Changing Timing/Alternator/Aircon Belt

Siewss

The maintenance interval for the belt change was 60kkm according to the owner's manual. The odo is showing 76kkm.

Any recommendation of a workshop who can get the job done for < $200? The AD is asking > $400 [shocked]

↡ Advertisement

you never state wat is your ride? but dun think 200 can cover everything,cost of the item are already 200 for korean cars..look out at the list of stockist in the forum for your ride and call them for quotes ,then ask your friendly workshop for quote for labour charges

whats your make/model?

My previous car, the belt cost me $80+ and the labour was $100. But then when you do that, you probably also will change engine oil + oil filter....then those will cost additional.....

Just change my timing belt today. As usual, also replace the water pump, tension pulley, aircon belt at the same time.

Also c/out 60K km servicing, replaced spark plug, air and oil filter. All in below SGD 600, labour cost inclusive.

I think this price looks ok, any comment to share from any one?

I'm driving a Getz. The timing belt set which includes the timing belts and the usual related parts - fan belts, water pump etc cost $165 from stockist. Labour is $100 inclusive of coolant drain/change and regular servicing (EO, sparkie, filter, etc). ALready $265 and have not add in EO/sparkie/filter cost yet.

Think <$200 quite hard for parts and labour? Or are you just asking for labour charges?

its normal....timing belt is quote tedious to replace...trust me on this...and timing belts cost alto mroe than yr average belt cos they're designed to last for 70,000Kms or more....and when u buy the timing belt usually they come together with the tensioners and bearings....tts one MUST change if not it'll cause yr belt to fail as well...You wouldnt wanna spend $$ on a new engine just cos u saved a few tens of dollars on that...

(edited)

I'm driving a Getz. The timing belt set which includes the timing belts and the usual related parts - fan belts, water pump etc cost $165 from stockist. Labour is $100 inclusive of coolant drain/change and regular servicing (EO, sparkie, filter, etc). ALready $265 and have not add in EO/sparkie/filter cost yet.

Think <$200 quite hard for parts and labour? Or are you just asking for labour charges?

Hi, may i know where you change? My Getz currently @ 74000km . What need to be change as i didnt went to Komoco since 3rd servicing and done my normal servicing at Shell Autoserv ( Petol Station ) , thks

Edited by Hp93868686

you never state wat is your ride? but dun think 200 can cover everything,cost of the item are already 200 for korean cars..look out at the list of stockist in the forum for your ride and call them for quotes ,then ask your friendly workshop for quote for labour charges

It's a Hyundai Verna. The belt shouldn't cost > $100, and base on my judgement, the labour cost shouldn't cost > $100 either. Though I don't think it a complex task, I'd prefer to send my car to a reputable workshop. at least in the area of skill and workmanship.

whats your make/model?

My previous car, the belt cost me $80+ and the labour was $100. But then when you do that, you probably also will change engine oil + oil filter....then those will cost additional.....

It's a Hyundai Verna. The price for your belt change sounds reasonable. I understand that oil/filter change are separate charges but that largely goes by the package offered or the items you've selected to replace. Belt change normally means big bucks, so I wanted to be sure I'm not unnecessarily

over paying.

Just change my timing belt today. As usual, also replace the water pump, tension pulley, aircon belt at the same time.

Also c/out 60K km servicing, replaced spark plug, air and oil filter. All in below SGD 600, labour cost inclusive.

I think this price looks ok, any comment to share from any one?

What's the price of the timing/aircon belt change alone? and what car are you driving?

This price means you didn't service at Komoco. Is it necessary to change the water pump at the same time?

I think if you get everything done at < $300, that would indeed be a good deal.

its normal....timing belt is quote tedious to replace...trust me on this...and timing belts cost alto mroe than yr average belt cos they're designed to last for 70,000Kms or more....and when u buy the timing belt usually they come together with the tensioners and bearings....tts one MUST change if not it'll cause yr belt to fail as well...You wouldnt wanna spend $$ on a new engine just cos u saved a few tens of dollars on that...

Can I confirm, if I send my car to a workshop and tell them to change the timing/aircon/alternator belt, the tensioners and bearings are assumed to be provided by default, or I have to specifically spell it out to the workshop?

Normally the reason why the water pump is replaced along with the belt is because if you are changing the timing belt, you need to dismantle alot of things including up to the water pump too. And then water pump normally last 100k. And for my previous car, belt change was at 100k. So of course I had the option to change together. But when they took out the water pump, I felt it was still in a good condition.

My water pump cost $65? some belts were also changed at $10-$20ish.

Strange why your timing belt recommended change interval was only 60k....

My ride was Optra at present, the recommended belt change in the manaul wa 60000km. my previous ride civic recomended belt change was 100,000km. But base on my experience with my pass five car, Charade, Civic ESI, Civic 2001, VW Bora, Optra, The Civic ESI and Chevrolet Optra

are the two cars I like best, Civic for it's nimble handling when I was younger ,and Optra for it's stability, space and comfort as I grow older.

Timing belt change need to take out a lot of things in order to replace the belt. Therefore it is good to take the opportunity to replace other things like water pump, belt tensioner, alternator belt etc. It is not that these part are faulty, but it is just a good opportunity to change up all these parts. So you do not have to worry so much.

My old Civic Esi timing belt was changed on the 5th year and has no problem until I sold it on the 8th year.

I am sure you do not want to go to the workshop too often when these common things started to fail one by one. Better to replace them once and for all.

Normally the reason why the water pump is replaced along with the belt is because if you are changing the timing belt, you need to dismantle alot of things including up to the water pump too. And then water pump normally last 100k. And for my previous car, belt change was at 100k. So of course I had the option to change together. But when they took out the water pump, I felt it was still in a good condition.

My water pump cost $65? some belts were also changed at $10-$20ish.

Strange why your timing belt recommended change interval was only 60k....

Funnily enough, I don't see "water pump" as a replaceable parts listed in the maintenance table. Will the workshop changing the timing belt ask or I have to spell it out?

Yeah, the replacement interval for the timing belt is 60kkm - maybe because it's a combo belt (timing/aircon/alternator), therefore more prone to wear/tear. I'm already 16kkm above the stipulated change schedule.

My ride was Optra at present, the recommended belt change in the manaul wa 60000km. my previous ride civic recomended belt change was 100,000km. But base on my experience with my pass five car, Charade, Civic ESI, Civic 2001, VW Bora, Optra, The Civic ESI and Chevrolet Optra

are the two cars I like best, Civic for it's nimble handling when I was younger ,and Optra for it's stability, space and comfort as I grow older.

Timing belt change need to take out a lot of things in order to replace the belt. Therefore it is good to take the opportunity to replace other things like water pump, belt tensioner, alternator belt etc. It is not that these part are faulty, but it is just a good opportunity to change up all these parts. So you do not have to worry so much.

My old Civic Esi timing belt was changed on the 5th year and has no problem until I sold it on the 8th year.

I am sure you do not want to go to the workshop too often when these common things started to fail one by one. Better to replace them once and for all.

Yes, the ESI is a fun car to drive, probably more fun than today's FDs. Anyway, is your Optra's belt a combo (Timing/Alternator/Aircon)? I guess the belt is the item that will be 1st to wear out, followed by the other items. I wonder if it's safe to change water pump, belt tensioner, bearings etc at 120kkm instead.

Funnily enough, I don't see "water pump" as a replaceable parts listed in the maintenance table. Will the workshop changing the timing belt ask or I have to spell it out?

Yeah, the replacement interval for the timing belt is 60kkm - maybe because it's a combo belt (timing/aircon/alternator), therefore more prone to wear/tear. I'm already 16kkm above the stipulated change schedule.

Oh! I've never heard of such combo belts. Mine...timing is timing. The fan belts are exposed, are cheap cheap belts that can be replaced every 20-30km or whenever you see them starting to have cracks.

I changed mine at 90K and costs ~ $950. That is w/o the tensioner (use back old one as WS claimed its alright). From the breakdown, the labour itself was about $200 already.

Items changed out. :

- Timing belt

- Power Steering Pump belt

- Aircon compresssor belt

- Water pump

- Coolant

- 3 bearings

- Water pump seals

↡ Advertisement