Accident vs cyclist question

Requiemdk

Hi guys,

I've just been involved in a low-speed collision with this kid on a bicycle. What happened was he cycled against the flow of traffic (very fast for a bike too) around a blind corner just when I came through the corner. I managed to brake to a stop, but he didn't and he collided with my bumper and his head cracked my windscreen. He had a small cut and that was it while my bumper and windscreen are now both cracked. Question is: cyclists have no insurance... does that mean that I have to foot the repair bill myself? [smallcry]

↡ Advertisement

woah is the cyclists ok?? [sweatdrop]

for a windscreen to crack, the impact must have been quite hard! [crazy]

He had a small cut on the left side of his forehead. He was more worried about the bike because it wasn't his! After the impact he actually got up and walked away himself and started making calls to his friends.

I wasn't expecting the windscreen to crack since it was quite slow, but I guess with the weight of a person behind the impact, even a low speed collision is enough to crack it...

wow. 50-50 if u ask me. drivers are at an losing end. i encounter something similar as u. this sch kid was against the flow and at a fast speed while i was turning left at a fast speed too cuz traffic light turning amber. only difference is i managed to avoid him. thanks to my re001. my old gIII probably skidded.

u might wanna ask his parents to claim. go lodge an accident report at any police post to safeguard urself. if the mata refuse to lodge, get him to write u an notice of compliance. which a brief detail of ur accident will be recorded down and u will be given a copy. another copy they will send to TP.

for tis case i believe is hard to claim..u can file a claim against him by engaging a lawyer but i believe it may be troublesome.most importance is the cyclist is not suffering frm any internal injury..or else though is not totally ur fault,if he suddenly die ohoh..

IMHO, unless you have evidence of what you said, it is useless to claim from the cyclist.

he can turn it around to say he stop and you never.

For windscreen, just claim. won't affect NCD.

Bumper just pay out of you own pocket

you should make a report to your insurance company....and to a police station if they let u...just as a record....windscreen can claim insurance mah...won't affect premium and ncd...bumper too bad fork out your own lor....unless you want sue the boy.....in the end waste time waste energy...no point....that's singapore....parent don't know how to teach.....

Oh the TP came and made measurements and a police report was lodged too. Details have all been recorded, though his parents were nowhere to be seen. I'm prepared to fork out the repair bill, just that it feels kind of dumb if it wasn't my fault in the first place. More irritating than the repair bill is the downtime for the car man - not sure if a windscreen for my car can be so easily sourced due to the age and now rarity of the car. All this because some kid felt like he owned the road... [bounce1]

Best thing is, after everything was cleared up, his friends continued cycling against traffic around the bend...

i think you should come to an amicable settlement with him and his folks. probably 50-50. even 50-50 you will earn also. go by insurance, is as good as your fault. because bicycle no insurance.

That's what I'm worried about.. Cyclists have no insurance so if stuff like this happens it's tricky to settle things [sweatdrop]

for tis case i believe is hard to claim..u can file a claim against him by engaging a lawyer but i believe it may be troublesome.most importance is the cyclist is not suffering frm any internal injury..or else though is not totally ur fault,if he suddenly die ohoh..

Lawyer? Yeah that sounds troublesome and a bit overkill. Can't tell if there're any internal injuries - sent him to hospital via ambulance for a check up already. The way the accident looked, you could probably sustain more severe injuries if you jumped off a railing and landed on your hands. I know the way the law works in sg, all it takes is for the family to turn around and change the story and I'll be in trouble. Just hope the photo evidence taken at the accident scene is enough to prove that I wasn't chionging around the corner to kill someone. Maybe it's time I consider installing one of those video cameras...

Maybe it's time I consider installing one of those video cameras...

As the shoe god Nike said "Just do it!"

Still considering? Next time, the kid may not be so lucky to get up and walk away. And the driver may not be so lucky to still consider... [sweatdrop]

Turbocharged

cyclist and motorbike rider are the worst case.

Whether you are right or wrong, the law will always stand by them.

Pray hard that the cyclist did not file a claim against you. It may takes 6 months or so for you to receive the letter.

cyclist and motorbike rider are the worst case.

Whether you are right or wrong, the law will always stand by them.

Pray hard that the cyclist did not file a claim against you. It may takes 6 months or so for you to receive the letter.

not true, lots of accidents where bikes rear end cars, the claim will be against the biker's insurance. Also recently, 1 day jail for a driver causing serious injury and death says much about the laws protecting motorcyclist~

Hi guys,

I've just been involved in a low-speed collision with this kid on a bicycle. What happened was he cycled against the flow of traffic (very fast for a bike too) around a blind corner just when I came through the corner. I managed to brake to a stop, but he didn't and he collided with my bumper and his head cracked my windscreen. He had a small cut and that was it while my bumper and windscreen are now both cracked. Question is: cyclists have no insurance... does that mean that I have to foot the repair bill myself? [smallcry]

After all is just a kid. We are all once young too. But then the parents should take full responsibility. (Chinese Proverb : Son not teach, father's fault! :blink: )

Hi guys,

You'll be charged for a traffic offence...sued BIG time by their parents.....pay a very hefty insurance premium if you want to continue to drive..

That is the REALITY of what is going to happen in the coming months or years!

Neutral Newbie

how old is the kid? was he wearing a helmet? b'cos to crack the windscreen, the impact must have been quite hard. better pray the kid is alright and had not suffer any severe internal injuries.

it's better that you make a police report and to your insurer. if you want to repair the damages, make sure the damages are well recorded just in case this accident comes back to haunt you sometime later.

You'll be charged for a traffic offence...sued BIG time by their parents.....pay a very hefty insurance premium if you want to continue to drive..

That is the REALITY of what is going to happen in the coming months or years!

Riding against the flow of traffic is also a big offence. Unless police is an idiot, he would notice that it is a head-on collision. Under Road Transport Act, bicycle is deemed to be vehicle. Under the act, cyclist is supposed to ride in an orderly manner with regards to safety of other users. As this kid clearly violates this rule, the best he could get is mayb 50%.

↡ Advertisement