Implement Pollution/CO2 Tax Just like UK

Nmnhnlm

I think its a good thing to implement pollution tax just like UK. This way normal Sedans etc pay lower tax compared to higher performance (and of course more pollution) cars pay more.

Eg. a 2L WRX would pay the same road tax as a 2L Sedan say.... Cerato. But the WRX produces more CO2 compared to Cerato thus need to pay more CO2 tax.

Those exotic cars produces the most CO2 and pollution and hence they will be taxed gao gao. Maybe something like 20-30K a year (Still small change to them though).

↡ Advertisement

Supersonic
(edited)

When I saw the first post, I immediately remembered some other "green-eyed" posts in the forum, so I did a search under the OP's user name. I wasn't disappointed. Other topics started by the OP include "Govt should Raise ERP and Petrol Prices!", "Surcharge for Those Who Own More than 1 car" and "Just Now One Super Loud Ferrari at Orchard Road".

The OP doesn't hide his "elite-hate" under a bushel, with other choice topics like, "Lets Own the Elites and their cars on the road!!", which got locked pretty quickly.

One would think the OP is all about egalitarianism, sedate and economical driving, etc. But strangely, the OP has also started topics like, "Stop Driving Like a Whimp! (sic)" and "Humji Drivers causes (sic) Traffic Jams." (another thread which got locked).

Even more strangely, for a guy who seems to be all about making motoring more expensive (for whatever reason), he's also started a topic entitled, "Time to Scrap COE....".

In summary, the OP doesn't seem to be able to make up his mind whether he wants motoring to be more or less expensive. And while he wants petrol prices to go up-up-up, and an emissions tax to be introduced, he also advocates driving like a c*nt on the roads, which would definitely burn petrol and generate more greenhouse gases. All he's been consistent about is that he hates those he perceives as elite.

In short, the OP is a green-eyed troll. Feel free to ignore him. Or feed him if you like that sort of thing, who am I to judge? [laugh]

Edited by Turboflat4

When I saw the first post, I immediately remembered some other "green-eyed" posts in the forum, so I did a search under the OP's user name. I wasn't disappointed. Other topics started by the OP include "Govt should Raise ERP and Petrol Prices!", "Surcharge for Those Who Own More than 1 car" and "Just Now One Super Loud Ferrari at Orchard Road".

The OP doesn't hide his "elite-hate" under a bushel, with other choice topics like, "Lets Own the Elites and their cars on the road!!", which got locked pretty quickly.

One would think the OP is all about egalitarianism, sedate and economical driving, etc. But strangely, the OP has also started topics like, "Stop Driving Like a Whimp! (sic)" and "Humji Drivers causes (sic) Traffic Jams." (another thread which got locked).

Even more strangely, for a guy who seems to be all about making motoring more expensive (for whatever reason), he's also started a topic entitled, "Time to Scrap COE....".

In summary, the OP doesn't seem to be able to make up his mind whether he wants motoring to be more or less expensive. And while he wants petrol prices to go up-up-up, and an emissions tax to be introduced, he also advocates driving like a c*nt on the roads, which would definitely burn petrol and generate more greenhouse gases. All he's been consistent about is that he hates those he perceives as elite.

In short, the OP is a green-eyed troll. Feel free to ignore him. Or feed him if you like that sort of thing, who am I to judge? [laugh]

Not happy feel free to complain to the mods....

Supersonic
(edited)

Is that the best you can come up with, troll? [laugh]

Oh, and learn to use the quote function properly - makes you a more effective troll.

Why would I want to sic the mods onto you when you have the potential to give me so much merriment?

Anyway, troll, I see you've already been hard at work creating two more boliao, elite-hating topics, "Do You Ever Give Way to Those BMW/Merc/Porsche etc?" and "Pwn a Lambo on the road....". Good job.

Edited by Turboflat4

Is that the best you can come up with, troll? [laugh]

Oh, and learn to use the quote function properly - makes you a more effective troll.

Why would I want to sic the mods onto you when you have the potential to give me so much merriment?

Anyway, troll, I see you've already been hard at work creating two more boliao, elite-hating topics, "Do You Ever Give Way to Those BMW/Merc/Porsche etc?" and "Pwn a Lambo on the road....". Good job.

then let me entertain you more. How abt a race? can take video and post here entertain others as well.

Supersonic

then let me entertain you more. How abt a race? can take video and post here entertain others as well.

Are you talking about a race on public roads, troll?

(edited)

u reali think govt will give lower tax to sedan cos of the new CO2 tax?

Nooooooo.. CO2 tax will be on top of current Normal tax..

Sound like u juz wan to get faster or more expensive cars to pay more tax den u..

Edited by Nf0rc3r

I totally agree.

I drive a hydrid car to go green, exhaust is euro 4, or equalivent of a small compact car emission.

But green people also kena pay higher road tax than standard petrol model. No logic.

Pollution/Co2 tax structure will encourage people to go for cleaner & greener car.

http://www.euractiv.com/en/climate-environ...nth-news-319788

http://www.carbon-info.org/carbonnews_050.htm

UK has it and EU is proposing to implement it as well. Thus I won't be surprise to see SG implement CO2 tax next time.

IMHO, CO2 tax is quite a good thing as it makes people to consider the amt of emissions the car is producing and encourage people to go for greener cars. Thus even if the engine is the same capacity, the CO2 tax will be difference if the engine is not that efficient or if its turbo/supercharged.

Seriously, I would prefer gov to plant emphasis on emissions rather than engine capacity. As FI becomes more popular esp. for smaller engine capacities, the CO2 produced by these smaller engines have increased as well.

I agree. In the past engine capacity corelates to increased emmisions but due to better technology advancements they can produce smaller cc cars with high bhp. Cars shd be charged in accordance with the bhp they produce, not engine capacity anymore. So called cleaner cars with high bhp may produce low emissions during a normal EEC regulated drive but can produce a huge amount of emissions when being used they are designed to be used.

I agree. In the past engine capacity corelates to increased emmisions but due to better technology advancements they can produce smaller cc cars with high bhp. Cars shd be charged in accordance with the bhp they produce, not engine capacity anymore. So called cleaner cars with high bhp may produce low emissions during a normal EEC regulated drive but can produce a huge amount of emissions when being used they are designed to be used.

thats why they impose tax on petrol. no cars in sg is exempted.

the more u drive (pollute), the more u pay, more power likely uses more petrol. So if u buy supercar, dun drive, use zero petrol, u dun get the petrol tax.

Thus, if u practice frugal driving then u clock more mileage and use less fuel than others, less tax.

This topic is about road tax structure? The point is that it is archaic to continue to tax on engine capacity since that premise that higher capacity pollutes more is no longer true.

Btw, just to poit out that emissions I wrote = CO2. Its not about those pollutants from cars like smog, nox, co etc.....

New technology and FI allow small CC engines (eg. 1.4L twincharged engine from VW) to perform like a 2L NA or even more powerful.

However, this also means the CO2 produced from the 1.4L is higher than conventional 1.4L NA. To produce more power, you definitely need to burn more petrol. While you can reduce harmful emissions, you cannot reduce CO2.

This topic is about road tax structure? The point is that it is archaic to continue to tax on engine capacity since that premise that higher capacity pollutes more is no longer true.

nope. the topic is about pollution tax. nothing to do with road tax.

There are many things that create much more pollution than cars eg factories.

The question is how do we try to minimise the pollution or co2 we create which wreak havoc on Mother earth. The UK experience suggest we should tax cars in accordance with their efficiency/co2 emissions and not engine capacity. Engine capacity is very archaic manner of taxing cos many cars with low capacity can produce much higher co2/pollution. I suspect however the Sg govt will not take the same route. Maybe they will have a hybrid taxation cos they wanna whack people who are wealthy enuff to buy high cc cars.

↡ Advertisement