Audi A6, Bimmer 523i or Lexus GS300

Cantona156

Audi A6, Bimmer 523i or Lexus GS300  

87 members have voted

1. 1.

• Audi A6 2.0T ~$160k
    • BMW 523i ~$165k
    • Lexus GS300 ~$163K + 3 yrs free svc

For engine power per $ spent, I'd get the GS300.

However, interior is very Japanese for my liking.

In addition, the rear centre seat hump is so pronounced that anyone > 1.76m will have his head touching the ceiling. [shakehead]

The RWD high transmission hump does not help at all.

Audi A6 has best-quality interior and build. Made in Germany.

But fault lies with the SG distributor (Premium Automobile) who bring in only CVT [thumbsdown] transmission models (Multitronic in Audi-speak). Blaaah!

Handling-wise, it cannot match its RWD competition.

523i is overall good. Also made in Germany.

But its detuned 2.5L block only generates 177 BHP. [:/]

Hard acceleration shows the true limit of this engine.

Beyond ~5,000 RPM, it made more noise than go.

For the same 2.5L road tax you pay, might as well get the 525i at 218 BHP. But then, its $40K more expensive!

Being RWD, the rear transmission hump is also quite pronounced.

Oh you had that experience too on the 523i?

Yah I found it anaemic at the top end.

Tachometer climbed very fast above 5000rpm, a lot of noise generated, but response was not linear at the top end (like as if the engine went on a free-spin, with diminishing bite translated across the visco-coupling), unlike the engine response got between 2500-4500rpm.

Edited by Astrid

Hey I see you got an X3.

That engine is better than the 523i's IMHO.

Although 2.5L 24v also, the X3's engine develops 192 BHP [thumbsup] (vs 523's 177 BHP).

That, in spite of the X3's engine NOT having Valvetronic.

The 523i engine is Valvetronic with Double-VANOS I believe, yet de-tuned like crazy! [blush]

I'll prefer the E280 with smooth M272 3L engine (232 bhp)... ops, not in your list [sly]

Anyway, I'll go for the BMW 523. Power delivery is just one of the factor. Overall build, design, feel of the car etc play a part. IMO, the GS300, whilst looking good on specs, lacks the presence of the Germans.

The A6 is nice too. Frankly, any of your 3 choices will bring a smile to the owner.

But, ultimately, I'm still a Merc guy.

The E200K FL is pretty good at 183bhp from a SC 1.8L. Saves on road tax.

Some may think the E200K (the pre FL version) a bit laggy, but that's largely due to the comfort biased drive-by-wire throttle. Once you put in sprint booster, the lag is no longer there and car is surprisingly agile. On a Kleemann kit, it'll add 40bhp easily as it's a Kompressor.

I'm sure the FL E200K will be even more so.

It all depends on what you're looking for in a such a ride. E Class is out and out luxurious. 523 is entertaining to drive, whereas GS300 can be considered value for money. The A6 is classy and a touch sporty. All good! [thumbsup]

Edited by Vblaster_w211

Easiest to gain bhp is M271 engine via Kleemann pulley kit with K-box piggyback ECU. Some have also added Kleemann header with sports cat, leading to around 230bhp.

E Class and 5 series FR layout is better than the FF of A6.

All 3 cars have excellent sound insulation - you won't really hear the engine noise to the point of being instrusive.

Edited by Vblaster_w211

I believe this was discussed ad-infinitum in the BMW forums.

Re-mapping the 523i's ECU does not a 525i make.

If its that simple, a whole lot of people around the world would have done that.

People have tried, but none so far got the 177 BHP engine to behave like the 218 BHP.

Basic engine hardware, from cam lobe profiles / followers, con-rods, D-VANOS setup, Valvetronic gearing etc. will need to be changed.