Comments on Optra Estate

Huggable

Hi all,

I'm considering the Optra Estate to cater for my growing family. The Estate (manual) looks like a good deal, but without ABS and airbags. blush.gif

The Estate (auto) has better equipment/features, but the pricing would be a little steep. I can top up a few k to get the Impreza TS wagon (available in auto only), although the TS wagon would be smaller. The other wagons in the market (like Megane Scenic, Opel Astra Wagon, Focus wagon, 320 wagon, V40) are too expensive to be considered.

Are there any major problems with the Optra Estate (M)? I've read some "it's like that" problems with other models, hence I'm very concerned about the after-sales of the car. What is the FC like, and the build/safety of the car?

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

Actually, the estate manual is an extended version of the sedan 4 door manual. You can search for comments on the Optra Sedan and apply the extended cabin at the rear [laugh]

Don't think there is an airbag on the wagon or they may have upgraded it to a single driver airbag. There is also no center arm rest unlike the sedan. Other than these, the wagon is exactly the same.

Really now, the MT wagon is a real neat set up for the price you pay. Look at the kind of features on the vehicle and compare it with the equal competition......there is actually none in the market.

The FC is between 11 to 13 km/litre depending on how heavy your right foot is.

CBX

Edited by Cbx750p

The wagon only has 2x 3-point seat belts at the rear, the centre is a 2-point belt. The sedan has all 3x 3-point belts. Chevrolet has the weird practice of tagging equipment level with the transmission type (AT/MT).

Anyone has an idea how many points did the Optra estate scored in the euro ncap crash test?

Optra was not tested by EuroNCAP.

Generally, the estate is mechanically similar to the Sedan version. Actually airbag is not that important as marketing hype makes it to be. But it depends on your priorities. Most older gen cars do not have airbags and ppl still survive on them.

Airbag only useful in frontal crash. If a little sideways, there are many cases of it not inflating. Worse case is inflating when it need not. Might cause deafness.

Anyway, to some ppl airbag is a critical consideration while others, it is just good to have. Depend on you. So far not much prob reported on Optra, only minor case unless u sway sway get a lemon unit.

GM is more leniet about servicing car outside, as long as get original parts from its stocklist. "Its like that one" comes from the dealers, outside workshop will be more willing to spend more time diagnosing the prob and replaceing the parts with a lower fee.

(edited)

Seen two badly smashed up Optra ( licence plate removed obviously ) but all the doors opened up nicely, i.e. cabin is well protected. The airbags deployed and understand that the drivers survived and bought another Optra ! One of the vehicle was totalled.

I am for the Optra in solidness ! [flowerface] Although they did not subject the Optra for the Ncap rating but GM claims that it conforms to the NCAP rating.......so what does this mean ? Do it or doesn't it ???

"With a total of 194 crash tests carried out in the United States, Australia, and South Korea, the Optra conforms to the demanding Euro NCAP standards."

http://www.gmthailand.com/site2005/htm/new...ase2003-34E.php

CBX

Edited by Cbx750p

Thanks for the info. Any idea how's the service/pricing of the newly appointed agent, Alpine Motors?

Where are the 2 Optras? Would like to visit them.

GM claims the Optra conforms to Ncap rating, doesn't make any sense to me. Ncap gives a rating (points) to the vehicles tested, as well as a number of stars. There's no info on what the 194 crash tests are about, were they carried out according to ncap's standards. So it doesn't say anything to me.

Pricing is better than SA. Can drive a harder bargain. The service level u get depends on the sales exec serving you ba...

i rather buy from AM than SA...

u want i can pm u one friendly and not pushy sales guy from AM at boon lay way showroom.

Neutral Newbie

Denmark, nice SEE you again.

Then it should be among those industrial area near IMM. It is close to my home.

So will you meetup at this week?

Neutral Newbie

yos... sorry man.. cant, flying off to birth place of my Optra tommorrow... will be back monday only....

Sure, pls PM me the contact of the SE.

Just wondering, will AM put in some hidden costs with the harder bargain? If you get the car from AM, do you have to get your car serviced at their own workshop, or can you do it at SA's workshop?

Check out

http://www.alpinemotors.sg

Boon Lay Showroom:

8 Boon Lay Way, #01-24/25/26 Tradehub21

Singapore 609964

Tel: 6316 5335 Fax: 6316 5333

Bukit Timah Showroom:

833 Bukit Timah Road, #01-01 Royalville

Singapore 279887

Tel: 6469 9998 Fax: 6469 3188

Oops free advertising!

Hmmm... I wonder Thailand or Korea...

yos... sorry man.. cant, flying off to birth place of my Optra tommorrow... will be back monday only....

(edited)

The later badges of Optra estate (from Thailand) has a center armrest. The roof rails come standard as well. The later versions get flushed door handles instead of the (more luxurious looking) pull handles.

There is also no center arm rest unlike the sedan. Other than these, the wagon is exactly the same.
Edited by Huggable

Neutral Newbie

Thanks for info, bro. Both at west, near my home. Will check the service package.

Have you book your estate yet. Any comment on test drive?