OBD / iPhone car performance monitoring system

Billcoke

bought the OBDkey couple of yrs back..no worries, can be toggled to our metric meaurement..

Does these tools do what they advertised, to monitor the car perfromance, or is it a gimick?

the only concern is the compatiblity with our car... as in JDM ODB2 port or european ODB2

same as scanguage, my JDM cannot use.. whereas my ford is okie to use... ended i sold the thing to a subaru... can use...

so a bit of heng suay i thing... unless stated confirm.

the only concern is the compatiblity with our car... as in JDM ODB2 port or european ODB2

same as scanguage, my JDM cannot use.. whereas my ford is okie to use... ended i sold the thing to a subaru... can use...

so a bit of heng suay i thing... unless stated confirm.

What is JDM? does the ODB2 system work for BMW?

(edited)

Jap JDM cars... and european cars ECU not same... altot using same port ODB2.....

one eg. JDM 4 door sedan Civic Type R... and 3 door Civic Type R from euro

thus jap...brands computer or pigggy backs like HKS... might not work on euro cars... example...

like scanguage only works on european cars and selected jap cars...

Edited by Circuit

Jap JDM cars... and european cars ECU not same... altot using same port ODB2.....

thus jap...brands computer or pigggy backs like HKS... might not work on euro cars... example...

Didn't know there is a difference between JDM and ECU. The manufacturer only said that compatible with cars built after 1996.

Guess need to check with the supplier before ordering.

You know anybody that you use IRev for Iphone version? or is ODBKey a better software for monitoring performance and diagnostic of cars problem?

JDM OBD implementation don't have pin 5 if I remember correctly. Just use those JDM obd readers will do (I've a blitz obd reader in my car for my

previous and current JDM car).

U can see info like throttle, ignition timing degree etc. Interesting to have but useless if you don't understand the data generated.

Neutral Newbie

I hope I can get some advice for the fellow bros here.

May I know where is the OBD2 port located (Toyota Axio)?

Is it the same socket used by the PIVOT 3 Drive, PIVOT Racing Monitor RM07 etc.?

Do you think there is any compatibility concerns if I get the wireless OBDKey device?

Neutral Newbie

I had located my ODB2port.

Now, do you think there is any compatibility concerns with these wireless OBD devices?

The product may not work on JDM cars, better check with the manufacturer to confirm.

I had located my ODB2port.

Now, do you think there is any compatibility concerns with these wireless OBD devices?

Neutral Newbie

Thanks, I will check it out. But the my pins location looks compliant with the OBD2 standards. It's relative new you see.. Anyone who tried it before maybe can advise further...

JDM implementation of OBD2 is different from the standard OBD2 implementation. I know because my current and previous cars are both JDM.

Pin 5 is not required for the celica which I used previously unless things have changed for the current Toyota JDM cars.

Thanks, I will check it out. But the my pins location looks compliant with the OBD2 standards. It's relative new you see.. Anyone who tried it before maybe can advise further...

Neutral Newbie

True true.. But the manufacturer gave me vague answers on the compatibility.. hmm...

anyway, probably it is not practical to use iphone as gauges, coz the loading and detection probably takes some time. a bit troublesome to do that everytime

can we buy this OBDkey in S'pore? hope someone can advice. Thanks.

just got an 32sg iphone, so exploring the applications all over.

yup, i've also been locating @ devtoaster or obdkey locally, but seems not able to locate any local shops/distributors that leads these usages . . . sigh

i dunno if obdkey can really fulfill the actual obd2 usage, i.e. read, diagnos and remove/reset errors altogether.....scantool etc. actually only reads errors only, resetting erros are by means of ecu resets that may appears again.

if devtoaster works as monitoring gauges, then can it really reads from obdport on more dedicate readings like temp/press for oil, water, a/f ratio, voltage/current, etc..... besides measurng speed, torque, power, etc..... (eg. boost is not standard obd readings, thus supported by only aftermarket tools)???

all these, i have yet received any confirmations from the respective manufacturer/advertiser............sigh.

really looking for tips, advises or share the experiences if anyone out there has good experiences on the above - usages of obdkey & devtoaster etc.

thanks!

Edited by A_korusawa

Neutral Newbie

Ya.. But actually as I think about it, the setup may not be practical for everyday usage i think.. as mentioned, it needs time to load up, the iphone needs battery power source, the fixing of iphone in the car is also probably something too think about..

↡ Advertisement