Checking for pre-owned cars

Yattokame

Hi,

I was just looking around for a convertible for the missus, and came across one which she has quite taken a fancy to. Price was good, certified as 'A' for inspection, etc; except that when I started the engine. The idling rpm was 1500 approx. Is this normal? The car has a manual transmission. What could be wrong with the car?

Anything else I should check?

thanx!

↡ Advertisement

On cold start there is auto choke function to up rpm due to rich mixture...Normal

After you drive the car for say 1km or even lesser, the engine will be warm and the autochoke will be off, then the rpm will be below 1000

Hi,

I was just looking around for a convertible for the missus, and came across one which she has quite taken a fancy to. Price was good, certified as 'A' for inspection, etc; except that when I started the engine. The idling rpm was 1500 approx. Is this normal? The car has a manual transmission. What could be wrong with the car?

thanx!

the idling should drop to normal after a minute or two.

if it doesnt, it could be purposely tuned up so that it doesnt die.

anyway if you identify the car, maybe some fellas here have owned it before and can advise better.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Hi,

thanx!

Some cars have high idle on cold start. It is done to heat up the engine and other components quickly so it can meet emission requirements. Most evident is an RX-7... the cold start idle is about 3000rpm[sweatdrop]

Here's what you have to do to check it... slip the clutch and move off. It should come down quickly

Edited by Maffie

(edited)

thanx for the reply. :)))

From wikipedia,

"Chokes were nearly universal in automobiles until fuel injection replaced carburetion in the late 1980"

so.... is it still the choke function? The car is a very new performance model...

Edited by Yattokame

(edited)

the idling should drop to normal after a minute or two.

if it doesnt, it could be purposely tuned up so that it doesnt die.

anyway if you identify the car, maybe some fellas here have owned it before and can advise better.

Hi there, thanx for reply

I have identified the car in another thread and asked for feedbacks but no replies so far :(((

it's actually this car

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.ph...590&DL=1172

The dealer refuses to let me test drive so I cant really check the condition of the car.

I'll try it again to see if the rpm drops... thanx! :))

Edited by Yattokame
↡ Advertisement