Driving a Singapore van into Malaysia

Kenlinliu1419

Can anyone tell me what are the restrictions for driving a Singapore registered van into Malaysia?

I need to make regular trips there in the near future, so would like to know where I stand on this issue.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Hi, i had done my check a few years ago... don't know whether still vaid or not??? Malaysia... side always changes their mind and regulation... [sweatdrop] You have to double check when you ready to apply for the permit...

1) Malaysia LTA will question your purpose in driving into Malaysia?

2) I suppose your van is company registered right? Malaysia LTA told me i have to set up a company in Malaysia / JB. This company must have me(Singaporean) + a Malayisan as company owner. So you can get your Malaysian friend to help.

3) You must apply Malaysia Road Tax (to be pay annually)just like what we did in Singapore.

4) If your entry to Malaysia is meant for business purposes, you will be issued a letter from Malaysia LTA and this letter will allows you to drive your van freely into Malaysia.

5) I assume you know you must drive in the Van/Lorry Lane when you crossing customs. This will deeply affect your waiting time as many big lorries and truck crossing the causeway during certain timing. Unless you use 2nd link in Tuas, then will be faster.

6) You need to declare whatever things inside your van when returning especially in Singapore customs... as expected you need to pay GST. Don't be panic when Malaysian custom stops your van in their custom checking... they may need you to pay some "coffee $$$" [lipsrsealed]

Please do keep me updated if you have found any new rules and regulation on this issues... Me too, also have a van but didn't apply for the permit as what i mention above as i always uses my car to cross to JB to collect my goods and other small items.

All the best!!! [thumbsup]

You need the following to apply for permit.

1) SG & Msia reg company cert

2) Insurance cover SG & Msia + road tax (note: both expiry date is advised to be near each other)

3) SG lta inspection cert (same goes to this one)

3) 1 time Inspection in JB (subsequent inspection can be done in SG)

4) guarantee 2mths to get your premit

After that, you need to go over JB for 1 inspection only.

And you need to pay road tax.

Without permit, consequences are:

1) coffee money (rm50 - rm100)

2) Breach of 3 law. No permit, No inspection, No rd tax. rm100 per summon (rm300)

3) compound your van + Court Summon, which is the worst case possible (rm1000 least + 1 month compound)

Btw, i'm a singaporean agent handling such permit.

If you really wan to go in with the legal documents. call me @ 94996635 for joe

Last time I used to have a msian registered co. But didn't register the van. Now, no more co in msia.

I heard there are some ppl who can "help to arrange" the permits even without you having a msian registered company. However, they charge like $1K or $2K per year. If I have to pay $2K for that per year, I think it's the same as registering a sdn bhd again. The $2K will be my annual accounting + misc fees.

I generally think it's difficult otherwise to drive the van in. 1 thing I felt unfair is that our GPV (ie, double cabin pickup) can't go to msia without the commercial vehicle permit, unlike the msian double cabin pickups where they can come in to sg like normal private cars. How unfair.

Neutral Newbie

went to jb this morning and saw a commercial plate kangoo van drive to malaysia using the car lane at sg and msia custom ?i tot they have to use lorry or bus lane?? [hur] rule change liao??

Neutral Newbie

he heng or ica busy looking for MAS Selamat [laugh] .....anyway who will stop a kangoo van from using the car lane anyway ?

Neutral Newbie

the driver of the kangoo van with commercial plate and company details drive thru car lane got his passport stamp .... even got down and got his thumbprint check , boot check ... pass thru no problem leh . i was behind his van [laugh] ...

Neutral Newbie

What about hafei Minz? Do i have to take a permit or any sort of paperwork?

↡ Advertisement