Volkswagen GOLF R32

Curahee

Neutral Newbie

power... yes, but its weight is quite substantial.. at abt 1500kg++ and since its 250bhp is distributed to all 4 wheels... transmission loss will be more than say a FWD car...

its a Q-car; subtle and yet able to give them many other "wannabe" cars a run for their money. It should command a certain premium in Singapore but IMO it is still over priced..

IMHO one should not compare it to the GTi directly...if u wanna compare directly to GTi.. then forget the R32 and jus get the GTi...

but if u decide to get this car, drive it for wat it is.. a very fast, subtle and highway bruiser that can also take corners fast and confidently..

as a whole package and for driving fun, the R32 has it all, plus its roomy too.. but dont pay anything more than 140K for it (incl COE)... why? if u wanna know then ask. otherwise i keep quiet for now.

The optional RECARO "batwing" seats, my suggestion is that u can get original ones from an external parts supplier... its cheaper and u get to keep ur stock seats from VW also... rather than pay 5K to 6K and only get the recaros.

cheers!.

I always thought tis ka is always special as it is the only compact wif 3.2 & short overhang. According to Top Gear, it is less tail happy than BMW 130 (look 4 the video in Youtube). By the way, why should we pay < 140K?

Do u know what so special about Golf R32 which set it apart from GTI? It is the unique engine VR6. Without VR6, i would rather get BMW 130. BMW 130 is the only hatchback wif RWD in production.

Neutral Newbie

err... no doubt the R32 is special, but lets not forget that there is also alfa & Renault tat started lumping in BIG CC engines in their hatchbacks... i.e: the sexy & sonorous sounding 147GTA and the mid engined RWD Renault Clio V6 230 & now facelifted 255 V6.... [sweatdrop]

How to be tail happy in an R32 when it has a capable AWD transmission? if it gets tail happy easily, then there must be seriously something wrong with the AWD... [rolleyes][;)]

Do u even want to be tail happy in a hatchback for that matter? If u want real serious "bite" that could hurt u and cost u lots of money, then go for the Clio V6 230... it has such a short wheelbase & is RWD tat even with its tremendous grip; when u drivfe it hard it easily spins out if there is anyone less than a good driver behind the wheel... AND i do mean SPIN OUT... not powerslide... [laugh]

Tat is why the Clio 255 V6 is a much better version to have...(besides its uprated power). It is even more grippy and has a slightly longer wheelbase to minimise the tail happiness..but it still bloody bites... even experienced drivers. Tat is the issue wit hatchbacks + RWD + Big power.

The Alfa 147gta is way under-rated... it is blardy fast and the "measly" 250bhp to the front wheels means minimal power loss. Compare it to a AWD system, or even a RWD, the power loss could be even more than 20% in the latter. But of course with so much power to the front wheels, it is almost a 100% must that you change ur stock 147 GTA suspension to coilovers, widen the rim width to at least 8" and try to reduce weight to the front to reduce understeer. All these "basic" mods will see ur 147GTA get into corners faster, hold the power in mid corner and exit with full power early on. Shiok man the feeling.. next step to mod is dump in an LSD for even more traction and change the exhaust... and drive hard in CTE tunnel... wat u hear will make u wet ur pants; anything better sounding than the GTA V6 will have to be a Ferrari, maserati or lambo... and im not kidding!!

phew... i get damn excited when it comes to hatchbacks.. i jus love them.. except for the 1 series. love the 3.0 engine but not in the 1-series platform...

oh ya, although it always sound damn macho talking abt "tail happiness" and power slides etc... if it happens to u on public roads in a situation whereby it shouldnt, then its really no joke.

On track still got chance to spin out safely... on public roads, its either u suffer or the driver near ur car tat does. So i would not be too quick to ask for tail happiness.. in any car for tat matter, unless im a seasoned pro driver.

cheers!

Neutral Newbie

For the price of a Beemer 130, you are better of getting a Z4. At least you get a proper 2 seat roadster.

The 130i rear seats are no bigger then a 206cc and the boot space is rubbish.

Neutral Newbie

couldnt agree more with wat Kyousuke said... the new Z4 coupe (not the convertible) with the new 3.0 litre engine is priced very very attractively in UK... and could be seen as a bargain buy if u want tat sort of car. It does 0-100 in less than 6 seconds, is fuel efficient and not as hard to handle as the Z4M....

yes and as he said the 1 series back seats are good only for kids with NO LEGS.,... [sweatdrop][sweatdrop][rolleyes]... and the boot size is so tiny i think even lotus elise got bigger boot space! so dont even bother thinkin tat the 1-series is practical in tat aspect...

remember wat JC said in top gear abt the 1-series: its as practical as a goat... (not even donkey! at least can pull a cart.. haha)

cheers!

It is special not because of the big CC. VW is the only manufacturer wif VR6. That's why it is still a straight 6 without the length of straight 6. Straight 6 (including V12) is the most balance engine of all configuration.

Renault V6 has 2 b mid-engine because of the short overhang. I guess u r a Alfa fan. I luv the alfa as long as they could produce it in RWD. Wif FWD, u will need a lot of steering input especially Alfa. Wif RWD, u will need less steering input. Even though RWD is alway tail happy, juz need to lift throttle to get it back into line. However, powerful RWD is slight dangerous on rainy day. Well, there is not much public road in Sg that is winding & long enuf. For AWD, it depends on front, rear or neutral biased. It is rare to final neutral biased. If it is rear biased, it could still be tail happy to d extent front wheel come & save d day.

For me, the only reason i will buy R32 is only for the engine.

↡ Advertisement