Honda S2000 Vtec, Turbo or Supercharged

Quantum

I wonder why Honda S2000 only 2.0L in-line 4 cylinder engine can produce 240BHP [thumbsup][thumbsup] , what technology does it use [confused], Vtec, Turbo or Supercharged [gossip], but civic 2.0 vtec only 155BHP [sly]

Edited by Quantum
↡ Advertisement

i think s2000 240 is at rpm of 8300 and civic 155 at 6000,difference rpm ma..i think only ..for what kind of technology not very sure ...this topic talk b4 abt torque and horsepower

if like tat as well compare lotus and camry 2.4 ..lotus using 1.8 litre toyota engine and camry 2.4 litre..190 vs 150..more difficult to explain liao

Edited by Freestylers09

don't think the S2000 uses FI.

VTEC is only a broad term for honda's technology. there is so much more tuning that you can do, like the difference between celica's SS1 and SS2 engine, by adding the lift can boost 40hp...

so u insinuating that if civic rev to tat rpm it will giv u tat HP? certaintly rpm is nt a explanation to his question.

horsepower or power is linerly related to the product of rpm and torque, where the max combination gives hp or power.

S2000 and Integra Type R has 3rd wild cam action upon hitting a certain rpm. Basically, the lift, angle of cams etc become more aggressive and basically allows for more Air/Fuel to be in the combustion process.

Normal i-VTEC has variable valve and switches from 12 valves to 16 valves (at around 2200 rpm). Thus, it'll give good FC when not revving, but will give decent performance when revved. This is used in Integra GSR/Type S (K20A3 engine), Stream 2L and Civic 2L. However, the K20A3 used for Integra GSR/Type S has a modified intake that can vary between long and short air intake, thus giving more bhp than the others.

However, they lack the wild cam action of true Type R's like the S2000 and ITR. The Type R engines are also fortified (piston rods, crankshaft etc) to withstand the higher pressures.

Edited by Vblaster_w211

Neutral Newbie

u see for a normal square engine whereby the stroke length equals the bore length as in camry or accord.. 86mm by 86mm u cant rev veh high or have insane amount of torque.. u get the best of both worlds...

so if u want to have more torque u lengthen the stroke(torque is proportionate to length of storke ) and make smaller the bore... And if u want more power means shortening the stroke and make bigger the bore... assuming capacity stays constant.. in our case 2litre

in s2000 case... the bore is enlarged whereas stroke length is decreased.... thereby u can rev veh high ( a lanky piston cannot rev veh high )... rev limit is proportionate to hp... so higher u rev more power u get...

but for s2000.. the torque is sacrificed... pick up is slugish... low end torque cmi until vtec kicks in at ard 6000 ( aka valve starts opening more ).. there has been complains abt it... tt's why first few gears are closely meshed for tighter shifts to maintain within vtec range.. then again downside is when cruising at high speed at max gear.. engine rev veh high so engine sound veh loud...

and finally they decided to lenthen the stroke and leave the bore size untouched... so u get the upgrade 2.2litre engine for s2000 that is sorta detuned cos redline lower liaoz but torque increased... [:)]

Edited by Chenqien

I wonder why Honda S2000 only 2.0L in-line 4 cylinder engine can produce 240BHP [thumbsup][thumbsup] , what technology does it use [confused], Vtec, Turbo or Supercharged [gossip], but civic 2.0 vtec only 155BHP [sly]

its not turbo nor supercharged....

partly its the vtec technology...

and the engine is consider as a racing engine...

specially made one...

its diff from the civic engine...

the civic is using the K series engine..and trhe S2K is F series one...

i think s2000 240 is at rpm of 8300 and civic 155 at 6000,difference rpm ma..i think only ..for what kind of technology not very sure ...this topic talk b4 abt torque and horsepower

if like tat as well compare lotus and camry 2.4 ..lotus using 1.8 litre toyota engine and camry 2.4 litre..190 vs 150..more difficult to explain liao

even if the S2K at 6k rpm shd also be ard 200bhp...

i guess what he meant was power against capacity....

one of the best NA ride.... [thumbsup]

S2000 and Integra Type R has 3rd wild cam action upon hitting a certain rpm. Basically, the lift, angle of cams etc become more aggressive and basically allows for more Air/Fuel to be in the combustion process.

yah....i agree...[nod]

the process above is known as vtec activation....

that's why partly its the vtec technology....

but without those wiild cams,high comp pistons...etc...

the vtec alone also wun be able to produce the result...

Honda really makes great NA cars.... [nod]

I see [nod] ,

but it seems not much new technology, why its so costly (130k+) [sly][sly]

does it sacrifice FC to get power [confused]

definitely it will sacrifice the FC...

cos when the cams are changed to higher lift and longer duration,

more air will goes into the engine...thus more fuel will be needed... [:)]

A Type R is a track ready car from the word go. It's of course "expensive" compared to their non Type R offerings. VTEC is not new technology, but they've added variable cams etc, the i in i-VTEC, and other tweaks.

It's not so easy squeezing past 100bhp per 1000cc displacment on an NA. Honda is one of the few who manages with their VTEC for cars sold to consumers (not those competition cars only).

↡ Advertisement