Ford Focus vs Peugeot 207

Nivlac

Neutral Newbie

colleague looking at this 2 models... French cars are know for their "reliability", Focus honestly is not the prettiest hatch in town. both with above average handling, so-so interior...

any comments from the gurus here? [cool]

↡ Advertisement

if your colleague is looking at Focus, then for Peugeot, it shd be 307 instead for a fair comparision.

For conti in this class, you can also look at C4, Astra, Megane and maybe Golf but then, it's 1.6fsi, not GTI.

There's already some very detail discussion in here. Try searching for it.

If your colleague is comparing with Peu 308,... then Peu should just clinched it because its newer.

But if 207 vs Focus II ... then Focus hands down.

If Focus III is brought in (possibly 2nd half of the year after they launch the new 6 speed DSG style auto trans in Europe) ... then Focus will be the ultimate hatch below 100k.

until then,....

i have tried focus, handling is not above average... i should say 7.5/10 ley... focus is coming with a new facelift... pug's 207 is a bit small at the back seats... never tried driving but ride in one before..

I haven't tried the 207, but I have tried the Focus a few times. I did not buy the Focus as I do not like the underpowered feeling it gave me, compared to other Conti 1.6 cars that I have tried. Granted it was only a short drive, I felt that the engine was straining hard and the gear selection was not to my liking.

The handling, like you said, is excellent.

Yes, that is very true. It is seriously underpowered. I am running on 17" as well so you can imagine. Nonetheless, it is an excellent car with excellent handling. It feels somewhat like the E46 3 series. Only let down is the engine. Regent Motors should bring in at least a 1.8 for the model.

maybe u wanna wait for the new facelift focus to come it. it look nice to me though. heard that focus have the best handling among all the conti car in the same class. haven't test drive yet though.

ok lah... 8.8km/L

to get the best out of a ford, should drive their manual, not auto. they manual is one of the best shifters i've ever used (just behind honda's). Never driven alfa manual tho...

Also, manual's FC will be so much better,... 17" or 18".

they should also bring in the 2.5T mondeo titanium X and price is at about $124k. i will buy it.

colleague looking at this 2 models... French cars are know for their "reliability", Focus honestly is not the prettiest hatch in town. both with above average handling, so-so interior...

any comments from the gurus here? [cool]

Focus handling is the best in its class. That alone I think gives it an edge over many rivals of similar makes. Ford reliability is generally also favourable among the bread and butter contis. Generally perceived to be more reliable compared to the likes of Citroen and Renault.

That is very true. However, the sales figures do not seem to do justice to the car.

On another note, I realise Focus is quite popular among malays? I am not sure if you guys have observed though. Not being racist.

i have tried focus, handling is not above average... i should say 7.5/10 ley... focus is coming with a new facelift... pug's 207 is a bit small at the back seats... never tried driving but ride in one before..

Focus handling always received 5 stars in major car reviews. Their key selling pt has always been in this, although this car is generally a bit underpowered.

Ford sales figures had always been good in 2000-2005 until a very bad drop in the last two years ie 2006-2007. Sales drop by almost 50% in 06-07. [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

Hmmm, Iam not too sure abt it being popular among malays..maybe...

focus is not only the best in ride/handling in its class, but also safe (NCAP 5 star).

realiability wise, it is also more reliable than VW.

the reason for its poor sale is because there is only 1 engine choice (compared to VW which has so many). While the engine is reliable, its under powered and not as refined.

Also, the brand name - Ford does not stir anything in anyone. it'll take another 20-30 years to change the perception of the brand name. That's about how long Toyota built its name too.

It took almost 100 years for mercedes to build its name to this day... so, its not easy to change people's perception of a brand once its name damaged.

Actually its quite puzzling...Iam not too sure why also...no major problems reported abt the reliability but the sales just plunged..It could be due to the AD service and some bad publicity not too long ago regarding its intention to sue a customer over some disparaging remarks abt its service level in the forum(some customers expressed disgust with the AD for its pettiness shown in this matter)..since then I heard of some ford customers switching to Fiat instead...