Recommended workshop to change wheel bearings

Limws1

Hi,

Anyone has good workshop to recommended for wheel bearings replacement? I prefer a ws that is equiped with a hydraulic press and the mechanic needs to be skillful in changing wheel bearings. Not use a hammer to knock in the bearings. Thanks.

For those who are interested how wheel bearings should be properly replaced, you can click on below link:

How to change wheel bearings

↡ Advertisement

If you are doing front wheel bearing, make sure the mech manually pack the tapered roller bearing. Here you hardly see carry out this very important task, most of them just lightly apply grease on the rollers.To do a good mechanical work , they also need to have set of bearing puller and installing set.

post-272-1286149021_thumb.jpg

post-272-1286149040_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. My concern is that not many workshops know how to replace wheel bearings properly resulting in shortening of wheel bearings lifespan. So do you have any workshop to recommend that can do a good job?

Very sorry its more than 10yrs ,since then I have stop visiting them for business.

It will be extremely difficult to come across shops well equip to do any job as most of them are mainly jacks with limited skills and tools.

Some cars comes with complete set of wheel hub with wheel bearings built in. So can't change bearing alone. Gotto replace the hub as well.

I'm driving a Ford Focus Mk1, the wheel bearings is independent of the hub assembly. For Ford Focus Mk2, one has to replace the whole hub assembly including the wheel bearings.

1201568.jpg

Thanks, just realized my long-time workshop has a hydraulic press. Didn't notice after so many visits there.

I'm driving a Ford Focus Mk1, the wheel bearings is independent of the hub assembly. For Ford Focus Mk2, one has to replace the whole hub assembly including the wheel bearings.

Any idea what is the cost of whole hub assembly for Mk2 Focus?

I heard Mazda 3 cost S$450/pc if done by AD. [crazy]

Any idea what is the cost of whole hub assembly for Mk2 Focus?

I heard Mazda 3 cost S$450/pc if done by AD. [crazy]

AD charge around $500 for hub assembly plus labour. Hub assembly itself costs around US$137 if purchase from the States. Thankfully, I drive a Mk 1.

AD charge around $500 for hub assembly plus labour. Hub assembly itself costs around US$137 if purchase from the States. Thankfully, I drive a Mk 1.

I found out that WS oustide is charging S$240/pc for rear bearing. So 2 hub means S$480 compared to AD that cost S$900!!! [;)]

BTW.. how long can the wheel bearing last... also do we need to lub this bearing during our normal maintenance.. and if so.. what is the interval...

beside this bearing, are there other bearing that need an occassion re-greasing..

also what is the effect of a worn or broken wheel bearing...

(edited)

BTW.. how long can the wheel bearing last... also do we need to lub this bearing during our normal maintenance.. and if so.. what is the interval...

beside this bearing, are there other bearing that need an occassion re-greasing..

also what is the effect of a worn or broken wheel bearing...

Factory fitted wheel bearings can last more than 100,000km. Lifespan of replacement bearings will depend on skils of the mechanic doing a good job. If bearings is not installed properly, you can see the lifespan cut by half.

It is not necessary to maintain the wheel bearings because accessing it will require removing the hub nut. The hub nut can only be re-used a few times due to the high torque strength needed to tighten it.

One way to tell if the wheel bearings is worn out is to jack up the car and try to move the wheel at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions. Presence of free play means the bearings are gone. However it is not usually the case like for my case, there is no free play but noise from the wheel that sound like one is driving on 4x4 tires. The sound is loudest at around 70 - 80 km/h. If cornering at around 60 km/h and the noise disappear, you will be able to tell which side bearings is worn out. E.g, if cornering left and the noise disappear, then it is the left bearing that is damaged because the weight of the car ease on the left side resulting in less load on the left wheels. When straightening out, the noise will return. If never have noise from the tires before, then it most likely to be the wheel bearings.

You should always replace wheel bearings asap when it is spoilt because prolong driving on bad bearings will cause damage to the wheel hub which require replacement of the whole hub assembly.

Edited by Limws1

Another way to test wheel bearing is to jack up the car, use 1 hand to hold on to the shock absorber while another hand spins the wheel.

If you feel something like grinding vibrations on the shocks, means your wheel bearing is worn. ^_^

Neutral Newbie

i'm going to change my ford focus mk2 hub soon.... as mentioned focus mk2 need to change whole hub ...went to hoover was quoted $280/pc for rear hub and $180/pc for front hub ....

I brought the wheeling bearing from one of those AV spare part shop. Upon collecting of wheel bearing asked the owner of spare part shop to recommend a nearby ws. Eventually 1 pcs OEM wheel bearing (with Hub) plus labour cost me $105. [laugh]

(edited)

Did you observe how they replace the wheel bearings? Please share your experience. I would think replacing the whole hub is much easier than removing the old bearings and replacing with a new one.

Edited by Limws1
↡ Advertisement