CDT CL62.

Look ard.

U could drop by Audioedge over at jln jurong kecill ..They hav a number of RF range amps ..Frm puch series to Power series ..Did mine Power Series amps there ..Would say price is competitive ...Else New Gen is another place to go for RF products .. [:)]

How much did you paid for RF AMP? I'm still scouting around, heard that the punch series is now made in china. Is that true? what is the difference between punch & power?

HI Kieran,

why not u drop by our weekly meetup, look out for the post, listen to some of the guy's car, learn more first lah.. know what u want b4 making the investment... i'm very sure the meetup will be helpful.. gettin info online has its limit.. face to face discussion will be much more informative lah..

cheers!

↡ Advertisement