A4 1.8T or Saab 9-5 2.0t

Skywalker

Neutral Newbie

Looking in 2nd hand market for these 2 cars.

Both are latest facelift version, i.e. A4 with big front grill (2005 onwards) and 9-5 with lots of chrome trim in the front (2006 onwards).

Both are highly tuneable for performance, just want to know more on maintaining these cars,

1. Source of spare parts & cost

2. Reliability

Thanks [:)]

↡ Advertisement

Both cars are generally reliable. Spare parts for Audi can be easily sourced and should be cheaper.

I would go for the Audi. I think its interior and exterior looks better. The 9-5 interior looks dated but it's more spacious.

i will take the saab for its lower costs and depre ... i find audi very overpriced, irregardless brand new or used

in terms of parts cost and reliability...audi will be a better bet

I would go got A4.

The interior and exterior are both better looking and the front grill of the Audi is really fierce! [sly]

New Audi is really overpriced but if you buy 2nd hand is worth it! [thumbsup]

Neutral Newbie

Thanks for all the advise. Are u all from Audi club? [:p] (just joking)

No doubt in terms of look A4 win 9-5, and personally I love A4 look, and of course its 1.8T engine [inlove] . But many review shows its CVT gearbox is a let down, cannot handle >200bhp else higher wear & tear = high maintenance cost.... interior space is also small for my family.

Saab has well known for its turbo engine with very responsive tuning [inlove] , great space good as family car but interior look is really dated [thumbsdown] , exterior is fine....

headache [dizzy]

well, will test drive both of them at showroom (new) and decide based on my heart.... [sly]

Can also consider the Skoda Superb 1.8T (same engine as the A4 and A6 1.8Ts) plenty of leg room at the back, Long Wheel Base sedan.

Neutral Newbie

I am not so sure about the responsiveness of Saab's turbo engine, having driven the new 1.8T, (take note audi is coming with the new 1.8TFSI engine) and Saab 9-5 felt no much different.

Here are some facts gleaned from the manufacturers:

SAAB 9-5

Engine capacity 1,985 cc

Engine type 4 cylinder in-line, turbocharged, intercooled DOHC 16V

Compression ratio 9.3

Power 180 bhp

Torque 280 Nm

Performance

Acceleration 11.6s (0-100kmh)

Top Speed 210kmh

Fuel consumption 10 kmL

Audi A4 1.8T (non-TFSI)

Engine capacity 1,781 cc

Engine type Inline 4-cylinder spark-ignition engine (DOHC)

Compression ratio 9.6

Bore x Stroke (82.5 x 84.1) mm

Power 163 bhp

Torque 225 Nm

Performance

Acceleration 9s(0-100kmh)

Top Speed 223kmh

Take note that Audi is known for understaing their figures

I agree with the MU CVT thing though, it's good for smooth driving but not for sporty driving. Unlike other countries where they have triptronic, here in singapore, we are stuck the the MU CVT, no thanks to PA! [:/]

But Audi is due to phase out MU CVT soon and by next year, all their model line-up except for the S and RS models would have S-Tronic a.k.a DSG

You read about it here:

http://www.audiworld.com/news/08/audi-s-tronic/

Edited by Frankma

Neutral Newbie

Thanks for the information.

I believe 9-5 is also understate. Had test drove 9-5 and the turbo lag is almost non-exist, just step hard n the power just continue to pull (never step to readline). Therefore for sure acceleration of 11.6secs is definitely way understate......

My preference is more on performance thus seems like 9-5 is more fun to own, despite it dated looks......

A4 looks better but heard CVT cannot take too much horses, thus limits it potential. And smaller interior space too......

Answer seems clear [sly]

Neutral Newbie

I believe that they are providing a factory ECU upgrade for the Saab, that sound go to almost 8s(0-100).. I test-drove it, and it was torquy.... It's very comfortable, but true, the dash does look outdated.

The interior will grow on you...

agree that initial look is outdated.. but as times go by, you will grasp why it's like that [sly]

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Decided on 9-5, and must be 06 model, will be shopping around soon.....

seems many black color in 2nd hand market but I dun like black cos hard to maintain [:/]

limited 06 model too but quite a bit of pre-06 (heard many problems so better get latest facelift model)

Edited by Skywalker

i thot the 9-3 looks more sportier ? saab has an understated look but the turbo engine is quite well received ...

like the 9-3 convertible .. think it is one of the best looking convertible around ..

[:)]

Actually, the Saab equivalent of the A4 should be a 9-3, and not a 9-5.

Get a 9-3 Aero, then get BSR stage one software ($1k+), and within 5 minutes you have a car with 247bhp and 388nm that no CVT A4 can touch.

I would go got A4.

The interior and exterior are both better looking and the front grill of the Audi is really fierce! [sly]

New Audi is really overpriced but if you buy 2nd hand is worth it! [thumbsup]

I agree that 2nd hand audi is very worth it. I saw a 16th month old A4 for sale at 95K. which is a really good price.

Neutral Newbie

9-3 too small for my family, thus need a 9-5.

Actually in SGP road a normal Saab with stage 1 is more than enough, unless go NSHW then probably at least 250bhp is require.

↡ Advertisement