Driving the Hafei Minz Up Genting/Cameron

Voodooman

I am asking on behalf of someone who is looking seriously at the cheap MPV. Anyone owns one and/or has driven one up the mountains of Malaysia? Please comment.

Edited by Voodooman
↡ Advertisement

hmm, if it's gonna be fully loaded, it will take some real effort to get Hafei up.

I don't own any Hafei, but i know the engine is exactly a powerful unit.

Edited by Carcraze

i think it shouldnt b a problem in going up to genting, china has steeper mountains to climb.

of course, it will loose out when compared to those bigger animals like jag, prancing horse, raging bull etc. in this comparison, we must compare the monies.

3rd world technologies do have an image problem when out in the real world. i remembered when the proton saga was launched >20 yrs ago. there were alot of negative remarks abt it. then it was used as a taxi, and today , there r many saga taxis in malaysia with > 10 yrs on the road. using it as a taxi for 10 yrs is a punishing hard labor test.

I am asking on behalf of someone who is looking seriously at the cheap MPV. Anyone owns one and/or has driven one up the mountains of Malaysia? Please comment.

I think the machine itself should be able to make it but the driver has to be experienced enough. If you drive too slowly up, you are going to face pressure from behind you i.e. the faster cars that wanted to cut you from anywhere. Make sure your friend have a reliable set of tyres and good brake. So, IMHO, the driver is the key not the car.

Regards,

I have nothing against Chinese made cars or the Hafei, but the Minz's small engine capacity may be challenged on the steeper Genting slope. Cameron may be an easier run, especially via the new Simpang Pulai exit. If you are hauling the full complement of 7 plus their bags, the final stretch up may be [sweatdrop][sweatdrop][sweatdrop] .

So if someone has done it with a Hafei Minz, please share share your experience.

i'm more concerned with the safety aspect and the handling. progress will be slow but i believe the vehicle can make it up

also, engine braking is a must on the way down. wouldn't trust china car brakes with too much heat [lipsrsealed].

ultimately, it's up to the driver whether the hafei CAN go up and down. but i would not wish to try. [sweatdrop]

rather take bus up [lipsrsealed]

My guess is that it will make it but probably not when fully loaded. I drove a auto 1.6L Honda up Genting Highland many years ago (10-20 yrs ago). We had to "stopover" at a temporarily declared safezone for it to "rest and recuperate". It wasn't a very pleasant experience but the car eventually made it to the top, literally crawled itself there.

The Minz's advantage is that it has a manual transmission, it should therefore compensate slightly for the small c.c. engine.

But he needs to hear it from the real McCoy, otherwise he is taking the bus.

My friend had the same concern, going down, not up. He probably knows more about the brake and you are right, it may not be safe, coming down is actually more dangerous if you don't have good stopping power.

if really need a multi seater car and requires u to travel to malaysia, i would suggest the suzuki apv

APV or even every..

the every looks very boxy and dunno if have 7-seater, but i'd trust a jap car anyday over china car..

APV is 1.5 liter and considered underpowered liao. but genting shd be fine [thumbsup]

1. I've driven to Gentings a few times with my Civic, so if it is underpowered then I can't imagine other cars.

2. Anyway, it is a common sight to see fully loaded kelisa and Kancil zipping up the hills. Singaporean who are driving big MPV and SUV also crawl like dunno what, so what even they have a powerful engine in their car?

Regards,

1. Civic is definitely not underpowered. The Vtec engine is actually very adapt at climbing hills, I drive a Honda too.

2. If you are driving a 1.6 or 2.0L car and you are being overtaken by a fully loaded 800 c.c. Kancil or Kelisa, I seriously doubt the set-up in the latter is original. It is mathematics. We are of course comparing FWD cars only.

Btw, is AWD/RWD good at climbing hills?

Take his time, off aircon, low gear and last resort, take the cable car. [sunny]

It looks like noone with a Hafei has attempted the drive yet, anyone drove it to KL to-date?

↡ Advertisement