Is non-power steering car hard to drive?

Ahtong

Heard from my mum that she learned driving on a car with no power steering and it was very xiong. Are non-power steering cars really that hard to drive or is it because women have lesser strength? Can some old bird kindly share his experience?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

as long as the car is moving its actually not that hard to steer.

the xiong part is when the car is almost stationary and u want to steer, like during parking

The first 2 cars i drove Subaru J10 and Viki M70 were non-power steering. Actually if tyre pressure is right the steering is not that heavy, just that when doing 3-point turn or tight parallel parking abit siong.

• Praise 1

Those days only premium cars have power steering.

Non-power steering is not that bad. The only tough part is parking; which in any case, should not turn the steering when the car at still.

• Praise 2

Since we are on the topic of power steering, what is the diff between electric and pulley power steering?

Does both systems use power steering fluid?

• Praise 1

I drove an old VW Beetle with no power steering and a/c for a couple of days.

It's damm xiong when you have to negotiate quick succession of tight turns at low speed (for eg. in multi-storey carparks). But filtering and switching lanes on the road to me is not so much an issue (although it does take more effort).

Just recently, the power steering pump on my current ride went kaput and I experienced intermitten loss of power steering. Just like my experience with the Beetle, I had a hard time when trying to park. It got so bad that I had to avoid multi-storey carparks altogether.

It will be siong for new drivers that are used to power steering now.. especially those who likes to turn their wheels at stationary...

Actually there's a technique to it. Your car need to move then steer... then it is ok.. I remember a friend of mine... a man.. sweat like hell trying to park my Civic ( no power steering )... if the method is right, not siong laa..

Anyway even now it's a good practice to always steer the car when it is in motion rather than stationary...

• Praise 1

How heavy is the wheel when parking without power steering? Can a normal guy do it with 1 hand? I remember my grandpa driving an old Datsun with no power steering way into his 70s.

Electric uses a electric motor while the other uses hydraulic system to move the pump.

Electric dun sap power cos only when you turn the wheel then the electric motor moves. bad thing is that it has no feel...usually over assisted.

yah, u got to keep moving at very low speed and the weight will be manageable. Anyway, heard that even with power steering, it is not advisble to turn the wheels when stationary cos it does some damage.

Anyway, just to go off the main topic, remember the 80s when Automatic was a Big Deal and u have to annouce it with big words behind?

I remember my dad's Datsun had this after market a/c unit installed below the center console. It has this green light housed in a diamond shaped cover. Strange.

Also the radios w/o cassette. The pre-set channels are spring loaded. When you press one button, the other one will go "Tiak" and the needle will bounce across the display. Strange.

Seems like everything was optional in those days.

Heaviest car I drove without power steering...the Datsun BlueBird...1.6L that weights a TONNE !!

Parking is not funny...if you dunno how to feather the throttle...can forget about parking.

The car that I learn driving on was the Datsun 1200....no power steering but not a issue. The worst for me is the test vehicle...cos the day I took the test in the afternoon...some student bang it in the morning and I had to make do with a makeshift car. I got 1 hour to try it and then take test liao....

I really struggle when I was trying to get the car out from the parallel parking lot...hand to use both hands to pull....the tester tot I "sibeh useless" steer also so cham...he tried and he said...WAH LAU EH.... [:p]

I think the test car I drove had power steering one...but I think it was rosak...so I suffer.

My first car... Datsun 120Y... and yes it got all those stuff you mention about aircon and the radio...

Purchase it when the car is already 18 years old... 2yrs usage for $2.2K! come to think of it, not bad. First car buy in cash!!!

You all makes me feel so old sia...

• Praise 1

Would say its pretty manageable. Esp when compared to the old 3 tonners.

Just allow the car to move a little before attempting to turn the steering wheel. Thus cant "cheat" at the parking.....

Also I reckon those cars w/o power steering have better "feel".

i drove one such car during CNY... it's hard if the car is stationery so i had to half clutch in order to turn the steering but I still need 2 hands to turn the steering. Overall still not tat bad lah

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Drive 3 tonner before.

Cars without power steering is not much of a kick after that..

Yeah, I remember the old Merz w/o power steering. 3 point turn quite xiong. Turn until sweat.